Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
but at least they had a chance to live.
This is a new one. Even from the bible thumpers. I guess you consider this some sort of silver lining?

Quote:
I find this pontificating about his moral duty from the immoral MSM absurd.
So I guess for anyone to say that when someone knows of children being raped rampantly, there is some threshold to pointing out it is immoral. Maybe you need to say so many hail marys before pointing this out? How many would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
I wonder how this will reflect recruiting? Many kids go to Penn State so that they would get a chance to play for Paterno. How many of their parents will be turned off from the fact that Mcqueary is still there? I would knowing that this man witnessed the molestation of a young boy and did nothing about it

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Have you ever played the telephone game as a child? There is a reason why hearsay is nonadmissable in a court of law. Personally what I would do is agree to accompany the individual who told me this to the authorities.
Hearsay is not admissable in court but is certainely reason enough for authorities to take action.
And if Paterno had told authorities what had happened they would have questioned McQuery and he would have had to testify for the grandjury much before 2009.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Did you read the report?
Yes. Yes I did. Thanks for asking.

I find it best to read something before I link others to it.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is the epitome of poor taste and there is absolutely nothing funny about the sexual exploitation of children.

You are the problem.
Tell me, in your own words, how you think the communication between Paterno and Sandusky would have gone.

Be creative, or, just be yourself.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
See I don't get this he actually saw the act but gets to keep his job.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,487 times
I'm still waiting for some conservative to assert that somehow this is Obama's fault, or that this is a democratic scheme to raise their taxes.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I have some Questions .
Other than 2nd hand information , from another coach , who didn't call 911 is there some fact based information , that I do not see that tells us Paterno knew that children were being violated ?
The prosecutor who knew about it from extensive investigation was made to disappear.

Would his replacement want to continue the investigation?

Uh, uh.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think that's a valid point to remember, and I think that might explain why it was somewhat easy for Paterno and his superiors to make the wrong decisions in this case. As I've said before, this was not as easy as reporting some thug breaking into your neighbor's house. This person at the center of this controversy was someone they had worked with for years; someone that everyone - from former players to the senior staff of the university - thought they knew; someone they believed, based on everything they had seen about this man for years, was honorable. It just didn't add up. They probably felt that they had to see it to believe it. Of course one guy actually did see it...and he didn't report it either. Perhaps he was in denial of what he saw.

I know people are up in arms about this and wondering how Joe Paterno could have sat on it, but the truth is all around us. Ever read a story about people standing and looking at each other as some guy gets beaten to death? Ever known or known of someone who refused to believe that his spouse/partner was cheating despite credible witness testimony? This kind of stuff happens all the time. Ordinary people deny reality, and it's not always because they're sinister. It's sometimes because they're afraid of the truth. I guess we can just call it situational cowardice. So maybe that's what Joe is, a coward.

And that's exactly why many states have laws on the books that force officials to report cases of sexual abuse. They have decided that giving people the option to come forward or not is going to let too many fiddlers off the hook. They don't want that option available. We now see why. There must be accountability here.
On the proactive end, there is usually some kind of situational blackmail that occurs in these circumstances.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
On the proactive end, there is usually some kind of situational blackmail that occurs in these circumstances.

I'm guessing due to the cover up there had to be some sort of black mailing going on! Hell, I wouldn't put it past that the powers that be didn't black mail Joe Paterno in some way shape or form. That's why I said in another post on another thread about this topic, that were I the one who witnessed it, I would be the one in jail, because I would've stopped it! At that point I certainly wouldn't give a flying f*** about losing my job, because if my employer is going to cover it up and sweep it under the rug such as this, then I don't want to work for them anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies