Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

meh... I hate country music anyways and the whole shtick that goes with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh - the modern stuff (yes, I listen on occasion - commuting is a b*tch) doesn't hold a candle to the classics. Does anyone today sing with a bit of fire in their belly? We used to get lyrics like:

While Carrie Underwood is much easier on the yes than old Johnny, "Jesus, take the wheel" just doesn't carry the same - ooomph, somehow.
Much of todays country is very cookie cutter, not a lot of heart and soul. For my money, no one holds a candle to Conway Twitty.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You mean like all of the country singing trailer trash that you listed?
Are you refering to the ghetto thug rappers, that sing about killing, drugs and beating there b*tches and hoes?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
You mean like all of the country singing trailer trash that you listed?
....by your standards, if these country singers are "trailer trash", then most of the professional athletes must be "ghetto dwellers".

Right?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:54 AM

10,035 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Sorry but I am not impressed by a "mansion" in hillbilly country.
Have you even looked at some of the mansions in Tennessee? If Alan Jackson's hillbilly mansion can't impress you, nothing can.

http://www.luxist.com/2009/07/05/ala...te-of-the-day/

Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,738,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Have any Northerners ever been successful at training their voice to twang southerly?
probably, but IMO its more than just a twang, its the drawing out of words and in some cases its switching words around in a sentence or adding/taking away words.

for example:

north:
i'm going to get flowers from the store.

south:
i'm going to get me some flowers from the store.

north:
he was thinking about her.

south:
he was thanking bout her.

*shrugs*

you'd have to live in the south for a few in order to pick some of these things up. if you don't have experience with it, you'd just try to add a twang and you'd sound fake or like you're over exaggerating it...but if an english or aussie actor(actress) can do a convincing american accent, then i'm sure a northerner can do a convincing southern accent.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
So this is all it takes to get righties excited? Some hillbilly calling Obama Hitler?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So this is all it takes to get righties excited? Some hillbilly calling Obama Hitler?
...seems that it is the elitist lefties who are "excited"

Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Have you even looked at some of the mansions in Tennessee? If Alan Jackson's hillbilly mansion can't impress you, nothing can.

Alan Jackson Lists His Tennessee Home For $38 Million

However.....its in Tennessee. It like putting a castle on a trash heap.

Sorry but you could put Buckingham Palace, the Taj Mahal and the Palace of Versailles in Tennessee (or Kentucky or West Virginia, etc) and I would not like them.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
However.....its in Tennessee. It like putting a castle on a trash heap.

Sorry but you could put Buckingham Palace, the Taj Mahal and the Palace of Versailles in Tennessee (or Kentucky or West Virginia, etc) and I would not like them.
Tennessee is a beautiful state, ever been to or see the Smokey Mountains, it is not all rednecks and hillbillies. Stereotype much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies