Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Have any Northerners ever been successful at training their voice to twang southerly?
Quite a few. There have been country singers from the northern US and from Canada, even some from New England (very, very few from the NYC metro area, though...)

Not to mention that Robert Plant had a country hit last year and he's not from anywhere close to the American South....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:49 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,199 times
Didn't really care for Hank Jr with the Monday night Football Intro in the first place.

To each his or her own.

Did not care for Hank Jr. Before and really dont care for him after.
and it had nothing to do with Obama or Hitler.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Bless him for having the "bowling apparatus" to tell the blunt truth, publicly, that millions upon millions of Americans are "whispering" about.
lol I am going to have to steal that "bowling apparatus" phrase from you.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 PM

10,035 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
However.....its in Tennessee. It like putting a castle on a trash heap.

Sorry but you could put Buckingham Palace, the Taj Mahal and the Palace of Versailles in Tennessee (or Kentucky or West Virginia, etc) and I would not like them.
LOL.... Don't worry I know several country stars also have homes in Southern California.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh - the modern stuff (yes, I listen on occasion - commuting is a b*tch) doesn't hold a candle to the classics. Does anyone today sing with a bit of fire in their belly? We used to get lyrics like:

While Carrie Underwood is much easier on the yes than old Johnny, "Jesus, take the wheel" just doesn't carry the same - ooomph, somehow.
Wayne Hancock and of course Hank III -- can do the classics as well as anyone.

Thunderstorms and Neon Signs - YouTube

Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its a "fly over" state. The closest I'll get to TN is to fly over it in on my way to New York
Coming from a native of LA, I'm sure the people of TN couldn't possibly be happier with this statement. When flying from one dump to another, please stay as far away from fly over states as possible.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM

564 posts, read 892,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post

Absolutely beautiful, loved it thanks for posting OP!!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wayne Hancock and of course Hank III -- can do the classics as well as anyone.

Thunderstorms and Neon Signs - YouTube
He sounds somewhat like his gandpap.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:27 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
I viewed the video and liked it...

I thought it was done with class, dignity and a bit of humour...

I've been a fan of Hank for about the last 8 years or so...I like his music...I like his 'raw' style of singing...

He is a very well trained musician...I once saw a video concert of his where he went around and play like 5 other instruments...

When he was a kid his dad, Hank Sr, would take him over to Chubby Checkers house, where Chubby Checkers would school him on the piano...

Hank has 'soul'...One of the few Country artist left who still does...

I have no qualms with the guy at all...

An intimidating figure to some though, cause the guy kinda comes from the old south country scene...

But he's not 'racist'...he attended the funeral of Waltor Payton, the black QB of Indianapolis Colts...

And he has performed with various 'black artist'....

He's just a good ole sloppy country boy from the old south, they don't make them like that anymore...

And he's very honest in his songs...and I like that...I love people and artest who are honest in their songs, whether early Cube or Hank Jr...

Go on with ya bad self Hank...

Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
But he's not 'racist'...he attended the funeral of Waltor Payton, the black QB of Indianapolis Colts...
I thought Walter Payton was a running back for the bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies