Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,967,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Her best round for 9 holes last season was a 38.

For 18, an 85.
That is great. If she can get it into the 70's she will be looking at a scholarship. I can putt and chip fairly well. She can get down into the 70's by working on those two parts, but people rarely enjoy practicing those two skills. I can putt for hours. That probably explains why i have a bad back. Should probably go to the long putter.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,008,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
That is great. If she can get it into the 70's she will be looking at a scholarship. I can putt and chip fairly well. She can get down into the 70's by working on those two parts, but people rarely enjoy practicing those two skills. I can putt for hours. That probably explains why i have a bad back. Should probably go to the long putter.
Yes! It's the PUTTING as her coach likes to tell her when she has a so-so round with 20 putts. Need to be in the 15-18 range if you want to be really, really good.

Now, the little one is a phenomenal putter - she has the eye!

Even the lower 80s will get you a scholarship nowadays, but you have to really put yourself out there. Below 80, in the mid-to-low 70s, the schools come looking for you.

Well, she's only a sophomore, so she has time to get there. Its consistency right now with her - if her short game is good, her long game is so-so and vice versa. Putting it all together is the key.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM

20,494 posts, read 12,417,712 times
Quote:
That sucks, but think about all the time that you have now. Golf is a dang time burner. I wish there was a way to play quicker.

Still, I love to play. I am sorry that you don't get to play anymore. I am having problems with my back. I keep stretching it every day so that I can play a little longer.

well, coaching little league baseball for my son takes a lot of that time anyway. I love it and we have a good time going to the cages for batting practice.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yes! It's the PUTTING as her coach likes to tell her when she has a so-so round with 20 putts. Need to be in the 15-18 range if you want to be really, really good.

Now, the little one is a phenomenal putter - she has the eye!

Even the lower 80s will get you a scholarship nowadays, but you have to really put yourself out there. Below 80, in the mid-to-low 70s, the schools come looking for you.

Well, she's only a sophomore, so she has time to get there. Its consistency right now with her - if her short game is good, her long game is so-so and vice versa. Putting it all together is the key.
Well putting is something you can practice in the house. It is actually better because you don't have to worry about if you were reading the green correctly. I tried chipping in the house but I broke too many things.

If she is only a sophmore, she will do great. I don't doubt that she will be in the 70's if she can keep from being distracted by boys.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I let my neighbor's daughter use the range. She has a teenage girl that really did not care about anything. She started hitting a couple of years ago and she qualified for State this year. It has completely changed her. It gave her a lot of self confidence and now she is thinking about going to college. I think I can help her get a scholarship. She would play in college with or without a scholarship.
Good on you for letting the girl find herself.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well, coaching little league baseball for my son takes a lot of that time anyway. I love it and we have a good time going to the cages for batting practice.

Well I think that would be a lot more enjoyable than having a bad round of golf. I can't wait until my son gets old enough to play baseball. I am hoping that my back will last for a while so I can play golf with him.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well putting is something you can practice in the house. It is actually better because you don't have to worry about if you were reading the green correctly. I tried chipping in the house but I broke too many things.

If she is only a sophmore, she will do great. I don't doubt that she will be in the 70's if she can keep from being distracted by boys.
I just bought the Putting Arc for the girls, now that you mention it. Will be installing some kind of "grass" blanket so the girls can practice with it.

What type of "green" would you suggest for the house?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,784,262 times
I have always considered golf a sport for bored senior citizens

Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Good on you for letting the girl find herself.
I enjoyed watching someone have the desire and then really working at it. My wife plays too. She can crush the ball. They competed a lot. I think she is the one who made her better. I think she really looks up to my wife. I married up.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have always considered golf a sport for bored senior citizens
I know right. Well I did not start to play until I was in my late 20s. Your options become less and less the older you get. I am hoping my son starts to play when he is young because it is a sport you can play for most of your life. Unlike football, baseball etc. For a lot of sports, after high school it is pretty much over. Tennis would be an exception.

Watching the british open last year and watch a 59 year old man competing against 20 year olds in a major tournament was something to see. What other sport is that possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies