Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry888 View Post
They still get tips? I am surprised, I assume you don't allow tipping.

But anyway, there are no excuses for ones black or not for not tipping service workers who get paid less than minimum wage, can't afford tipping and being cheap don't eat out period.
Yes, they still get tips. Why would I not allow tips? I want my staff to get what they can... they're worth more than the $12-$16 I pay them.

Skin color should not play a factor in who gets how much... whether through tips or wages.

Tipping is not mandatory and anyone who wants to go out to eat, or even come to the restaurants at my hotels and leave no tip are welcome to do so. As long as they pay their bill and behave civilized.

And finally, tipped staff make a minimum of $7.25/hour or are letting their employers break the law (in which case, who cares about them?).

Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 PM

417 posts, read 365,777 times
I also knew there was a study. And tonight was another example of bad black tippers. Had a table in my section, these two ladies who were obviously not ghetto and were probably even educated beyond high school, at least it seemed that way. Bill was 42 bucks, they left me 4 dollars and some change which is about 10%. Not great, but not good either and definitely was expected. I joked around with them, even gave the one lady a bunch of free bread to take home to her husband. They told me I was "a doll."

I just don't think they understand the concept of tipping. It isn't as though I think I'm entitled to a great tip, but when the majority of my tables at least tip me 15% but more than likely 20%, that 10% kinda sucks and makes you feel under appreciated.

Also I had a table of white trash hillbillies tip me 4 on a 62. This WAS expected and they were complete and utter trash and treated me like trash. My manager warned me that I would have difficulty with them because they come in a lot and sure enough the mom was already buzzin hard. So it isn't as though it's limited to blacks, whites and everyone else can tip ****ty too.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
The study is not so much about blacks not tipping it's about tipping less because of not being aware of the standard tipping rate.

Also:

"....He says cultural elements — blacks have avoided sit-down restaurants in favor of take out or self-service eateries — institutionalized racism that exists in the restaurant industry and education about tipping are all behind the discrepancy. "How do people learn about tipping? If you don't go, you don't know."

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM

25 posts, read 23,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
The study is not so much about blacks not tipping it's about tipping less because of not being aware of the standard tipping rate.

Also:

"....He says cultural elements — blacks have avoided sit-down restaurants in favor of take out or self-service eateries — institutionalized racism that exists in the restaurant industry and education about tipping are all behind the discrepancy. "How do people learn about tipping? If you don't go, you don't know."

The biggest BS about not tipping because ones "don't know", many Americans and foreigners already know about proper suggested tipping, there are no other lame excuses beside being ignorant selfish and cheap persons. Period.

Not tipping has bigger impact on racial stereotyping but when much of this stereotype is true then it's time to fix it from within.

African Americans who are aware on these problems should start to do straight talk to their own kind. Folks, stop being ignorant and cheap. Respect and appreciate your servers when they have done outstanding jobs. Be reasonable and stop showing attitudes and be demanding.

Barack Obama and Bill Cosby have talked on many problem in AAs community and AAs better listen to them and follow their advice instead being persons in constant self denial.

If I go out with my friends and they start to show some attitudes to their servers and don't tip, I definitely will say something to them.
And that will be very blunt on their ears.

If they got offended that our friendship will end so be it.

From how ones tip and treat others will reflect on their personality by the way. Whether they're kind, generous, respectful and have empathy on others or just stingy, bitchy, bitter, selfish and cheap jerks.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, they still get tips. Why would I not allow tips? I want my staff to get what they can... they're worth more than the $12-$16 I pay them.

Skin color should not play a factor in who gets how much... whether through tips or wages.

Tipping is not mandatory and anyone who wants to go out to eat, or even come to the restaurants at my hotels and leave no tip are welcome to do so. As long as they pay their bill and behave civilized.

And finally, tipped staff make a minimum of $7.25/hour or are letting their employers break the law (in which case, who cares about them?).
Not mandatory but appropriate..............

Well your establishment can choose to mark up the prices to the menu to give higher salary to your employees and it's up to you as the owner.

But some establishments will rather let the customers reward their servers for their service performed while lowering the price in the menu instead.
When this happened then there are no lame excuses for anyone for not tipping servers that have done their job properly and have met their satisfaction or even above and beyond on it. This is the system that exist in the vast majority of US full service restaurants.

Those who don't believe in tipping and are not happy on tipping anyone then
should do other alternatives for their meals that don't require tipping at all.
Fast food joints, self serve joints, take outs or restaurants that have policy of no tipping necessary and compensate their employees by decent salary already.

Any cheap ignorant who still expect VIP treatment and service but don't want to pay the extra price and premium should be ashamed on themselves.

It's like flying budget airlines but expecting hot delicious meals on their flight, personalized checking and reservation with live agent and beautiful georgeous flight attentive attendants who always treat them like royals.

or in simpler illustration but pardon my XXX example here

don't want to pay a sex worker for a "full great service" than please help your self out for "self relief" and stop complaining.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 AM

Yea, and the "myth" that restaurant food is overpriced is hilarious to me. Many restaurants, even busier ones like Olive Garden barely make a decent profit. Some don't ever make a profit at all, like certain Applebee's, while other Applebee's that do make a slight profit have to allocate money towards the ones at a loss to keep them afloat.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Yea, and the "myth" that restaurant food is overpriced is hilarious to me. Many restaurants, even busier ones like Olive Garden barely make a decent profit. Some don't ever make a profit at all, like certain Applebee's, while other Applebee's that do make a slight profit have to allocate money towards the ones at a loss to keep them afloat.
Well, prices are published well, it's up to ones to patronize them, no obligation, but still no lame excuses for not tipping properly in full service restaurants when the servers have done their jobs up to customer expectation and satisfaction.

No ignorant excuses such as "AAs" or "French" or "Canadians" don't know about tipping etiquette in the US.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

I get people in my restaurant all the time who look confused and angry when they get the bill, which is perplexing to me.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
So basically, you don't have it? Good to know.
How do I post links to personal experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies