Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

An African American waitress in Towson, Maryland is claiming that her boss ordered her to serve only Black customers who entered their Applebees location.

The waitress, 27-year-old Courtney Haywood, filed a discrimination lawsuit after being fired earlier this year.

Black Waitress Only Allowed To Serve Black Patrons At Applebees | News One

Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
As someone who is mostly unsympathetic to whiny race issues, that's pretty messed up.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An African American waitress in Towson, Maryland is claiming that her boss ordered her to serve only Black customers who entered their Applebees location.

The waitress, 27-year-old Courtney Haywood, filed a discrimination lawsuit after being fired earlier this year.

It's really no different than the police recruiting specific ethnic backgrounds to work in areas populated by the same. I don't like that either, but I'm not sure if there's a problem here. (legally)

Morally? Yes.

On the other hand, maybe this came up because she has displayed an obvious attitude with other races? I've had that happen, and have tipped accordingly.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I find it hard to believe this popped up out of nowhere, with no catalyst. Because if it did, she has the dumbest manager on the whole damn planet.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:58 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
Messed up.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
If true, she'll never have to waitress again, instant millionaire.

Not saying that she doesn't deserve it, but thats what she'll get, if true.

I'm one of the few folks you'll find thats an innocent until proven guilty type.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If true, she'll never have to waitress again, instant millionaire.

Not saying that she doesn't deserve it, but thats what she'll get, if true.

I'm one of the few folks you'll find thats an innocent until proven guilty type.
Instant millionaire for that? Give me a break.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Default Sounds like bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Just because she claimed it does not make it so.
I would first like to know if she has a history of litigious actions.
Reason is, for Applebees no matter what it is cheaper to settle for 30 or 40k out of court rather than go to court and fight at a cost starting near 65k.
Also, the insurance companies might end up settling for Applebees on a fiscal basis as well.
Sounds like crap to me though.
I remember the black fellow who worked a day at a lighting company and then asked if his job would be there when he got back from Jamaica? He was told no, that he didn't pass the trial period and that they were hiring someone to work NOW.
When the guy came back he sued and the insurance company gave them 20 or 30k. Wasn't because they were right, but because the other way would cost 65k or more no matter what.

This kind of stuff doesn't help black employment either IMO.
We live in a crazy world.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Sounds like a personality issue. I'm not hearing discrimination.

Although the general reputation in the restaurant industry is that blacks are horrible customers and servers of all races try to minimize their exposure to black patrons. When I waited tables during undergrad, servers used to call Black patrons "Canadians" and pay hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. Ironically this was done mostly black servers who did this as the white servers still operated under the illusion that all customers were equal.

I find it hard to believe a restaurant manager in this day and age would be so bold as to assign a server a black section but I guess it's possible if the other servers are finding ways not to serve them.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Depends. Was the request done in order to make the black patrons feel more at ease by having a black waitress?

Was the waitress fired because she refused this request? Or was she fired because maybe she was always late getting to work?

See this is what political correctness has wrought. People can no longer just serve people, now we have to separate groups into colors and sexual-orientation in order for other groups to "feel more comfortable", thereby making nobody feel comfortable around others.

Political correctness has ironically made us a more racist nation than we ever were. Score another "divide and conquer" point to the 'progressive' Democrats.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sounds like a personality issue. I'm not hearing discrimination.

Although the general reputation in the restaurant industry is that blacks are horrible customers and servers of all races try to minimize their exposure to black patrons. When I waited tables during undergrad, servers used to call Black patrons "Canadians" and pay hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. Ironically this was done mostly black servers who did this as the white servers still operated under the illusion that all customers were equal.

I find it hard to believe a restaurant manager in this day and age would be so bold as to assign a server a black section but I guess it's possible if the other servers are finding ways not to serve them.
No one knows that happened, could be the typical con of claiming race for a quick pay day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies