Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why don't they just add on the gratuity to the bill like they do on cruise ships?
Would make things simple... but there's a lot of wait staff that deserve no tip, and a lot that deserve high tips.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 AM

300 posts, read 250,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I am sticking to the facts. Try reading comprehension. They make atleast $7.25/hr. They never make just $2.13 per hour. You just proved yourself wrong.

I never said anywhere they make $7.25/hr plus tips.... even though, they often do.
Lol if you can find a restaurant that actually makes up the difference, post it everywhere. Every server in the U.S. would thank you.

It may be supposed to happen, but it simply does not.

The area I live in slows down tremendously during winter. Assuming a server makes $2.33 an hour, and works lets say 30 hours a week....here is the math:

30 hours x $7.25 an hour = 217.50 - This is the minimum the server should take home for that week.

30 hours x 2.33 an hour = 69.90 - Servers wages earned

217.50 - 69.90 = 147.60 - The amount the server would need to make in tips for the restaurant not owe them any additional funds.

30 hours, so lets use an industry standard and say 6 hour shifts, so thats 5 shifts needed to make 147.60.

If the server doesnt make $30 per shift or more, the restaurant would be required to make up the difference, but that doesnt happen for one simple reason: The restaurant can extend the period by which the server has to make up the difference, meaning one good shift can clear the restaurant from owing them more money.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
Lol if you can find a restaurant that actually makes up the difference, post it everywhere. Every server in the U.S. would thank you.

It may be supposed to happen, but it simply does not.

The area I live in slows down tremendously during winter. Assuming a server makes $2.33 an hour, and works lets say 30 hours a week....here is the math:

30 hours x $7.25 an hour = 217.50 - This is the minimum the server should take home for that week.

30 hours x 2.33 an hour = 69.90 - Servers wages earned

217.50 - 69.90 = 147.60 - The amount the server would need to make in tips for the restaurant not owe them any additional funds.

30 hours, so lets use an industry standard and say 6 hour shifts, so thats 5 shifts needed to make 147.60.

If the server doesnt make $30 per shift or more, the restaurant would be required to make up the difference, but that doesnt happen for one simple reason: The restaurant can extend the period by which the server has to make up the difference, meaning one good shift can clear the restaurant from owning them more money.
You are indicating that this is a widespread problem. If that's the case, choosing to be a server is stupid.

It doesn't apply to my restaurants because they're base pay is higher than the state minimum wage to begin with. Who in their right mind would choose to work for $2.33/hr?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
You are indicating that this is a widespread problem. If that's the case, choosing to be a server is stupid.

It doesn't apply to my restaurants because they're base pay is higher than the state minimum wage to begin with. Who in their right mind would choose to work for $2.33/hr?
People who like cash daily, and those who seek to avoid paying taxes.

My hourly is 6.25, my first year in WI I made a little over 50k in tips, and an average year in my old home of Las Vegas, I cleared a little over 70k.

Best part is, I only reported the absolute bare minimum as required by my employer and have never actually paid a dime in federal income taxes.

A very good friend of mine left a high paying salary job in Vegas and became a bartender to avoid paying the extortionary alimony payments the courts imposed on him. He lives a cash lifestyle now and has had the amount reduced exponentially because the income his ex is able to prove he makes is based on $6.50 an hour and a nominal amount of tips that he is required to report. The hilarious part is in reality, he makes very close to what he did at his previous job, yet has more disposable income due to the reduction in alimony payments.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:

My hourly is 6.25, my first year in WI I made a little over 50k in tips, and an average year in my old home of Las Vegas, I cleared a little over 70k.

Best part is, I only reported the absolute bare minimum as required by my employer and have never actually paid a dime in federal income taxes.

A very good friend of mine left a high paying salary job in Vegas and became a bartender to avoid paying the extortionary alimony payments the courts imposed on him. He lives a cash lifestyle now and has had the amount reduced exponentially because the income his ex is able to prove he makes is based on $6.50 an hour and a nominal amount of tips that he is required to report. The hilarious part is in reality, he makes very close to what he did at his previous job, yet has more disposable income due to the reduction in alimony payments.
Got it, to cheat the system.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Got it, to cheat the system.
Lol if you are referring to the criminally corrupt and unconstitutional system, then absolutely yes.

I chose bartending as a profession for quite a few reasons, and yes, tax free income is one of those reasons. My job is fun, I meet interesting people (yes, including lots of ladies), and I simply could not do some monotonous office job that requires early hours and the typical corporate BS that large numbers of people are forced to tolerate. I did flare bartending in Vegas, which required an obscene amount of hours of practice at home, but the net benefit was ALOT more money in my pocket, and as a result, the place I worked made more money as well.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:

Your friend is a cheat.
Did you have to pay taxes on your income? Oh never mind,I see you didn't.
I should have quit nursing school to become a waitress.
You made more than me when I first became a nurse,2x as much actually.
Heck,that's still more than I make now.

So,think its still fair you can get tips and I can't?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Lol if you are referring to the criminally corrupt and unconstitutional system, then absolutely yes.

I chose bartending as a profession for quite a few reasons, and yes, tax free income is one of those reasons. My job is fun, I meet interesting people (yes, including lots of ladies), and I simply could not do some monotonous office job that requires early hours and the typical corporate BS that large numbers of people are forced to tolerate. I did flare bartending in Vegas, which required an obscene amount of hours of practice at home, but the net benefit was ALOT more money in my pocket, and as a result, the place I worked made more money as well.
Nobody pays taxes. The difference is most people are legally not paying taxes. You chose to do it illegally.

There are plenty of jobs that have those benefits. My job has many of those benefits. Not that there's anything wrong with being a bartender. But I'm just saying there's a lot freedom in a variety of occupations.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Sounds like wage discrimination to me. I used to wait tables.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The thing is,most people don't tip the taxicab driver or the beautician.
Anyone on here saying blacks are bad tippers in restaurants,do you tip the above?
I would say about 12 dollars an hour.

My question for you,why can't nurses aides and everyone else get tips?
Speak for yourself. *Everyone* I know including me tips cab drivers and their barber.

And yeah, blacks are bad tippers. When I was waiting tables, the wait staff (including the blacks) would argue over who had to wait on black customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies