Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times

Advertisements

It's very interesting to learn that when I enter a restaurant, I am expected to be stingy and demanding just because I'm black. Especially so, since I *never* complain at an establishment where they are responsible for bringing me food to eat.

In all honesty, though I tip at 20%, I sometimes have a problem with it. What exactly is a waitress/waiter doing for me? Besides bringing the plate from the kitchen to my table (and in some cases, my own waitress/waiter didn't even do this, but instead it was someone in the kitchen staff!). Bring me water/soda. I rarely get refills when I dine out. So, while I do tip, the bottom line is some waitresses/waiters deserve to make $2.33 an hour.

I also agree that if tipping were so important, it should an automatic 15% inclusion on checks. You can tip more if you choose if the service was great. Sadly, I've found that places that automatically include the tip are usually the worst as far as service goes.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,421 times
I'm betting there's more to this story. I do know this, almost every white person I've known that works the service industry has had more problems serving blacks than other races. Complaints, eating their entire meal then refusing to pay because "it didn't taste right", skipping out, no tips.
Maybe the lady took what her boss wanted her to do out of context.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Maybe there is sometime of action reaction going on.
Whites think black customers aren't going to tip well,so they give poor service to them.
Meanwhile,the black customers don't tip because of the poor service.

I wonder though,do white customers tip black waitstaff well?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
In all honesty, though I tip at 20%, I sometimes have a problem with it. What exactly is a waitress/waiter doing for me? Besides bringing the plate from the kitchen to my table (and in some cases, my own waitress/waiter didn't even do this, but instead it was someone in the kitchen staff!). Bring me water/soda. I rarely get refills when I dine out. So, while I do tip, the bottom line is some waitresses/waiters deserve to make $2.33 an hour.
i don't know about that last line, but i tend to agree that the simple act of bringing a glass of coke and a plate of food 20 feet and setting it down doesn't seem worth a 20% cut..

Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe there is sometime of action reaction going on.
Whites think black customers aren't going to tip well,so they give poor service to them.
Meanwhile,the black customers don't tip because of the poor service.

I wonder though,do white customers tip black waitstaff well?
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Though I still tip at 20%, it is REALLY hard to do this when I've received subpar service. BUT, I do it anyway reasoning that they make their money off of tips. Others might not be so generous.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's very interesting to learn that when I enter a restaurant, I am expected to be stingy and demanding just because I'm black. Especially so, since I *never* complain at an establishment where they are responsible for bringing me food to eat.

I also agree that if tipping were so important, it should an automatic 15% inclusion on checks. You can tip more if you choose if the service was great. Sadly, I've found that places that automatically include the tip are usually the worst as far as service goes.
Of course. If the tip is automatic, why the hell should they put forward an effort?

A tip if for GOOD service. It being up to the diner is designed to insure good service.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
People,for the Last time waitstaff make minimum wage.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
thats a good point i saw a couple posts ago. a white waiter may think they wont get a tip because his table is black. the white has that in his head the whole time and provides sub par service to the black table. there is no reason the white should expect a tip when his mind from the get go was made up, sub par service is sub par service.

if the white removed those beliefs from his head and provided solid service, he probably would've been tipped. when you start off the service with the belief you arnt going to get anything, your service is naturally going to be below average. you *********rself in the end.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
I've been in the restaurant and bar industry for over 10 years, and the stereotypes are 100% correct.

If a table full of black people enters a restaurant or bar, you can be guaranteed 2 things:

They will complain about everything and they will severely undertip, if any tip is left at all.

Stereotypes are not racist if they are continually proven correct.

There could be 1 out of 10 or 20 people that fit the stereotype and all of a sudden it becomes a proven fact for ALL.

I am Black and....
I tip very well for good service 20-25%+
I tip average for average service 15-20%
I complain to management immediately for poor service

Anyone can take any group and stereotype their tipping habits but it just so happens that C-D tends to be anti-Black. Yet nearly every group has been accused of being bad tippers...Asians, Brits, Christians, very rich people, etc, etc.

Are we TWA? (Tipping While Asian?) | You Offend Me You Offend My Family

Asian Bad Tippers

VitalAdvice - Who are the worst tippers in restaurants?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
I'm a server part time and I HATE serving blacks. Just got stiffed last night, I still treat them the same as any other table but they are demanding and treat you like you are scum.

It's common throughout the industry, everyone knows it and servers aren't afraid to openly discuss their dislike of black patrons. I feel bad for black people that DO tip good because we automatically assume they are scum of the earth until after they pay their bill, in which we classify them as "one of the good blacks" after they tip appropriately. No, 2 bucks on a 100 dollar tab is not an appropriate tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies