Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM

417 posts, read 365,829 times

Advertisements

Look, you choose to be a member of society or you don't, and when you go out to eat you need to follow the rules and customs of society. Such as if you know your screaming little **** head child is gonna kick and scream the entire dinner, then maybe you need to find a babysitter. Or if you know it isn't acceptable to create a temper tantrum just because it took four minutes for your third water refill to come out (server was probably busy, you aren't their only table), but feel like doing that anyway, then maybe go to McDonalds to eat where you can refill your own water.

Tip the 15%, and if the service sucks tell the manager and maybe feel justified in not tipping.

But don't do all those things and expect to be respected, your respect is earned and it is a two way street between servers and customers. If you don't want to follow the unwritten rules of society, then expect that a few times down the road people are going to treat you like the dog you are.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:09 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Look, you choose to be a member of society or you don't, and when you go out to eat you need to follow the rules and customs of society. Such as if you know your screaming little **** head child is gonna kick and scream the entire dinner, then maybe you need to find a babysitter. Or if you know it isn't acceptable to create a temper tantrum just because it took four minutes for your third water refill to come out (server was probably busy, you aren't their only table), but feel like doing that anyway, then maybe go to McDonalds to eat where you can refill your own water.

Tip the 15%, and if the service sucks tell the manager and maybe feel justified in not tipping.

But don't do all those things and expect to be respected, your respect is earned and it is a two way street between servers and customers. If you don't want to follow the unwritten rules of society, then expect that a few times down the road people are going to treat you like the dog you are.
Wow...I have no problem imagining why you don't get good tips. You should really consider a career change. You sound like you don't even like people (you're insulting children, now?).

Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM

I usually get tipped 20%, it's very rare that I have a bad night at my restaurant unless the Bears game is on or something, or if it's Sunday because Sundays are always horrible.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:

Have you ever studied philosophy of social science and/or social acceptance and rules? Your entire "follow the rules and customs of society" isn't how a society works. Also, law by man supersedes rules of society. As a result, freedom of choice and liberty cannot be suppressed by "rules of society".

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Have you ever studied philosophy of social science and/or social acceptance and rules? Your entire "follow the rules and customs of society" isn't how a society works. Also, law by man supersedes rules of society. As a result, freedom of choice and liberty cannot be suppressed by "rules of society".

I didn't say you had to follow them, just that if you don't you will be treated accordingly.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
Quote:
I didn't say you had to follow them, just that if you don't you will be treated accordingly.
i still think if you go into it with the mentality you arnt going to get anything, your not going to get anything. it will show through, even if you appear to come across as kind and courteous. its human nature.

go in with a positive attitude, and you'll get positive results.

what restaurant do you work at?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Don't worry about where I work at. I've worked at an Applebee's in the past though. The restaurant I work at would never mess with anyone's food, and I personally have never messed with anyone's food nor would I. But I've worked with people at Applebee's and a Chili's that have messed with food, personally I thought it was despicable but then I see people on this forum with certain mentalities about tipping and I can't help but think it is almost justified.

People think the movie Waiting is all a joke and that it's just meant to be funny. The movie Waiting is a reality for many restaurant patrons across the country on a daily basis, rarely do people ever get caught though.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about where I work at. I've worked at an Applebee's in the past though. The restaurant I work at would never mess with anyone's food, and I personally have never messed with anyone's food nor would I. But I've worked with people at Applebee's and a Chili's that have messed with food, personally I thought it was despicable but then I see people on this forum with certain mentalities about tipping and I can't help but think it is almost justified.

People think the movie Waiting is all a joke and that it's just meant to be funny. The movie Waiting is a reality for many restaurant patrons across the country on a daily basis, rarely do people ever get caught though.
how do they mess with the food?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:

So someone could have a meal in a restaurant and based on how the wait staff sizes you up, will "mess with your food" based on how they THINK you will tip them?

Because it never occurred to me that the "messing with food" would occur while I was eating for no reason at all?

It seems pathological to "mess with someone's food" in a restaurant just for the hell of it. People like that need therapy.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
So someone could have a meal in a restaurant and based on how the wait staff sizes you up, will "mess with your food" based on how they THINK you will tip them?

Because it never occurred to me that the "messing with food" would occur while I was eating for no reason at all?

It seems pathological to "mess with someone's food" in a restaurant just for the hell of it. People like that need therapy.
yea. what happens if akrunner spits in the food, but then gets a good tip? damage has been done already. give people a chance for god sakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies