Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 AM

300 posts, read 250,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In all 50 states, they make minimum wage as per federal law. In all but a very few (I think 2) states, it's required by state law as well.
In most states (not all), servers make right around $2.13 an hour. Some states say servers and bar staff must be paid at least $5.15, but the majority of states do not require waitstaff to be paid $7.25 an hour

Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
In most states (not all), servers make right around $2.13 an hour. Some states say servers and bar staff must be paid at least $5.15, but the majority of states do not require waitstaff to be paid $7.25 an hour
Federal law dictates take-home for wait staff to be a minimum of $7.25/hr. There's no (legal) way around that. A state like Wisconsin, for example, dictates this same minimum rate of $7.25 per hour to be the take-home for tipped employees.

I don't know if you recently moved to the US, but it surprises me how many people who have lived here for some time don't know labor laws.... at least the labor laws for their own state.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:53 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Why don't you open a restaurant and pay your servers and bartenders $12 an hour??

You wouldn't last 6 months.

It would help if you actually had some knowledge of the topic before you choose to voice an opinion about it.

They get minimun wage in addition to any tips made.

So knowing they make minimum wage,why do they complain if someone doesn't tip them well?
No one promised them they were going to make extra money when they accepted the job.
Let's tip all the other minimum wage service positions while we are at it.
Exactly what's the difference between what wait staff do and what nurses aides do labor wise(nurses aides work even harder btw)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Federal law dictates take-home for wait staff to be $7.25/hr. There's no (legal) way around that.
Take home must come out totaling $7.25 an hour, but that includes the tip credit as well.

Servers get paid less than federal minimum because the tips are factored in usually on a weekly basis, sometimes bi-weekly. If the tips and the low hourly rate do not equate to $7.25 an hour for the period, the restaurant must make up the difference but that rarely happens. The tip credit is how restaurants can pay servers and other tipped employees less than federal minimum wage.

Further evidenced by the Dept of Labor:

Quote:
An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips
What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips? (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm - broken link)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
As you see from the posts above by NjBest,they make minimum wage.
Plus they get tips on top of that.
Some states have minimum wages higher than federal, but the myth that every server makes $7.25 an hour plus tips is simply laughable.

Try sticking to facts.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Take home must come out totaling $7.25 an hour, but that includes the tip credit as well.

Servers get paid less than federal minimum because the tips are factored in usually on a weekly basis, sometimes bi-weekly. If the tips and the low hourly rate do not equate to $7.25 an hour for the period, the restaurant must make up the difference but that rarely happens. The tip credit is how restaurants can pay servers and other tipped employees less than federal minimum wage.

Further evidenced by the Dept of Labor:

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips? (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm - broken link)
Exactly. You basically just said what I've been saying. They make minimum wage.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Some states have minimum wages higher than federal, but the myth that every server makes $7.25 an hour plus tips is simply laughable.

Try sticking to facts.
I am sticking to the facts. Try reading comprehension. They make atleast $7.25/hr. They never make just $2.13 per hour. You just proved yourself wrong.

I never said anywhere they make $7.25/hr plus tips.... even though, they often do.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Federal law dictates take-home for wait staff to be a minimum of $7.25/hr. There's no (legal) way around that. A state like Wisconsin, for example, dictates this same minimum rate of $7.25 per hour to be the take-home for tipped employees.

I don't know if you recently moved to the US, but it surprises me how many people who have lived here for some time don't know labor laws.... at least the labor laws for their own state.

I don't know that you are aware of the tip credits restaurants use in order to pay their servers $2.13 +/- a few cents.

I live in Wisconsin. My bartender hourly is less than federal minimum (7.25).

The server hourly here is $2.33.

As long as the servers make enough tips to come out to $7.25 an hour for their number of hours worked, the restaurant can pay them less.

Born and raised in the U.S., been in the service industry for 17 years in multiple states.

I am not merely stating opinion, this is fact.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I don't know that you are aware of the tip credits restaurants use in order to pay their servers $2.13 +/- a few cents.

I live in Wisconsin. My bartender hourly is less than federal minimum (7.25).

The server hourly here is $2.33.

As long as the servers make enough tips to come out to $7.25 an hour for their number of hours worked, the restaurant can pay them less.

Born and raised in the U.S., been in the service industry for 17 years in multiple states.

I am not merely stating opinion, this is fact.
If you're stating the facts, and I'm stating the facts, why are you trying to argue with me? We've both been saying the same thing, but you say it's wrong, but then prove it right.

I have part ownership in a hotel with 2 restaurants.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Why don't they just add on the gratuity to the bill like they do on cruise ships?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.