Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
If you are a good tipper like you say you are and respect the service industry like you say you do and frequent the same restaurants, guarantee you the servers there will remember you and treat you great.

And if it makes any black posters here feel better, Sundays are usually the days servers hate to serve the most because of white Church goers, who are notoriously ****ter tippers that only come out to eat on Sunday after Church.
But here's the thing...your opening post in this thread was not "I HATE White Christian church-going patrons on Sundays after church" it was "I HATE Black patrons".

Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
Actually it was "I hate serving black patrons."

Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe there is sometime of action reaction going on.
Whites think black customers aren't going to tip well,so they give poor service to them.
Meanwhile,the black customers don't tip because of the poor service.

I wonder though,do white customers tip black waitstaff well?
First of all it's not just white servers. In my experience white servers are hesitant to vocalize their displeasure about severing blacks.

There probably is an element of a self fulfilling prophecy. Waiter thinks blacks won't tip, gives them poor service and black customer tips accordingly.

Still doesn't account for the tipping disparity.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
If you are a good tipper like you say you are and respect the service industry like you say you do and frequent the same restaurants, guarantee you the servers there will remember you and treat you great.

And if it makes any black posters here feel better, Sundays are usually the days servers hate to serve the most because of white Church goers, who are notoriously ****ter tippers that only come out to eat on Sunday after Church.
Yes, but I shouldn't have to become a frequent diner to receive good service. I shouldn't have to prove myself to be treated with courtesy. That's what you don't seem to get.

And your comments about Christians doesn't make me feel any better. Why would I feel good about yet another group of people being stereotyped and treated poorly?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry888 View Post
Good luck for you, no money no honey. Let's see you can retain good servers that can deal obnoxious customers with your compensation, I wonder how great is that.
We have no problem retaining staff at our restaurants. Why do you think I would need luck? I feel that our rate of $12 - $16 per hour (PLUS tips) is competitive enough to keep our staff, which is excellent and we appreciate very much.

To put it into perspective, I coat check girl made $61,200 after tips in 2010. I think she's fairly compensated for looking pretty, upkeeping her fashion, and politely checking coats.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
First of all it's not just white servers. In my experience white servers are hesitant to vocalize their displeasure about severing blacks.

There probably is an element of a self fulfilling prophecy. Waiter thinks blacks won't tip, gives them poor service and black customer tips accordingly.

Still doesn't account for the tipping disparity.
Actually, it does. In fact, you just did.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
I have a good idea. If black folks are such bad customers, then run a campaign saying that blacks are no longer welcome at your restaurant. That'll should solve the problem, and you'll have happy servers.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Actually it was "I hate serving black patrons."
Same difference

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sounds like a personality issue. I'm not hearing discrimination.

Although the general reputation in the restaurant industry is that blacks are horrible customers and servers of all races try to minimize their exposure to black patrons. When I waited tables during undergrad, servers used to call Black patrons "Canadians" and pay hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. Ironically this was done mostly black servers who did this as the white servers still operated under the illusion that all customers were equal.

I find it hard to believe a restaurant manager in this day and age would be so bold as to assign a server a black section but I guess it's possible if the other servers are finding ways not to serve them.
Considering the fact that most people assume blacks don't tip, i can see her boss assigning her to wait on blacks since the census is we will support our own meaning we will more likely tip a black person than tip a white person. I won't go as far to say this fellow is racist but I can understand the thinking, however this goes on everywhere to be blunt.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 AM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Considering the fact that most people assume blacks don't tip, i can see her boss assigning her to wait on blacks since the census is we will support our own meaning we will more likely tip a black person than tip a white person. I won't go as far to say this fellow is racist but I can understand the thinking, however this goes on everywhere to be blunt.

Blacks tip just as ****ty to black servers as whites, at least judging by what black servers I work with have told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies