Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Actually, it does. In fact, you just did.
Nope not at all because blacks do not uniformly receive poor service. I know I would give Black customers the same level of service as anyone else and they consistently tipped worse.

Look unless you have actually worked as a server with a significant black clientele you are just not going to be able to grasp what many of us are saying.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL!

Five actually--- Friends, not Acquaintances. I have loads of black acquaintances.

If it makes you feel better, back in the day a black colleague and I used to go out after work all the time. This guy was the best tipper out there. Never failed to tip well. Indeed he taught me the fine art of tipping.

Its really not important. Europeans are the worst and they are mostly white.
Europeans also have a bad rep too. Since the tip is included in restuarants over there some are generally ignorant of American tipping customs, some are just down right cheap. I've heard servers tell them when they dropped the check that the tip is not included. Some would go so far as to write it in bold.

Still the Euros won't run you around for a variety of sauces, hot water for utensils, refills, a stack of lemons for their water because they are too cheap to order lemonade etc. like Black customers are known to do.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Moth's one Black friend agrees...thread can be closed now

I'm Black and I have never experienced my Black friends or family who did not tip well for good service.
LOL. Just this weekend I went out with a college friend, his sister and our significant others. Everyone at the table is Black. We split the check three ways. The server was good as was the service etc.

We all paid by credit card and the checks came out to about $25 each. I happened to glance what the other two couples tipped, $2 each on a $25 check. Seeing this I had to now tip more than the 20% I normally tip just to make up for their cheapness.

Anecdotal story for sure but this is an example of what many of us are referring to.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM

417 posts, read 365,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Europeans also have a bad rep too. Since the tip is included in restuarants over there some are generally ignorant of American tipping customs, some are just down right cheap. I've heard servers tell them when they dropped the check that the tip is not included. Some would go so far as to write it in bold.

Still the Euros won't run you around for a variety of sauces, hot water for utensils, refills, a stack of lemons for their water because they are too cheap to order lemonade etc. like Black customers are known to do.

Haha on the last paragraph, you pretty much nailed a lot of black customers down. At my restaurant I believe a lot of black customers believe ranch dressing is a beverage. Then they want to steal **** off our tables like our ketchups and steak sauces and sugar packets. Black tables run you around the worst and tip you the worst, and yet for some reason I still cater to their BS and put up with it, even though some days I feel like taking my sweet ass time and not giving a **** for them.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
If you are a good tipper like you say you are and respect the service industry like you say you do and frequent the same restaurants, guarantee you the servers there will remember you and treat you great.

And if it makes any black posters here feel better, Sundays are usually the days servers hate to serve the most because of white Church goers, who are notoriously ****ter tippers that only come out to eat on Sunday after Church.
Or Mother's Day, Easter etc. Those were the worst. I would call out sometimes.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have a good idea. If black folks are such bad customers, then run a campaign saying that blacks are no longer welcome at your restaurant. That'll should solve the problem, and you'll have happy servers.
Now what would they solve? A simple PSA should correct some of this behavior.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Considering the fact that most people assume blacks don't tip, i can see her boss assigning her to wait on blacks since the census is we will support our own meaning we will more likely tip a black person than tip a white person. I won't go as far to say this fellow is racist but I can understand the thinking, however this goes on everywhere to be blunt.
LOL if only that was true. If it wasn't for white customers I would never have gotten through college if I only had to rely on Black customers.

Also if she only waited on Black customers, according to your theory she would be getting paid and would see little reason to complain.

If her story is true, which I doubt, she probably was being financially harmed which is why she is suing.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
This thread is really making me reexamine my recent dining experiences. In the past, I've shrugged off inattentive waiters with the excuse that they were busy (even though the restaurants were sometimes not busy at all and I could see them serving other tables). To know that I was deliberately being treated unfairly is, quite frankly, insulting. Even without the tip (which I always give), I'm still a paying customer and I deserve to be treated with courtesy.
know, or suspect?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Now what would they solve? A simple PSA should correct some of this behavior.
It's a joke dude. I for one don't give a damn one way or the other because i demand good service and i will get it. If i don't, i'll tell the server to get the manager to give me another server. I'm quick to do that if i have to, but i don't have to put up with poor service and i won't. Ever.

I'm not gonna walk around with other folks' baggage. If the server has a problem, it better stop when they serve me. They can resume after i leave.

But i'm not gonna scream about racism on the issue. Doesn't have any bearing on my dining experience. Probably because i eat at better crapholes than Applebee's. I'd prefer to go to places where there is enough class among the clientele where the servers assume that you'll behave yourself and tip well.

Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Chili's, Roadhouse, and other dumps don't fall in that category.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry888 View Post
I am not racist but it's so true. Blacks or whites or yellows should be ashamed of themselves for not tipping properly on hospitality workers who get less than minimum wages and rely on tips for living. Stop being shameless cheap ignorant who always put hard time on servers at restaurants yet never appreciate and willing to compensate for that service properly. This is USA, can't afford tipping eat at fast food joints, do take outs or cook at home. There are no excuses for blacks, whites, yellows, immigrants, foreigners etc not to know this common sense and ettiquette. Sick of cheap demanding people.

Tipping as a percentage is wrong. The waiter did not provide any better service bringing a $10 burger than they did by bringing out a $50 steak. It took the same amount of effort. It is not my responsibility to make up for your employer not paying a decent wage for your labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies