Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Moth's one Black friend agrees...thread can be closed now

I'm Black and I have never experienced my Black friends or family who did not tip well for good service.
LOL!

Five actually--- Friends, not Acquaintances. I have loads of black acquaintances.

If it makes you feel better, back in the day a black colleague and I used to go out after work all the time. This guy was the best tipper out there. Never failed to tip well. Indeed he taught me the fine art of tipping.

Its really not important. Europeans are the worst and they are mostly white.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
This thread is really making me reexamine my recent dining experiences. In the past, I've shrugged off inattentive waiters with the excuse that they were busy (even though the restaurants were sometimes not busy at all and I could see them serving other tables). To know that I was deliberately being treated unfairly is, quite frankly, insulting. Even without the tip (which I always give), I'm still a paying customer and I deserve to be treated with courtesy.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
This thread is really making me reexamine my recent dining experiences. In the past, I've shrugged off inattentive waiters with the excuse that they were busy (even though the restaurants were sometimes not busy at all and I could see them serving other tables). To know that I was deliberately being treated unfairly is, quite frankly, insulting. Even without the tip (which I always give), I'm still a paying customer and I deserve to be treated with courtesy.
Whaddya expect from the staff at Hooters?

1,300 posts, read 1,493,598 times
Your comment below doesn't really address the issue I was referring to - I am not questioning the servers ability to work three tables. I am questioning whether a server who believes blacks are bad tippers will provide them the same level of service as the would to other customers. I don't personally believe they would.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Since most restaurants it is customary to only have a three table section, it isn't too hard to give the same level of service to three tables unless you are clueless, so yes I would expect any server to give the same service to the same three tables usually.

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
If you don't want to tip, don't go out to eat, simple as that. If you are a bad tipper and regularly visit the same restaurant, chances are you are eating someone elses DNA along with your food.
I'm not sure how this comment relates to my post explaining minimum wage laws to somebody who seemed misinformed. As to my tipping, I generally tip 20% - a bit more at breakfast (why should they get tipped less for the same service just because breakfast is cheaper?), and less if I spent a lot on expensive alcohol.

And if I ever became aware that somebody had spit in or otherwise put their DNA in my food, I'd have him arrested and charged with assault.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
There could be 1 out of 10 or 20 people that fit the stereotype and all of a sudden it becomes a proven fact for ALL.

I am Black and....
I tip very well for good service 20-25%+
I tip average for average service 15-20%
I complain to management immediately for poor service

Anyone can take any group and stereotype their tipping habits but it just so happens that C-D tends to be anti-Black. Yet nearly every group has been accused of being bad tippers...Asians, Brits, Christians, very rich people, etc, etc.

Are we TWA? (Tipping While Asian?) | You Offend Me You Offend My Family

Asian Bad Tippers

VitalAdvice - Who are the worst tippers in restaurants?
Great point.

Every group is accused of being poor tippers. Where i live, no one wants to deliver pizza to Hispanics because supposedly, they're poor tippers. Some won't give you anything at all according to legend. Now how true that is is another story, but it's out there, and i know a lot of Hispanics that resent it, as they should. My experience with them is much different.

I delivered furniture one summer many, many years ago. We did the whole Phoenix and Tucson areas. Cool job for a kid. Anyway, i was the only black on the crew, we had a few Hispanic dudes, but he majority of guys were white.

The white guys told me right from the start that doing moves at upper middle class to wealthy white homes would be the worse moves to do, and they were absolutely right. The level of abuse we endured from a lot of those folks was astrounding. Move it here, no, move it there, making false claims and accusations, telling us to take off our shoes (while moving furniture?), calling our boss and complaining about how we weren't moving fast enough (in Phoenix or Tucson...in 100+ degree heat). Many wouldn't give us any water when we ran out or told us to drink from the water hose. I have many other stories, but that's just for starters. Some of the upper class black and Hispanic families were somewhat indifferent, but not outright a-holes.

Truthfully, the best homes to move were always the working class Hispanic or black people. They would feed you, make sure you had cold water, thank you for the work, empathize with your work conditions, and generally make things as easy for us as possible. They made the job worthwhile.

So it's easy to brand one race as this or that when it comes to service or tipping. It's best to look at people as individuals and leave it there.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
Most of you "just don't get it" but then again most of you have never been employed at a restaurant. Until that day comes, what you have to say over the matter means little to me. And Choclot I'm sorry that you feel you aren't being treated the same, that sucks and is unacceptable.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
It is quite maddening. And very sad. This thread is actually very upsetting and disturbing to me.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 AM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
Quote:
It is quite maddening. And very sad. This thread is actually very upsetting and disturbing to me.
If you are a good tipper like you say you are and respect the service industry like you say you do and frequent the same restaurants, guarantee you the servers there will remember you and treat you great.

And if it makes any black posters here feel better, Sundays are usually the days servers hate to serve the most because of white Church goers, who are notoriously ****ter tippers that only come out to eat on Sunday after Church.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Service has gotten horrible across the board. Even fast food restaurants are brutal nowadays.

I went to get some chicken from KFC for my crew a few days ago and there must've been 8 people in line with one register open. At that pace, it would've taken 20 minutes to get to the register to make my order because the same guy running the register was putting the orders together.

I wasn't having it, and i told him to get the manager out there. When she came out, i told her that this level of service is unacceptable...people aren't supposed to spend their whole lunchtime in lines. She got angry...i could tell, but she got another register opened and manned it herself.

And sit down restaurants aren't much better. Inattentive servers is the new norm nowadays. I still give the 25% tip regardless because i usually can't bear to tip any less, but it does make me angry. Hopefully, it's not about race, and i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies