Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM

124 posts, read 174,727 times

Advertisements

This explains the poor service I've received in the past. I tip appropriately and wondered how some waitstaff kept their jobs. I had a boyfriend once that was a very good tipper. We met up for dinner to catch up on things and I found him skimping on the tip and wondered if that was his new girl's influence but I see its universal.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Tipping as a percentage is wrong. The waiter did not provide any better service bringing a $10 burger than they did by bringing out a $50 steak. It took the same amount of effort. It is not my responsibility to make up for your employer not paying a decent wage for your labor.

Do not go out to eat then. Servers will remember you and give you poor service. I hope your food gets spit and coughed in.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Tipping as a percentage is wrong. The waiter did not provide any better service bringing a $10 burger than they did by bringing out a $50 steak. It took the same amount of effort. It is not my responsibility to make up for your employer not paying a decent wage for your labor.
You can flat-scale it if you want. I do that at some places I go to regularly. $5 per person for good, $10 per person for great. And then just not bother with percentages and what food costs.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 PM

267 posts, read 175,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sounds like a personality issue. I'm not hearing discrimination.

Although the general reputation in the restaurant industry is that blacks are horrible customers and servers of all races try to minimize their exposure to black patrons. When I waited tables during undergrad, servers used to call Black patrons "Canadians" and pay hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. Ironically this was done mostly black servers who did this as the white servers still operated under the illusion that all customers were equal.

I find it hard to believe a restaurant manager in this day and age would be so bold as to assign a server a black section but I guess it's possible if the other servers are finding ways not to serve them.

Yes, it seems a lot of black servers have attitude to me. Sometimes, I can't understand what they are saying. (Ebonics) Time to stop with the 'discrimination' flak, and time to upgrade the general attitude. If things don't go 'their' way the race card is waved. So, what is wrong with her serving black patrons? I am sure those patrons, appreciate that, unless SHE didn't like the behavior herself?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Do not go out to eat then. Servers will remember you and give you poor service. I hope your food gets spit and coughed in.
Why would you hope that? When you say stuff like this, it makes it really hard to give credit to anything else you say.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Why would you post like this? I would NEVER do something like this, when I was a waitress. Quality people don't think like this, or do this! Must be your kind of people.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM

417 posts, read 365,829 times
Because that poster is basically admitting they are trash. Usually I associate ****ty tippers as trash in their outside lives too. Trash deserve to get treated like trash, which includes having the cook cough in their food.

Bet he doesn't know a portion of his bill is taken away from servers in what we call "tip-out" where we have to tip the hostesses, bus boys, bartender etc. So if their bill is $100 bucks but he doesn't feel he should tip based on percentage, and instead gives us 3 bucks, that means we don't make a single dime off his table because tip-out in most restaurants is 3 bucks.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Because that poster is basically admitting they are trash. Usually I associate ****ty tippers as trash in their outside lives too. Trash deserve to get treated like trash, which includes having the cook cough in their food.

Bet he doesn't know a portion of his bill is taken away from servers in what we call "tip-out" where we have to tip the hostesses, bus boys, bartender etc. So if their bill is $100 bucks but he doesn't feel he should tip based on percentage, and instead gives us 3 bucks, that means we don't make a single dime off his table because tip-out in most restaurants is 3 bucks.
Look if you don't like your job, pitfalls and all, then quit and do something else. But to sabotage someone's food over a tip? Are you kidding me? And yes you do "make a single dime". You're still paid an hourly wage.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Wow, what a wonderful human being you are wishing that someone be assaulted because they want to tip on the quality of the service and not necessarily on the cost of the food.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:

ERRRRRRRRRRrrrrr, I think that is what we are thinking about you.
Please , Please, find another job, one where you don't have to deal with food. Disgusting. Talk about feeling ENTITLED. You are not guaranteed anything in this life. Learn that lesson. You have a very destructive attitude. So happy, I don't live in your town, and that I cook at home almost 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies