Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
1920's they would lynch you and have a party, 1950's they bomb your church or spray you down with a high pressure hose. If we take out race and pretend we are an observer I think the 20's would be an interesting time. Being mixed race I would want to avoid those periods in America though. I'm fine in the now.
Both would be pretty bad if you were black, but in the North or West the '50s would be a little better than the '20s. Mainly because one would merely face considerable discrimination but at least the risk of being killed or severely injured merely for one's skin color would be considerably less than in the '20s. In the South there was no difference between either of those decades, however.

For whites, especially non-WASP whites, the '50s would be much more preferable to the '20s. For the average white person the '50s were better than the '20s. For the "one percent", however, the '20s were better than the '50s. Lower taxes, weaker unions, weaker labor regulations, much more decadence, more opulent cars, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

For whites, especially non-WASP whites, the '50s would be much more preferable to the '20s.
That's actually a very good point. In that era Italians and Irish were treated like Mexicans and Muslims are today, no joke.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Both would be pretty bad if you were black, but in the North or West the '50s would be a little better than the '20s. Mainly because one would merely face considerable discrimination but at least the risk of being killed or severely injured merely for one's skin color would be considerably less than in the '20s. In the South there was no difference between either of those decades, however.

For whites, especially non-WASP whites, the '50s would be much more preferable to the '20s. For the average white person the '50s were better than the '20s. For the "one percent", however, the '20s were better than the '50s. Lower taxes, weaker unions, weaker labor regulations, much more decadence, more opulent cars, etc.
Right. I think now is fine. People always look back and say how great it was back then. If you were in the 50's though you would be saying the same thing, man I wish life was more like it was in the 30's or 20's.

The truth of the matter is nobody is trading todays conveniences for the 1950's. People can pretend they would, but they wouldn't if they actually ended up being able somehow to make that choice.

It would be interesting to observe, but would I actually live in one of those eras over today No way.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
I would have loved to be living in Harlem, New York in the 20's, singing Jazz in one of those big bands, or living in Paris, France in the 20's performing in a revue or something like Josephine Baker.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
That's actually a very good point. In that era Italians and Irish were treated like Mexicans and Muslims are today, no joke.
Actually the Irish showed in mass first and gave the Italians hell but both got over it and became the most intermarried races in our history.some people adapt and get along others carry a chip on their shoulder forever as an excuse for anything and everything.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Right. I think now is fine. People always look back and say how great it was back then. If you were in the 50's though you would be saying the same thing, man I wish life was more like it was in the 30's or 20's.

The truth of the matter is nobody is trading todays conveniences for the 1950's. People can pretend they would, but they wouldn't if they actually ended up being able somehow to make that choice.

It would be interesting to observe, but would I actually live in one of those eras over today No way.
Interesting that people are yearning for the good old days while they type on the internet. The joys of modern technology

Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You insult the guy and then you play innocent. gotta love that technique, bait someone into a fight and act like an angel afterwards. Firestarting is what some call it, or trolling. What's even more amazing is that you accuse others of having a chip on their shoulder, yet you make posts like this. I love internet tough guys, grrrrrrrrr
I'm an "internet tough guy?" I'm trolling? Do you even know what those things mean?

I am amused that you not only went looking for something to use against me, but that you had to go back more than a year to find something - and not only that, but what you tried to claim was me having a chip on my shoulder was a post I wrote about being frustrated with door-to-door solicitors - not exactly the same thing! Hahahahahaha....

You guys are hysterical. By all means, quit your day job and take up comedy full time.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Interesting that people are yearning for the good old days while they type on the internet. The joys of modern technology
We had party lines and the telegraph smarty.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
The tax rate for the 1% was 85%. Sounds like a conservative nightmare if you ask me.
With about a million loopholes - nobody actually paid that rate. Most of the loopholes have since been closed, which is why people are complaining about rates in the mid 30% range today.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm an "internet tough guy?" I'm trolling? Do you even know what those things mean?

I am amused that you not only went looking for something to use against me, but that you had to go back more than a year to find something -
It was easy, it's on the first page of your thread posting history, was not difficult to find, the title screams chip on shoulder. You've since insulted other members after you insulted detroit. Doesn't take long to find an argumentative post by you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies