Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You don't need to be Christian to have the "spirit."
But you do to have the "right" spirit. What are you, a heathen or something?

FWIW, I have a small tree with changing colored lights that I leave up all year and a display of snowmen that I display from when it starts to snow until it stops. Usually December through March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
You are a Sikh family, "observing" a "Christian holiday" with "Christian" customs, so, why wouldn't you? Do you do it as not to feel left out?
It is more cultural than religious. And they are Pagan customs.

And we do it because it is part of the US culture. Kinda like how non Hindus celebrate Diwali in India. Not everyone in India is a Hindu but it is a MAJOR holiday there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm Christian and I've never once tried to convert anyone. Do I talk about Christ if the subject is broached? Absolutely. But talking about Christ does not equal an attempt to convert.
Did I say you in specific? Nope.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sure I do. Trees, stockings, presents, lights, nutcrackers...you don't have to be religious to have fun with that stuff.
Nope.....just a hypocrite. Hanukkah looks like fun too, but I'm not Jewish so I don't observe the holiday.

Hanukkah has decorating and gift-giving too. I'm betting most atheists don't observe this religious holiday.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No.....Christmas is not "all about celebrating the birth of Christ".

Christmas is about what YOU choose to believe it is about.

Just because someone puts up a tree, decorates the house, and exchanges gifts does NOT make them a Christian.....how absurd.

And.......as others have pointed out, Christmas was originally a Pagan holiday......Christians just wanted to get in on all the fun. LOL

Now, if you want to get into "picking and choosing", isn't that what Christians do with the bible? Pick and choose what parts they want to believe in and follow?
Sorry, but no. Christmas is a religious US holiday that celebrates the birth of Christ. To deny this is a bit weird. That's why so many atheist groups are up in arms and want to ban all things "Merry Christmas".

Didn't say decorating, etc made you a Christian....you're just celebrating a Christian holiday.

Don't want to get into cherry-picking the bible. If you want to go that route, perhaps start another thread on it?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Quote:
It is very interesting to me to see the things that non-believers pick and choose. I guess if the holiday is fun, you'll overlook that whole "Christ" thing. Was having a conversation with someone earlier and I wondered how wide spread this is...I guess for the most part, Christmas is the one time that atheists don't mind being Christians.
See, this thread quickly turned into the exact opposite of what the Christmas season is about. All you people do is attack each other and negatively generalize beyond reasonable scale. I guess some people are only Christian when it suits them but are unable to live up to the standards set forth by their religion at most other times.

You know, being atheist means that you don't believe in a god. It does not mean that you are anti-Christian. Even though I cannot possibly believe what you believe, that does not mean that I have no appreciation for the sentiment expressed. Saying that these terms are interchangeable is as moronic as attacking someone for their religious beliefs. This shameful behavior doesn't only make you a bad Christian, it makes you a bad human being.

You'll also find plenty of non-Christians celebrating Easter.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
I disagree that Christmas is now commercialized.
Then there is no hope for you.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Sorry, but no. Christmas is a religious US holiday that celebrates the birth of Christ. To deny this is a bit weird. That's why so many atheist groups are up in arms and want to ban all things "Merry Christmas".

Didn't say decorating, etc made you a Christian....you're just celebrating a Christian holiday.

Don't want to get into cherry-picking the bible. If you want to go that route, perhaps start another thread on it?
Lol. No. You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
See, this thread quickly turned into the exact opposite of what the Christmas season is about. All you people do is attack each other and negatively generalize beyond reasonable scale. I guess some people are only Christian when it suits them but are unable to live up to the standards set forth by their religion at most other times.

You know, being atheist means that you don't believe in a god. It does not mean that you are anti-Christian. Even though I cannot possibly believe what you believe, that does not mean that I have no appreciation for the sentiment expressed. Saying that these terms are interchangeable is as moronic as attacking someone for their religious beliefs. This shameful behavior doesn't only make you a bad Christian, it makes you a bad human being.

You got it. Just like my example above of CHRISTIANS in INDIA who celebrate Diwali. Make them Hindus? Nope.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Quote:

Hanukkah has decorating and gift-giving too. I'm betting most atheists don't observe this religious holiday.
...unless they live in a predominantly Jewish nation. Which the US is not...

I suppose that you don't realize that with your anger and obvious disdain for others, you are one of the very people who give Christianity a bad name in certain circles.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
What does chopping down a tree, dragging it into your living room, and covering it in shiny things have to do with Christ? That's as ridiculous as saying going from house to house in costume, begging for candy on October 31st is devil worship.

I guess everyone is a satanist on Halloween

Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post

No attacks are being made; just observations.

To spin your statement: I guess some people are atheists when it suits them.

Not sure what you mean by anti-Christian, but most atheists that I know and converse with are extremely antagonistic when it comes to all things Christian. This is why it surprised me that so many celebrate a Christian holiday.

If you're saying that you are an atheist, but you observe Christmas because you understand, appreciate and enjoy the sentiment behind the holiday, then I can understand this. Up until your post, that has not been the sentiment expressed.

Non-Christians celebrating Easter? Wow....my mind is completely blown now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies