Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What?

We INTERFERED in a civil war in Libya. WE took over from the rebels and won the fight FOR THEM.

Can't believe you don't KNOW this.
Who exactly doesn't know this?
And truthfully, the French and British did most of the heavy lifting. They saw that Libya was going to get mired down in a brutal civil war and that Gaddafi would eventually be forced out. By supporting the rebels through air strikes and not putting in an occupying force NATO was able to stabilize the country and hopefully gain a friend in the region. Also, Libya has a history and culture different from that of Egypt. It is more likely that their new democratic government will be more moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
What?

We INTERFERED in a civil war in Libya. WE took over from the rebels and won the fight FOR THEM.

Can't believe you don't KNOW this.
We put no boots on the ground, so your statement makes ZERO sense, as usual.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
THIS cannot be repeated enough. The extreme- extremists in Saudi Arabia would love nothing more than to see a region-wide holy war. And they would be too happy to get it started.
There are extremists in every country, in Israel there is also a growing radical Jewish movement.
But who says the majority of people would vote them into power if they could decide on their own government? Saudis would probably elect some Muslim party, sure, but not the radicals. Especially, if women were allowed to vote, too.

I read somewhere that the Arab Spring helped in breaking up the sex barrier as protesters of both sexes fought side by side. That would be a positive development...

Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sooooo.....

What were we supposed to do? Go in and shoot the Egyptian rioters in the streets to preserve Mubarak's presidency?

You should mind your business, and let the Egyptians worry about their own country.
Funny, I don't recall you giving obama that advice. Too bad you didn't because NOW, because of his actions, we have radical islamists running a country that used to be a critical and dependable US ally. No more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
We put no boots on the ground, so your statement makes ZERO sense, as usual.
Right, right. All those NATO planes, bombs, missile strikes, billions of dollars weren't interfering.

Yeah, all that made absolutely NO difference.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Has Tel Aviv, America's guiding light and foremost authority on America's Middle East foreign policy, declared this to be a blunder?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Funny, I don't recall you giving obama that advice. Too bad you didn't because NOW, because of his actions, we have radical islamists running a country that used to be a critical and dependable US ally. No more though.

Right, right. All those NATO planes, bombs, missile strikes, billions of dollars weren't interfering.

Yeah, all that made absolutely NO difference.
The vast majority of those bombs were not dropped by us and if the monster had not started attacking civilians they would have never dropped at all. As I said before and you admitted, you would back any monster over the People of a Nation determining their own future, thankfully the French did not think that way in the 1700s, otherwise our founding fathers would have all been hung. A I said I am not now, nor will I ever be, part of YOUR WE

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
The main problem for the West is, do we really support the voice of the people in line with what we keep preaching, or do we only support it as long as we like the result...

Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Now only if Americans would learn to keep their "governance" at home.
So says the cheerleader of the Libyan intervention.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Has Tel Aviv, America's guiding light and foremost authority on America's Middle East foreign policy, declared this to be a blunder?
Absolutely.....but why would it matter?

Israel says I told you so as islamists romp in Egyptian elections - Global Spin - TIME.com

Quote:
“This is even worse than we predicted," a senior Israeli security official was quoted telling the daily Yedioth Ahronoth.

"In February, when millions of Egyptians thronged to the streets in Cairo, commentators and quite a few Israeli members of the opposition said that we're facing a new era of liberalism and progress," Netanyahu told the Knesset last month, before polls even opened in Egypt. "They said I was trying to scare the public and was on the wrong side of history and don't see where things are heading."
Turns out Bebe was RIGHT.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
So says the cheerleader of the Libyan intervention.
I also thank the French for helping American Revolutionaries against the Brits. Thought I should point that out since you missed that cheer leading of mine. Hate it, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies