Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,506,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
It would be fair to say that the group you mention faded ?

Would it fair to say this would be a good list :

The original tea party by the colonist.
The Minn. group.
Ron Paul's tea party in 07.
The present day tea party that does not hold some of Paul's views.
The original TEA Party had only one issue - taxes. They always protested on April 15th of the year Congress massively increases taxes. That happened in 1977, and again in 1993. There has been no massive tax increase since 1993, but they still held their protest on April 15, 2009 because of the congressional bailouts.

All the other protests using the TEA Party name since 2008 were grand-standers, trying to subvert the original TEA Party agenda, including Ron Paul.

I do not normally agree with Rush, but in this case he is absolutely correct. Ron Paul had absolutely nothing to do with the original TEA Party or its agenda. Ron Paul, like all the other politicians (including Sarah Palin), attempted to bastardize the TEA Party agenda for their own purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Ron Paul was the symbolic leader of the original grassroots version of the Tea Party.
Incorrect. Ron Paul had not even run for public office before the first TEA Party national protest in 1977. Ron Paul is a leech, just like Sarah Palin and other politicians, attempting to claim credit for the TEA Party agenda that they subverted and do not deserve.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Ron Paul is a drug advocating isolationist who wants nearly no government.

Not a Tea Party type IMO.
Correct. The TEA Party has absolutely nothing in common with Ron Paul. There is only one agenda the TEA Party has pushed since their inception in 1974 - "Taxed Enough Already." Everything else is contrived by some politician attempting to take credit for something they had nothing to do with.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,923,522 times
For once, I actually agree with Limbaugh!

Yes, Ron Paul has nothing to do with the Tea Party. But IMO, that's a GOOD THING. The Tea Party of today is but a shell of what it once was. It's foundations were on limited government and lower taxes, which ironically lies in the principals of Classic Liberalism.

Today's Tea Party has been hijacked by Fox News and is filled with a bunch of NeoCons mixed with Dixiecrats who are pissed off because some black dude is in the White House. Ron Paul doesn't need to be associated with the faux Tea Party of today. In fact, that's why I'm supporting him. Let Bachmann and Perry have fun with those hateful bigots.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,018,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Do you agree?

http://http://www.mediaite.com/online/rush-limbaugh-ron-paul-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-tea-party/ (broken link)
Rush Limbaugh has nothing to do with conservatism. He's a shill for mainstream Republicans that long ago abandoned their conservative stance to pursue the personal gains of their elected representatives (Democrats are equally guilty of this).

His professed opinions are self serving and worth little more than the hot air he uses to offer them.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

Yes, Ron Paul has nothing to do with the Tea Party. But IMO, that's a GOOD THING. The Tea Party of today is but a shell of what it once was. It's foundations were on limited government and lower taxes, which ironically lies in the principals of Classic Liberalism.
Correct. It is also the founding principles behind the Libertarian Party. It was actually a group of Libertarian Party members in Minnesota that started the original TEA Party in 1974. Two years after the Libertarian Party was founded, and four years before Ron Paul ran for public office.

Quote:
Today's Tea Party has been hijacked by Fox News and is filled with a bunch of NeoCons mixed with Dixiecrats who are pissed off because some black dude is in the White House. Ron Paul doesn't need to be associated with the faux Tea Party of today. In fact, that's why I'm supporting him. Let Bachmann and Perry have fun with those hateful bigots.
It has been highjacked, but not by any news corporation. All sorts of politicians jumped on the TEA Party bandwagon and subverted the TEA Party's "Taxed Enough Already" message to suit their own purposes.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 AM

73,185 posts, read 62,875,880 times
Quote:

I didn't know much about the Tea Party, but as time passed, I saw more hateful people being attracted to it. I saw more people who wanted was the America of the 1950's when Black people were subjugated to all kinds of horrible treatment. I wouldn't support the Tea Party.

At this point, politics has just turned into a circus. Extremism is basically all one sees. Polarization is what one sees. It isn't about what can be done to serve ALL of the people. It is all about serving one's constituency. No one is coming up with anything that will serve all of the people.

What is really scaring me are the growing tide of paleo-conservative people that I am finding in alot of blogs. The stuff I've seen includes a different kind of racism, often cloaked as "racial realism". Examples include publications such as Taki's Magazine, The Occidental Quarterly, VDARE, with such writers as Steve Sailer, Peter Brimelow, Alex Kurtagic, John Derbyshire.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,112,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I didn't know much about the Tea Party, but as time passed, I saw more hateful people being attracted to it. I saw more people who wanted was the America of the 1950's when Black people were subjugated to all kinds of horrible treatment. I wouldn't support the Tea Party.

At this point, politics has just turned into a circus. Extremism is basically all one sees. Polarization is what one sees. It isn't about what can be done to serve ALL of the people. It is all about serving one's constituency. No one is coming up with anything that will serve all of the people.

What is really scaring me are the growing tide of paleo-conservative people that I am finding in alot of blogs. The stuff I've seen includes a different kind of racism, often cloaked as "racial realism". Examples include publications such as Taki's Magazine, The Occidental Quarterly, VDARE, with such writers as Steve Sailer, Peter Brimelow, Alex Kurtagic, John Derbyshire.
Same here...I didn't know much about them,but a buddy was all hyped up on it so I went to a Tea Party thrown locally....Joe the plumber's helper was their big draw.(IF I had known that before hand I wouldn't have went or at least driven myself so I could've left before the "main event"

It seemed like every radical idiot that had ran for local office and lost because he/she was semi retarded and unqualified for the postion they sought was a guest speaker there.

It was one of the most idiotic gatherings I had ever attended of my own free will...I must say though,I was truly let down because I was actually hoping for more from them than the BS they produced.

Oh well,live and learn I guess

Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,592,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Incorrect. Ron Paul had not even run for public office before the first TEA Party national protest in 1977. Ron Paul is a leech, just like Sarah Palin and other politicians, attempting to claim credit for the TEA Party agenda that they subverted and do not deserve.
You are wrong.
Ron Paul stands for everything the original Tea Party demanded, which was less taxation, smaller gov't, more liberty. No one else represents those 3 issues.
The Tea Party mutated when hijacked by social issues, with the likes of Palin and Bachmann.
Don't Tread on Me, was the motto.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,592,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Rush Limbaugh has nothing to do with conservatism. He's a shill for mainstream Republicans that long ago abandoned their conservative stance to pursue the personal gains of their elected representatives (Democrats are equally guilty of this).

His professed opinions are self serving and worth little more than the hot air he uses to offer them.
No need to go that far. I enjoy listening to Rush, he is smart and very entertaining. I can disagree with him, and still like him. I think most of his listerners are smart enough to make up their own minds, hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies