Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Well feel free to go to a country where what you're saying actually applies. The constitution allows the government to pass laws that require you to pay for things. Should you not like that then leave.
Why do you believe that it is right to force someone to fund, comply with, or adhere to your personal beliefs?
Is it megalomania? Do you believe that you have a right to dictate the actions of your fellow human beings to serve your personal desires and preferences?

There is nothing wrong with charity, it is noble. But initiating force against others to provide charity is extortion. Then the "charity" becomes an immoral crime, an act of aggression. The ends DO NOT justify the means.

Live and let live.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:27 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
I have worked in social services off and on for almost 30 years. My job for the last 2 years (and at other times and in other states) has been determining eligibility for food stamps (SNAP) and other such assistance.

If you'd like to hear some actual facts and not just hyperbole and empty rhetoric, feel free to ask away.

I'm not saying there aren't people who abuse these benefits or scam their way into them. That absolutely does happen. But it's not as common as people make it out to be and we actually have several ways to verify information and check on people and what they do with their food stamps.

Here are a few facts to kick things off:

1. The majority of households that receive food stamps include at least one working adult.

2. The allotment for food stamps averages out nationally to be $1.41 per meal per person in the home.

3. Annually, the average American tax-paying family contributes $31 per year to food benefits for the less fortunate, but contributes $835 towards corporate subsidies.

4. By far the largest groups benefiting from having food stamps are: children, the elderly and the disabled.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,849,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I have worked in social services off and on for almost 30 years. My job for the last 2 years (and at other times and in other states) has been determining eligibility for food stamps (SNAP) and other such assistance.

If you'd like to hear some actual facts and not just hyperbole and empty rhetoric, feel free to ask away.

I'm not saying there aren't people who abuse these benefits or scam their way into them. That absolutely does happen. But it's not as common as people make it out to be and we actually have several ways to verify information and check on people and what they do with their food stamps.

Here are a few facts to kick things off:

1. The majority of households that receive food stamps include at least one working adult.

2. The allotment for food stamps averages out nationally to be $1.41 per meal per person in the home.

3. Annually, the average American tax-paying family contributes $31 per year to food benefits for the less fortunate, but contributes $835 towards corporate subsidies.

4. By far the largest groups benefiting from having food stamps are: children, the elderly and the disabled.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Why the eyeroll? Everything Griffis stated is a fact.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Why do you believe that it is right to force someone to fund, comply with, or adhere to your personal beliefs?
Is it megalomania? Do you believe that you have a right to dictate the actions of your fellow human beings to serve your personal desires and preferences?

There is nothing wrong with charity, it is noble. But initiating force against others to provide charity is extortion. Then the "charity" becomes an immoral crime, an act of aggression. The ends DO NOT justify the means.

Live and let live.
Once again, the reason we have laws on society behaviors is because left to individuals, people wouldn't do whats right for society but what is only right for them.

Volunteerism is great, but volunteerism will not fund social service projects. Does letting individuals decide what is ok in society working?

Fine example look at corporate america and when they shipped jobs overseas to other countries. Ever see how they treat some countries employees? Sweatshop anyone?:thi

Old 09-20-2014, 05:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Forced volunteering you say?

I think its nice when anyone of any walk of life gives their time to help others.
Consider it a payback. Why should anyone literally get a free lunch?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:04 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Versus those who may have other obligations like children, work, school or other volunteer responsibilities.

I forget where it says in the Bible to weed out the truly needy from those looking for a free ride.
Work is an excuse, the other aren't. Why do people like you believe people should get a free ride? I never knew food stamps or welfare were in the bible, please tell me what section.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Work is an excuse, the other aren't. Why do people like you believe people should get a free ride? I never knew food stamps or welfare were in the bible, please tell me what section.
In Matthew 25, Jesus describes those who will enter heaven as anyone who gave him food when he was hungry, invited him into their homes when he was a stranger, clothed him, cared for him while he was sick and visited him in prison. "The extent that you did it to one of these brothers of mine, even the least of them, you did it to me," Jesus says.

Yes im also familiar with Thessalonians 3:10, which says "for even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: If anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either."

the majority of those capable of working that collect food stamps ARE working.

Yes a small minority aren't, but why do you judge the majority upon the acts of the minority?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
In Matthew 25, Jesus describes those who will enter heaven as anyone who gave him food when he was hungry, invited him into their homes when he was a stranger, clothed him, cared for him while he was sick and visited him in prison. "The extent that you did it to one of these brothers of mine, even the least of them, you did it to me," Jesus says.

Yes im also familiar with Thessalonians 3:10, which says "for even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: If anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either."

the majority of those capable of working that collect food stamps ARE working.

Yes a small minority aren't, but why do you judge the majority upon the acts of the minority?
Well, Jesus was a dirty, hippie, liberal.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:33 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Quote:
Why the eyeroll? Everything Griffis stated is a fact.
Truth doesn't jibe with some peoples' worldview.

When they have no grounding in reality or anything of substance to say, they have to resort to cute li'l emoticons and such.

Whereas, if they just refrained from posting a response altogether they would look less weak and foolish.

I've been doing this exact kind of work for 28 years. I've worked for a number of non-profit organizations and state and federal agencies in a number of states.

I have even written articles and been a member of teams who collect and analyze statistical data on this very subject.

Happy to debate. I have actual facts to rely on.

Seemingly, a lot of people would prefer to go on BS fed to them by talking heads and partisan party hacks.

It makes some people feel better about themselves to demonize or tear other groups or individuals down. This is particularly easy to do when you are using a group that is already marginalized and viewed as less worthy, or innately ignorant, or lazy, etc., etc.

Frequently the very same people who not only have no problem with a far greater percentage of our tax dollars going to subsidize or assist in tax loopholes for folks who are already multi-millionaires or billionaires, but actually rally to make heroes of these people, instead see the "enemy" as the working poor and will whine and gripe and ***** and moan endlessly about paying what is the equivalent of about $2.00 per month to help people feed their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies