Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Gingrich is quoted as follows:

"Remember there was no Palestine as a state. It was part of the Ottoman Empire."

That is true and largely irrelevant. Almost everything there was part of the Ottoman Empire.

"And I think that we've had an invented Palestinian people, who are in fact Arabs, and were historically part of the Arab community,"

True again. Palestinians are the Arabs indigenous to West Bank, Gaza, and yes, what is now Israel proper. Now, what differs them from other Arabs in Jordan, I have never understood.

"And they had a chance to go many places."

This is a bit insensitive and unrealistic.

And for a variety of political reasons we have sustained this war against Israel now since the 1940's, and I think it's tragic."

Open for interpretation.
It is a BS comment. Did we also invent the Syrian people, Iraqi people, Saudi Arabian people, Jordanian people? After all they are all part of the Arab community. Did we invent the European, Australian and American people as they are a part of the Caucasian community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a BS comment. Did we also invent the Syrian people, Iraqi people, Saudi Arabian people, Jordanian people? After all they are all part of the Arab community. Did we invent the European, Australian and American people as they are a part of the Caucasian community?
To some extent, Yes. Well, not us.

Read up on how the British and the French created- and that is exactly what they did- places like Syria, Jordan, Iraq, etc.

To paraphrase the immortal PJ O'Rourke, "they carved up the former Ottoman Empire with all the delicacy of monkeys at a salad bar."

Don't get me wrong. I support the Two-State Solutions. If only the Israelis and Palestinians did as well.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
To some extent, Yes. Well, not us.

Read up on how the British and the French created- and that is exactly what they did- places like Syria, Jordan, Iraq, etc.
I don't have to read up to know that Jordanian people are Jordanians, Syrian people are Syrians, and Iraqi people are Iraqis, and American people are Americans. Are you kidding me? Gingrish's comment was as dumb and pointless as you can get.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
Leftist sympathy for a group of religious fanatic nationalists never ceases to amaze me. The Palestinians have repeatedly elected lunatics who would be right at home in the KKK or Hitler's Germany. Were they running in the US they would receive just as much contempt as David Duke. But they're Muslims so hey let's give them a pass on their sexism, anti-Semitism and nationalism.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Leftist sympathy for a group of religious fanatic nationalists never ceases to amaze me. The Palestinians have repeatedly elected lunatics who would be right at home in the KKK or Hitler's Germany. Were they running in the US they would receive just as much contempt as David Duke. But they're Muslims so hey let's give them a pass on their sexism, anti-Semitism and nationalism.

Such leftists have been known to sympathize with anybody being oppressed. It used to be Jews at one point in time (who were themselves generalized as leftists in Hitler's Germany, BTW). Funny how today a Jew who speaks my language is also quickly dealt with "anti-semite" card by who else?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't have to read up to know that Jordanian people are Jordanians, Syrian people are Syrians, and Iraqi people are Iraqis, and American people are Americans. Are you kidding me? Gingrish's comment was as dumb and pointless as you can get.
That is a pretty naive comment.

Iraqis are both Arab and Kurdish. Kurds are not Arabs last time I looked. The British simply drew the lines.

Likewise, Jordan is a British creation. Jordan is something like 60% Palestinian although how they differ from the other 40% is something nobody seems able to answer.

Syria is a French creation. The Arabs of these 3 countries are ethnically the same. There are only tribal and religous differences.

These countries are Imperial creations. They did not come about organically. Saudi Arabia is one that did.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
That is a pretty naive comment.

Iraqis are both Arab and Kurdish. Kurds are not Arabs last time I looked. The British simply drew the lines.

Likewise, Jordan is a British creation. Jordan is something like 60% Palestinian although how they differ from the other 40% is something nobody seems able to answer.

Syria is a French creation. The Arabs of these 3 countries are ethnically the same. There are only tribal and religous differences.

These countries are Imperial creations. They did not come about organically. Saudi Arabia is one that did.
What makes for "Palestinian"?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
23 or 24 Centuries of history.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Palestinians are the indigenous Arabs of what was the British League of Nations Mandate and is now Israel, Jordan, and the Gaza Strip.

I think most would agree with that.

I have always been curious what differs a Palestinian in Jordan from the other Arabs of Jordan. Ultimately, it does not matter in the I/P dispute, but I am none the less curious.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
23 or 24 Centuries of history.
I agree.

Quote:
Palestinians are the indigenous Arabs of what was the British League of Nations Mandate and is now Israel, Jordan, and the Gaza Strip.

I think most would agree with that.

I have always been curious what differs a Palestinian in Jordan from the other Arabs of Jordan. Ultimately, it does not matter in the I/P dispute, but I am none the less curious.
Palestinians are Arabs indigenous to a territory of "Palestine" that dates back to Biblical times. That is what separates them from other Arabs. It is also where Palestine, IL (incorporated as a village in 1811, but the name for the region in eastern Illinois apparently dates back to 1678) and Palestine, TX (incorporated 1846) get their names from... the land of milk and honey, not necessarily anything to do with the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies