Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
White liberal writes what he would do if he was black and poor and the usual suspects pounce.

If I Were A Poor Black Kid - Forbes

The problem is that if you WERE a "poor black kid", you would only see what is directly in front of you and exist in the environment and culture that is presented to you. You cannot look at your own situtation as a bystander and you don't know there is something better elsewhere.

When this country was founded and growing, the peasants in Europe did not know there was a better life available in America until SOMEONE TOLD THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
White liberal writes what he would do if he was black and poor and the usual suspects pounce.

If I Were A Poor Black Kid - Forbes
LoL!!!! Gene Marks is a real-world example of what elitist, entitled, middle-class savior complex, white privilege, liberal racism, and moonfaced moonbattery look like-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If I Were a Middle Class White Guy Writing About Being a Poor Black Kid
A response to Gene Marks's "If I Were A Poor Black Kid" in Forbes

Last edited by renault; 12-15-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I'm very successful and have never had to pretend that I was white. I make it clear that when engaging in business with me, you are dealing with someone that is professional, proficient, and knowledgeable.

I have no chip on my shoulder, but there is give and take in interpersonal relations and I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not.

I'm unsure whether to laugh or not.
So a racist, not knowing if you are a good worker, are smart, and will contribute to their success, just viewing the color of your skin; is going to give a black person a job.

O.K. sure...how is that black worker going to be treated on a daily basis, oh right..that's irrelevant.
I really, really, REALLY hate to say this because it is going to evoke a negative reaction from you and probably everybody else...but I will say it anyway.

Fitting into white culture does not mean that you have to pretend you are white. I don't think that *anyone* expects a black person to pretend they are white. What I mean by "fitting into white culture" means, well, (oh God, I'm actually going to say this....) knowing their place. (arghhhhh). This is a term I detest. But to succeed in a world that is white, black people have to accept it. Again, I am not saying it's right, or defending it in any way. But it is the way things work.

As far as how I would be treated on a daily basis, I wouldn't care if it gave me the opportunity to better myself. I can put up with a lot of crap when it comes to attaining my goals.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I really, really, REALLY hate to say this because it is going to evoke a negative reaction from you and probably everybody else...but I will say it anyway.

Fitting into white culture does not mean that you have to pretend you are white. I don't think that *anyone* expects a black person to pretend they are white. What I mean by "fitting into white culture" means, well, (oh God, I'm actually going to say this....) knowing their place. (arghhhhh). This is a term I detest. But to succeed in a world that is white, black people have to accept it. Again, I am not saying it's right, or defending it in any way. But it is the way things work.

As far as how I would be treated on a daily basis, I wouldn't care if it gave me the opportunity to better myself. I can put up with a lot of crap when it comes to attaining my goals.

20yrsinBranson
In your mind what exactly is "their place?"

Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Usually it is Christians who come up with the old myth that a child needs to have a father and a mother, else he or she will turn out a criminal or whatever
It's not a myth. Not saying a child of a single mother will end up a criminal (I had a single mother), but a higher proportion of criminals of all backgrounds came up without a father.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
The same thing happens at black schools. I saw the same level of viciousness directed at students who were deemed as other.
I am sure that is true to some extent.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Why hate saying something if you believe that how things are supposed to be???...of course you are delusional in that thought process, but it's still a free country to have crazy thoughts in.

I do know my place, it's as an upright, proud capable man that doesn't try to physically or psychologically wash his blackness away.

I'm not apologetic to anyone, if you mistake my self assurance as arrogance, you are the only one who will be ticked off.

My place is where I make it, in front of you or behind you, that's dictated by me and not the color of your or my skin.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's not a myth. Not saying a child of a single mother will end up a criminal (I had a single mother), but a higher proportion of criminals of all backgrounds came up without a father.
No doubt, we need black fathers. There is no compelling argument that disproves this.

One sorry aspect of some black males today, is that women have raised them all their lives.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Actually, 20yrsinBranson, you should start a thread on the matter.
Yes there will be some less than glowing views, but I think it's important that people like you speak out.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I bet you did, Edward. Just because you were picked on for your superior attitude is no reason to hate blacks for life. Racism is ugly, particularly when one hates one's own kind. For what it's worth, if you were a white American with German parents going to a white high school, you would have been picked on just as much. It's your superior atttitude that invites scorn, Ed.
1. You're not my people.
2. I don't hate the descendents of American slaves.
3. I do hate what passes for their culture. It's regressive and inhibits progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies