Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times

Advertisements

Christmas is a holiday that commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ and is celebrated by Christians throughout the world.

If you are a non-believer, do you celebrate Christmas? Meaning, do you put up Christmas decorations, a Christmas tree, do you buy Christmas gifts, etc?

Why/why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
I celebrate for the season. It is that time of year. Not because of Christ.

Christ is not mentioned even once in my household as we open up presents or decorate a tree or anything else.

Christians do NOT have a monopoly on a holiday they stole by brutally murdering the Pagans.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Christ is not mentioned even once in my household as we open up presents or decorate a tree or anything else.

Christians do NOT have a monopoly on a holiday they stole by brutally murdering the Pagans.
This seemed like a reasonable post to me until this-

"Christians do NOT have a monopoly on a holiday they stole by brutally murdering the Pagans"

Do you know anything of history? Everyone murdered everyone back then for any reason. Look at someone wrong and they killed you. It was a brutal time. Why is it that the most idiotic people feel the need to rewrite history?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Yes, we do. I am sure you wonder why we would participate in a Christian celebration even if we do not believe in a deity.

We simply like the sentiment and the traditional aspects of it since we grew up in Christian countries and thus, are familiar with them.

While some will certainly point out that many Christmas traditions are actually pagan in origin, such considerations play little part in our participation of this celebration. We just like it - people seem a lot more open and friendly around Christmas time. That alone, is reason enough for us.

We even listen to Christmas songs - because we like the harmonic melodies and the images they conjure up.

Obviously, our celebration does not encompass praising god or Jesus, though.

Now, our neighbors are non-practicing Jews - you want to know what they do? Exactly the same - for the very same reasons... I am sure they have a menorah tucked away somewhere, too.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This seemed like a reasonable post to me until this-

"Christians do NOT have a monopoly on a holiday they stole by brutally murdering the Pagans"

Do you know anything of history? Everyone murdered everyone back then for any reason. Look at someone wrong and they killed you. It was a brutal time. Why is it that the most idiotic people feel the need to rewrite history?
Yeah, we do know history; that's how we can say this.
Glad to see that you agree with the statement that c's need to quit rewriting history.
You can't deny that they did murder for the holiday, so you try to minimize it.
That's so cute.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,017,386 times
Quote:

Hitting the egg nog early?
What would happen if someone did mention Christ, as they opened presents in your house? I ask as I'm not a Church going person myself, just curious.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Hitting the egg nog early?
What would happen if someone did mention Christ, as they opened presents in your house? I ask as I'm not a Church going person myself, just curious.
No one would mention Christ because my family (with the exception of me) are Sikhs.

No need to mention Christ. Why would we?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:

Your reaction is a bit extreme. Whether "stolen" or not, Christmas is ALL about celebrating the birth of Christ. Whether your celebration includes church service or not, you are still celebrating Christ's birth.

It is very interesting to me to see the things that non-believers pick and choose. I guess if the holiday is fun, you'll overlook that whole "Christ" thing. Was having a conversation with someone earlier and I wondered how wide spread this is...I guess for the most part, Christmas is the one time that atheists don't mind being Christians.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, we do know history; that's how we can say this.
Glad to see that you agree with the statement that c's need to quit rewriting history.
You can't deny that they did murder for the holiday, so you try to minimize it.
That's so cute.
But people who worshipped coconuts probably killed for that too. People who had the wrong accent for the area they were in were murdered for that.

People accidentally wandered onto the wrong farm were killed for that.

People who didn't pronounce the kings name properly were killed for that.

So what's your point?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Your reaction is a bit extreme. Whether "stolen" or not (which is a stretch), Christmas is ALL about celebrating the birth of Christ. Whether your celebration includes church service or not, you are still celebrating Christ's birth.

It is very interesting to me to see the things that non-believers pick and choose. I guess if the holiday is fun, you'll overlook that whole "Christ" thing. Was having a conversation with someone earlier and I wondered how wide spread this is...I guess for the most part, Christmas is the one time that atheists don't mind being Christians.
Ah, no. You are wrong. Again.

What was "Christmas" about before Christians stole it from the Pagans?

Educate yourself and then get back to me instead of being blinded by religion.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies