Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So the swooners in their defense of Obama yawn and tell us to call Obama. Yep that about makes sense for these folks.
It's the Slippery Slope.

The US has been terrorizing people in other countries for decades. Lots of Iranians are missing family members who were imprisoned, tortured and murdered by the US for "dissenting."

It was just 21 years ago that I was tromping through the Honduran jungle village to village terrorizing Hondurans to vote for the US puppet instead of the "freedom and democracy" candidate.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before the US starts terrorizing its own citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Oi! Some just don't get it. So let's go slow, even w/ this piece of jibbering journalism, buried right in the middle is this:
Quote:
But on Wednesday the White House said Obama had lifted the threat of a veto after changes to the law giving the president greater discretion to prevent individuals from being handed to the military.
Gosh, isn't that comforting. I feel so much better, thanks.

Great. Obama, the greatest Belgian Waffler in the history of the US presidency now has "discretion."

Well, let's just hope the Boy-King's intellectual's powers of discretion are superior to George the Bush.

Quote:
Therefore no Guantanamo for U.S. citizens.
Good, because I get sea-sick. My preference would be one of my tax-payer funded Haliburton/KBR resorts.

Quote:
Because the U.S. news has already covered how changes in the legislation....
Why don't you go read TNHilltopper's post and watch the video where Hillary sits there in front of a congressional committee and explains how the government tells the US media exactly what to say and when to say it, and then she argues that the government needs even more power to do that (ostensibly to do it legally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
HELLO KUchief25! What part of this can you not understand?. President Obama required them to fix the lanuage. No Americans to be taken away to GITMO!
That's not true. The language that was inserted into the bill made the law worse.

Anybody wanting to learn what this bill does should read this.

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/15/obam...law/singleton/

Obama’s objections to this bill had nothing to do with civil liberties, due process or the Constitution. It had everything to do with Executive power. The White House’s complaint was that Congress had no business tying the hands of the President when deciding who should go into military detention, who should be denied a trial, which agencies should interrogate suspects (the FBI or the CIA). Such decisions, insisted the White House, are for the President, not Congress, to make. In other words, his veto threat was not grounded in the premise that indefinite military detention is wrong; it was grounded in the premise that it should be the President who decides who goes into military detention and why, not Congress.

Even the one substantive objection the White House expressed to the bill — mandatory military detention for accused American Terrorists captured on U.S. soil — was about Executive power, not due process or core liberties. The proof of that — the definitive, conclusive proof — is that Sen. Carl Levin has several times disclosed that it was the White House which demanded removal of a provision in his original draft that would have exempted U.S. citizens from military detention (see the clip of Levin explaining this in the video below). In other words, this was an example of the White House demanding greater detention powers in the bill by insisting on the removal of one of its few constraints (the prohibition on military detention for Americans captured on U.S. soil). That’s because the White House’s North Star on this bill — as they repeatedly made clear — was Presidential discretion: they were going to veto the bill if it contained any limits on the President’s detention powers, regardless of whether those limits forced him to put people in military prison or barred him from doing so.

Last edited by padcrasher; 12-15-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Show that to me Mr Lemon! lol
First show us the changes that were made. So far there is no link to that info in this entire thread. All I can find on the net is that Obama WANTS this!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
According to Carl Levin (Armed Services Committee Chair) the great orator specifically requested that the language that would have exempted US citizens from this be removed. It doesn't get much simpler than that. Unless of course your a swooner.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's the Slippery Slope.

The US has been terrorizing people in other countries for decades. Lots of Iranians are missing family members who were imprisoned, tortured and murdered by the US for "dissenting."

It was just 21 years ago that I was tromping through the Honduran jungle village to village terrorizing Hondurans to vote for the US puppet instead of the "freedom and democracy" candidate.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before the US starts terrorizing its own citizens.

Gosh, isn't that comforting. I feel so much better, thanks.

Great. Obama, the greatest Belgian Waffler in the history of the US presidency now has "discretion."

Well, let's just hope the Boy-King's intellectual's powers of discretion are superior to George the Bush.

Good, because I get sea-sick. My preference would be one of my tax-payer funded Haliburton/KBR resorts.

Why don't you go read TNHilltopper's post and watch the video where Hillary sits there in front of a congressional committee and explains how the government tells the US media exactly what to say and when to say it, and then she argues that the government needs even more power to do that (ostensibly to do it legally).
Yes back in the day the great Harry Reid was squealing to applause as he cried out that they defeated the Patriot Act. Now it's just passed ho hum along with no fanfare or dissent from anyone. Now we have this mess where Joseph Padilla will become commonplace and a direct violation of the Constitution. Where is the ACLU on this one? I havn't heard a peep. This needs to be challenged to the supremes and we can see where they stand too.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Obama proponents are nowhere to be found today.....

Maybe tomorrow Sears will hire 1,000 HS Juniors....then we can say all is well

Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Now he see's no problem with it. Well he never really did but had to lie for a while to make it look good. Where are the squeals from the mountain tops like when Bush tossed terrorists captured on the battlefield into gitmo?? Now US citizens can be tossed down there too and not a squeak from the same left handed kooks. Funny what having a D next to your name allows one to get away with.

Military given go-ahead to detain US terrorist suspects without trial | World news | The Guardian
Besides complaining about it what are the "we love the Constitution" people going to do about it? When will the Republicans demand a repeal?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Good question. I didn't hear any of em lying about a veto though did you?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
You'd have to agree that Neo-Cons are fundamentally sound Republicans...they are not....so of course they don't want a veto.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Nice deflection. I don't see any "neo-cons" as you call em in the big chair unless you consider the great orator one. Only one guy has the veto pen. He has shoved it where the sun don't shine it appears. Sun don't shine when your interned indefinitely either. I'm sure many will find that out if Obammer gets his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies