Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 01:03 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
No, not at all. I've applied for oil industry jobs, and I'd take one faster than it took me to type this sentence. That's not the point though.

The point is that regardless of what skills you have, bad things sometimes happen, and you can't wave a magic wand and get the job you want. It takes patience. But I still would believe that I'd be more likely to get a job in my field in the next year or so (I've been laid off for about six months so far) than it would be to retrain.
See, you I'm curious about. Are you unwilling to relocate? Do you think you're just a bad interviewer? Do you just not have any experience? I can't think of too many reasons why you would have difficulty locating something, because there is demand for this type of ability and not much supply of workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You know you've run out of arguments when you repeatedly pull the "I'm older than you" card.

No, I don't have an advanced degree. I still manage to pull contracts making $40-100 per hour, and I consider myself overqualified for most of those. PHP is a toy language.

My common sense tells me that with more experience and more certifications (got 2 this month) I'll make more, not less.

But by all means, please tell me all about this traumatic event that will occur on my 25th birthday. You're not going to let me fall right into it are you? That's not a very liberal and caring thing to do.
I didn't say on your 25th birthday, more like 35th, maybe 40th. I'm amazed that someone so young has so much hubris, and so much advice for everyone else.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I didn't say on your 25th birthday, more like 35th, maybe 40th. I'm amazed that someone so young has so much hubris, and so much advice for everyone else.
Maybe because the 21st century has taught that age != wisdom (you have some roaming about you, but you've proven time and again in this thread that you are not a voice of knowledge).

And just a few posts ago, you were saying it was going to happen within a few years of turning 25. I pointed out I'm well above that age, and now it's going to happen within a few years of my present age? Man, it must be nice be able to just arbitrarily move the goalposts like that and still think you're talking sense.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times
Quote:
Well I'm doing something right apparently. Help me out though I need to know what to keep my eye out for.

I'm not worried about 35th or 40th, I told my brother to shoot me when I turn 30.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Maybe because the 21st century has taught that age != wisdom (you have some roaming about you, but you've proven time and again in this thread that you are not a voice of knowledge).

And just a few posts ago, you were saying it was going to happen within a few years of turning 25. I pointed out I'm well above that age, and now it's going to happen within a few years of my present age? Man, it must be nice be able to just arbitrarily move the goalposts like that and still think you're talking sense.
No, I did not say that, not a few posts ago, or ever. I said a 25 year old had a 10-15 year wait.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Bargainers reach deal to head off gov't shutdown - Yahoo! News

Another 188 billion dollars down the drain as they pay the dregs...I'm sorry, the "long term unemployed"... to play XBox all day.
So, in your opinion, anyone who has lost a job and has yet to find a new one is a deadbeat?

Well, IMO, anyone who make denigrating generalizations regarding people/issues about which they know nothing, is an a$$hole.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
No, I did not say that, not a few posts ago, or ever. I said a 25 year old had a 10-15 year wait.
Direct from you:

Quote:
Big whoop! You're probably no more than 25, either. Just wait a few years!
You were saying?

Quote:
So, in your opinion, anyone who has lost a job and has yet to find a new one is a deadbeat?

Well, IMO, anyone who make denigrating generalizations regarding people/issues about which they know nothing, is an a$$hole.
Maybe, but one that is keeping a roof over your head.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Direct from you:

You were saying?

First of all, the last quote is not mine. I happen to agree with that poster, and repped her for it, but I didn't say it.

Secondly, "a few" can mean anything. I certainly did NOT say at 25. That's the age they like them. Old enough to have some experience, young enough to be stupid enough to work 80 hr. weeks, give up their entire lives to the company, then get laid off.

Finally, just whose head are you keeping a roof over? Certainly not mine! Both my spouse and I are gainfully employed, thank you very much. You know what they say about people who "ass"ume.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
First of all, the last quote is not mine. I happen to agree with that poster, and repped her for it, but I didn't say it.

Secondly, just whose head are you keeping a roof over? Certainly not mine! Both my spouse and I are gainfully employed, thank you very much. You know what they say about people who "ass"ume.
No, the last quote was from Ray, I just didn't feel like tagging it all the way through. Since it was the post DIRECTLY above, didn't feel it necessary.

I see now I have to assume that people won't be able to divine simple things.

BtW, nice job of completely dodging the part that was directed to you. Well done.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Keeping a roof over MY head? FWIW, depending on the time of the year, I have two different roofs over my head and both of them are paid for.

Never pays to ASSume.

And there's no "maybe" about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies