Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""...because taking the product of someones hard work to give to someone else is just plain evil...""

Like corporations took the product (profit) of their employees hard work and gave it to themselves and their stockholders....while lowering employees wages and laying them off.
v. took (tk), tak·en (tkn), tak·ing, takes
v.tr.
1. To get into one's possession by force, skill, or artifice, especially:
a. To capture physically; seize: take an enemy fortress.
b. To seize with authority; confiscate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""...because taking the product of someones hard work to give to someone else is just plain evil...""

Like corporations took the product (profit) of their employees hard work and gave it to themselves and their stockholders....while lowering employees wages and laying them off.

Companies exist to make a profit. If you want to start a company that is not concerned with profits , you have every right to.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we take all the long term unemployed, put them in a boat out in the ocean, and dump them there. I mean, clearly they're worthless "dregs", and it might cause our deficit to go down a bit without making a dent in our precious defense budget.

The right wingers on this thread make me sick.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we take all the long term unemployed, put them in a boat out in the ocean, and dump them there. I mean, clearly they're worthless "dregs", and it might cause our deficit to go down a bit without making a dent in our precious defense budget.

The right wingers on this thread make me sick.
I agree wholeheartedly. Some people go so far as to commit suicide due to long-term unemployment. Clearly, people here have no idea what that does to your self-esteem, made worse by having a large chunk of society looking down on you as worthless, as if you were a criminal.

As I get older, even liking this country has become too difficult, never mind love it.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Not all the "deadbeats" will get another year. HR 3630 has a clause in it..no HS diploma/no GED then no unemployment benefits. And the bill does NOT prevent the state from using drug testing results to deny compensation.

Sec 2122 and 2127. UE just got a little more restrictive.

Read The Bill: H.R. 3630 - GovTrack.us

Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
There is a big difference between those who are unemployed, need (and deserve, I might add) unemployment and those who become "dregs" as one posted put it. Those who decide that taking a job because it doesn't pay what they are "worth", or even worse, those who decide that looking for a job is just not worth it when they can stay on unemployment for additional time are dragging everyone down.. that is a fact. I will agree that it sucks, that all are lumped in together; but as long as there are people out there taking advantage of the situation, and people willing to stand up for those with the unethical behavior it'll never change. Figure out a way to get rid of the abuse and the stereo-types will disappear....

Old 12-17-2011, 07:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Companies exist to make a profit. If you want to start a company that is not concerned with profits , you have every right to.
Clearly a history lesson is needed. In the "olden days" when a recession loomed employers did NOT give raises and bonuses to their executives. The stockholders were told they'd have to scrape by on their millions without additional unneeded millions flowing in because times were tough.

Employers didn't take it out on their average workers because cutting their wages and laying them off was bad for the economy.

It worked then...it would've worked now.....crushing the 99% into the dirt isn't working.

I wonder, too, if these freaks who say this is a "christian" country also feel that those who lost their jobs are ALL dregs and deadbeats....that includes lots of "christians"...

Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
xbox, champagne, and red lobster
Oh, for crying out loud! Talk about class envy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
My nephew landed a entry level position with IBM a few months back. Only pays $18.75 an hr, but not bad for a 20 yr old.
Well, that settles it then! Everyone can go to work for IBM! Funny you should think that $18.75 isn't much money, when you and your compatriots think people should be willing to work for $7.50/hr.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:59 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
There is a big difference between those who are unemployed, need (and deserve, I might add) unemployment and those who become "dregs" as one posted put it. Those who decide that taking a job because it doesn't pay what they are "worth", or even worse, those who decide that looking for a job is just not worth it when they can stay on unemployment for additional time are dragging everyone down.. that is a fact. I will agree that it sucks, that all are lumped in together; but as long as there are people out there taking advantage of the situation, and people willing to stand up for those with the unethical behavior it'll never change. Figure out a way to get rid of the abuse and the stereo-types will disappear....
I agree, there are abuses and abusers of any system. There are people of all walks of life (rich or poor) who are going to take advantage of something or somebody. I lived in South Florida for a while, where Medicare fraud is a huge problem and a problem that costs the taxpayer billions of dollars each year. The fraudsters aren't poor people or inner city people: the fraudsters are doctors who make more than enough of a decent living as it is. The difference is that while I see endless hate-spewing posts about the poor, people seem to ignore fraud and abuse committed by those at the top.

For those who are smug and holier-than-thou enough to think they are irreplaceable at work and that no one could do your job if you quit on Monday, get over yourselves. There are thousands of unemployed people who could and would fill your boots, if given the opportunity.

So instead of looking down on the unemployed and wanting their benefits to be stopped, shut the hell up, get off your high horse and be GRATEFUL that you're not in their shoes, especially at this time of year.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
People should work for whatever amount the position they are qualifeied and is available should pays. My nephew is working on an education so that he doesn't have to work for $7.50. If others did the same they would have the same options available to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies