Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
So.

It's OK for you to call him a "moron" but it's not OK for him to call unemployment leeches a "dreg"?

Just making sure I am up on the rules here.
Yup! And I backed up my "moron" ( a general moron, not directed at any specific person just morons in general) with FACTS.

He pulled 'dregs' out of a bodily orifice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:19 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yeah, I have no facts to back it up. It's not like I'm going to lunch with a person who has been "unemployed" for about a year and a half now doing exactly what I describe....oh wait, I totally AM having lunch with him later. And I'm going to make him pay. And I'll probably call him a bum sometime during the lunch, which he'll laugh at, because he's the first to admit he totally is.
Why are you trying to make everyone else out like your bum friend?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Lets not overlook one simple fact. Companies dont start layoffs with letting go their best employees.
Another "blame the victim" post.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
There is a one huge issue effecting hiring.

There are far fewer jobs today and less people are retiring due to the economy. A good example of this is the teaching field. I used to teach but now work as a consultant for school districts. The teaching market was becoming tight as it was, but now it's getting down right impossible. I talk to first year teachers often who will tell me that they were "the one" to get a job out of college out of five or six friends. Many of their friends are working two or three part time jobs.

This is true in several fields, which is glutting up retail and other lower wage industries. It is not a coincidence that when I go to the mall, I get much better service. The workforce in retail has become much more educated over the last few years.

Now, you can argue that this is good for education and retail. The best of the best are getting hired and this is good for both of those industries, no question. With that said, it leaves those with less education in quite a bind.

It's a mess Obama can't really fix, nor can he fix if he is elected to a next term. And guess what? Romney, Gingrich or Paul won't be able to either.

There's been a shift in our country. During this shift, a lot of people will be on the outside looking in for a very long time.
Nursing has gotten tight because more nurses are postponing retirement, staying full time instead of going to part time, and so forth. It's harder to get a first time job in nursing these days.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Why are you trying to make everyone else out like your bum friend?
Because so many of them are.

Here's my ABSOLUTE favourite example:

So, one of my 2 "jobs" is with an IT consulting firm I started way back when. I pay other people to run it for me these days and don't actually do much there anymore other than poke my head in every so often to make sure everybody's happy, but I still draw a salary from the place as the CEO (it is, after all, my company). And then I've taken a standard 40 hour a week Senior Security Architect position with a large publicly traded company in the area to double up my earnings potential. Anyhow, not too far back at my own company, we posted a job for a Senior Integration Engineer with a salary range of 120-150k/year. Increasing headcount, not a replacement role. Had a pretty long list of requirements, as it was a demanding position.

My admin got more resumes from out of work landscapers, real estate agents, hairstylists, construction workers and various other people who had never had a job paying more than $15 an hour than she did from actual techies looking to take the position.

These people weren't trying to get the job. They knew they wouldn't get a call back. They just sent the resume so they could tell the unemployment department that they made their 3 job contacts. They were INTENTIONALLY putting in resumes to jobs they were nowhere near qualified for because they didn't WANT to obtain a job. My admin actually took a tally of it. I'll ask her to dig it up next time I see her. I think it was something like 112 fake resumes and 19 actual techies.

Don't tell me this doesn't happen or isn't widespread. I see it all the time. And so do you, though you won't admit to it.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Good. Wall-mart can postpone bankruptcy for another year. The people receiving the UI check are nearly irrelevant. The people the unemployed spend the money on are what counts. All the UI money is spent and serves to keep the retail, rental and mortgage sectors alive.

UI is not much different from the pay provided to the Military Industrial complex except the unemployed are not building bombs and bullets and are getting a lot less money. It is much cheaper to pay unemployment than build another F-35 boondoggle fighter.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
i said in a thread a year or so ago (check my thread history) that unemployment would have a worse image then welfare. looks like im right.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another "blame the victim" post.

Victom,, now thats funny. Have you ever employed people?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
The reality is that people on UI for an extended period will find themselfs unemployable when they do get cut-off. The skills they had (if any) will be worthless after being away for so long and they will have the stigma of a lazy person who has entitlement mentality. If they do find a job it will probably for less income than the UI provided.

Really? So somebody who has been an accountant for 15yrs or a librarian suddenly loses their skills and education due to being laid off and out of work for a year?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Republican frothing about poor people is always somewhere between disgusting and amusing. I vote disgusting on this one. If we can bail out rich and incompetent bankers we have no right to demand that the unemployed sleep in the streets and forage from the garbage can.
But crushing average hard working AMERICANS who lost their jobs through no fault of their own IS the Republican plan...they want AMERICANS so desperate for a job that they'll accept slave wages ...that protects the ONLY god Republicans have...The Wealthy.

Ya notice how they NEVER call all those bankers and Wall Streeters(some of whom used taxpayer money to remodel their offices and party) NEVER get called names by Republicans...never get called deadbeats or dregs....even though they are....

It'll show in the polls...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies