Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A well-known economist had this piece in the WSJ about a year ago where he claimed that the UI extensions accounted for 2.7 points of the unemployment rate (9.5 at that time).
Robert Barro: The Folly of Subsidizing Unemployment - WSJ.com

Obviously more weeks of UI that can be collected, the less incentive to find a job.

Isn't that a very good thing for people who really WANT a job?

More people playing XBox while collecting UI = fewer ppl looking for work

Equals less competition for jobs = better prospects for those looking

And what is the basis of this guy's 2.7 point calculation? Let's say (guess) that 50% of ppl collecting UI are sincerely looking for jobs and 50% are gaming the system.

Let's say a job vacancy now attracts only 250 resumes instead of 500 (50% of unemployed not looking = applicant pool reduced by half). HowTF does this affect the unemployment rate by 2.7 points??? The employer is going to hire SOMEBODY and fill the job, which means that SOMEBODY will leave the unemployment rolls regardless of whether some people are shirking. Either way, ONE person will leave the unemployment rolls when an employer hires someone, so how does shirking affect the unemployment rate one way or another?

If the employer does not hire someone, that is presumably because the employer could not find a qualified applicant, in which case it's the skilled workers who are shirking, which sounds doubtful, but should be investigated further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Isn't that a very good thing for people who really WANT a job?
Are you really arguing that it's economically beneficial to pay people to sit home and play xbox?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Plenty of job openings. If you want one that is..............

desmoinesregister.com - CareerBuilder - Jobs

How many are available to unskilled workers without cars? That's gotta be a narrow set.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Are you really arguing that it's economically beneficial to pay people to sit home and play xbox?

No, I'm saying that I'm not seeing how sitting at home playing xbox has a 2.7 point effect on the unemployment rate. Again, the employer is still going to have lots and lots of applicants and is going to hire SOMEONE whether or not Steve Slacker is playing xbox.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
How many are available to unskilled workers without cars? That's gotta be a narrow set.
And how many applications are received for each of those job openings? The quantity of available positions is moot, unless you factor in the number of applicants.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you have a right to be a little annoyed. It is like comparing the CNA to the RN.
Yes, exactly... I'm always polite when people ask these questions, but inside I'm thinking "Give me a freakin' break!"

Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
No, I'm saying that I'm not seeing how sitting at home playing xbox has a 2.7 point effect on the unemployment rate. Again, the employer is still going to have lots and lots of applicants and is going to hire SOMEONE whether or not Steve Slacker is playing xbox.
And where does the money come from for Steve to sit home and play xbox?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And how many applications are received for each of those job openings? The quantity of available positions is moot, unless you factor in the number of applicants.

I would imagine that unskilled jobs attract lots and lots of applicants chasing not nearly enough jobs. A couple years ago a local newspaper reported that a soon-to-open Japanese restaurant had received 1,000 resumes in three days from one post on Craigslist and took down the ad to avoid getting even more resumes.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And where does the money come from for Steve to sit home and play xbox?
Depends on the state, former employer, and how long Steve has been unemployed... so it could be coming from the employer, the state, federal government, and/or Steve himself. Again, these are generally former and current taxpayers who receive UI benefits.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Depends on the state, former employer, and how long Steve has been unemployed... so it could be coming from the employer, the state, federal government, and/or Steve himself. Again, these are generally former and current taxpayers who receive UI benefits.
Well that's my point, artificially lowering unemployment by paying Steve to stop looking for a job isn't really beneficial from an economic standpoint because that money has to come out of the economy.

I'm just giving this guy a hard time though I know what he's responding to and if you're only concerned with unemployment figures I'm sure he's correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies