Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
The mayor is an idiot. He openly stated he would make it difficult for them to get a license to open. If I was the lawyers for Chik-Fil-A, I would be sending a letter to the city attorney threatening legal actions I they refuse or cause delays in issuing the license without legal cause.

Not only is he attempting to prevent needed jobs but will also be spending city resources in order to prevent the store all in a bad economy.
I don't think anyone who is trying to block another crappy fast food restaurant from blighting the culinary landscape (especially one with an agenda against human rights and a track record of being racist and homophobic) is doing the wrong thing.

Let's recap. No CFA =
1. No crappy obesity-promoting fast food
2. No more money put in anti-gay agenda mongering POS company
3. No more money put in the racist, sexist agenda mongering POS company
4. Fewer grease spoon jobs
5. Less competition for mom-and-pop local restaurants

Pfffft.

No one cares if you are 'christian' company. But when you use profits to directly fund gay hating groups (groups that exist entirely to fight against gay rights), then you've taken a very different stand.

p.s. Boston, you're not missing a darn thing, anyway.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Oh I've heard of Chick-fil-A. Those are the idiots who are suing a guy in Vermont for selling t-shirts that say "Eat More Kale." They think it is too similar to their "Eat mor chikn" slogan. I guess if you're an illiterate junk-food eating hick, you can't spell and you certainly can't tell the difference between a vegetable and fowl.

Errr..I think the idea behind the marketing campaign is having cows campaign for more people to eat chicken and eat less beef. It's actually a good marketing campaign and they release a pretty hilarious calendar each year with coupons. Is suing the guy in VT dumb? Probably...but then again I dislike most litigation.

Anyways, Chick-Fil-A is taking off in the DC area (although MD is trailing behind), I'm gonna go support them with my business for lunch today. A Spicy chicken sandwich I think...

If you dislike Chick-Fil-A because they're a Christian company, that's your preoperative. But like it or not, they are the best run fast food company and the ONLY major one that I know of that has any semblance of customer service.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Personally I have an issue with the mayor even being involved in this. Why not let the people decide? If they don't want it there, they won't go and spend their money. Problem solved.

Unless of course, he's afraid that it might be successful because some people just don't care about the beliefs of the company serving them waffle fries. Can't have that...people supporting the right for a company to have beliefs. Or the right to donate money to organizations who have similar beliefs.

Better implement a law that companies can only donate money to government approved organizations

Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think anyone who is trying to block another crappy fast food restaurant from blighting the culinary landscape (especially one with an agenda against human rights and a track record of being racist and homophobic) is doing the wrong thing.

Let's recap. No CFA =?
1. No crappy obesity-promoting fast food
2. No more money put in anti-gay agenda mongering POS company
3. No more money put in the racist, sexist agenda mongering POS company
4. Fewer grease spoon jobs
5. Less competition for mom-and-pop local restaurants

Pfffft.

No one cares if you are 'christian' company. But when you use profits to directly fund gay hating groups (groups that exist entirely to fight against gay rights), then you've taken a very different stand.

p.s. Boston, you're not missing a darn thing, anyway.
Your opinions about Chick-Fil-A are nearly worthless (as are mine), but what's deeply disturbing about your post is that you think it's the government's job to step in and thwart those who disagree with you, or to provide "less competition for mom-and-pop local restaurants". How about we let the market decide if Chick-Fil-A has a place in Boston? If the population feels the same way you do then that location will close down and they will leave, and rightfully so. Anything else reeks of totalitarianism.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Chick-fil-A is one of the very few restaurants I frequent.

In fact, I went to a Chick-fil-A today for lunch. Yummmm

They also have an awesome 'chicken and biscuit' for breakfast.

btw... they are closed on Sunday.

While I do not particulary like their sandwiches, I like the spirit of this company. I haven't seen the statistics lately, but while all the other places were catering to the devil and his crowd, this company is staying true to Christian values. Used to everybody stayed closed on Sunday. Not long ago I noticed that while other places are having a hard time, this company is thriving. "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God."

While to me you get too much chicken with the bread in their sandwiches, my husband thinks they are the best.

BTW, no true Christian hates others. Not agreeing with ones lifestyle is not hate. We are taught to hate the sin and love the sinner. God loves everybody and Christians should too but we don't have to be like them.

Last edited by NCN; 07-21-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:15 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
As an staunch egalitarian and very pro equal rights for all people regardless of sexual orientation, my opinion of chickfila may surprise you.

I don't believe boycotting or blocking this establishment is going to get even with the executives for where they put their own personal revenue or what organizations they may contribute to.
This got out but if you look at political campaign contributions for most major companies and lots of right wing rich executives, many of them are donating to people or organizations that are very much against equal rights for homosexuals. Target Stores got some press for this not long ago too.

I had proposed something different in a forum for discussion of GLBT issues and it was not well received.
My idea was to promote ChickFila as a "family" gathering spot, just as many other restaurants are for GLBT groups- where I used to live, it was the local Dennys and on a certain night of the week, it would be practically taken over at a certain time by a large GLBT group.
If Chickfila had the same reputation that Disney World had with regards to being a GLBT hangout (from only one day a year!), all the anti-gay rights people would no longer eat there and the Cathy's would s*** bricks.
See, to religious zealots, they don't care about money or losing customers over an issue like this. All they care about is their ideology. So I say let them in, let them build out their network of stores and spend billions then organize. Pick a night of the week where every ChickFila in the country becomes a GLBT hangout and host marriage equality meetings there. Hey, Cathy himself said he welcomes everyone regardless of their sexual preference so there you go. Imagine the look on his face when his own evangelical hate buddies speak out against his restaurants.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Your opinions about Chick-Fil-A are nearly worthless (as are mine), but what's deeply disturbing about your post is that you think it's the government's job to step in and thwart those who disagree with you, or to provide "less competition for mom-and-pop local restaurants". How about we let the market decide if Chick-Fil-A has a place in Boston? If the population feels the same way you do then that location will close down and they will leave, and rightfully so. Anything else reeks of totalitarianism.
Where did I say that?
I am actually AGAINST the government imposing agendas like this. I like the stance the mayor is attempting to take. I don't agree with the government taking these steps, however.
In fact, I am very much for free market dictating what businesses go where.

I am just saying I have no respect for Chik-Fil-A and I am not saddened by this news. Any setback for them is not a tragedy in my eyes.

Similarly, however, you will find the christian contingent getting the government to do lots of things. For example, why is it I can't buy alcohol on Sundays? Wow...that sounds like someone who doesn't agree with me trying to control my life by using the government to impose their rules on my life.

It cuts both ways.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
I am not surprised. It is Mumbles Menino we are talking about.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Where did I say that?
I am actually AGAINST the government imposing agendas like this. I like the stance the mayor is attempting to take. I don't agree with the government taking these steps, however.
In fact, I am very much for free market dictating what businesses go where.

I am just saying I have no respect for Chik-Fil-A and I am not saddened by this news. Any setback for them is not a tragedy in my eyes.
You said "I don't think that anyone who is trying to block...is doing the wrong thing". If that "anyone" is in the government and acting in that capacity, as is the case here, then you have the government taking steps that you say you don't agree with. If I misinterpreted what you said, or if you weren't clear enough in your post, then we don't have much to argue about. About the actual merits of Chick-Fil-A, this comes down to merely personal taste and ideology.

I personally like their food, and appreciate that they treat their employees well, have excellent customer service, and aren't ashamed of "being Christian". I also disagree with their stance on supporting anti-gay groups, but fortunately that stance defines neither the company nor Christianity itself.

Quote:
Similarly, however, you will find the christian contingent getting the government to do lots of things. For example, why is it I can't buy alcohol on Sundays? Wow...that sounds like someone who doesn't agree with me trying to control my life by using the government to impose their rules on my life.

It cuts both ways.
It absolutely cuts both ways (were you expecting me to denounce this? ). The government should not be imposing anything on the basis of religion. However, I think liquor laws in general have no basis in logic. Here in MD, you can't buy alcohol from grocery stores, with an exception granted to 1 grocery store of a given company per county. Whereas across the river in redder Virginia, there are no illogical restrictions like this.

But as long as we keep saying stuff like "it cuts both ways" for the purposes of winning an argument, then we'll never succeed in what's important-stopping unnecessary government imposition.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Whats a Chick-fil-a, never seen one anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies