Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Still no cigar. (No pun intended) No customers are being bothered by non-smoking rooms. Some customers are bothered by smoking rooms. Also, as detshen pointed out, this in an employeed issue as well. While true that no cusotmoer is going to get lung cancer or any other illness from second-hand smoke in a motel room, requiring employees to be around the stuff all day is defintiely bad for the employees (of the hotel/motel).
Um...you do know that up until, oh, about the late 1980's or early '90's, smoking on the job was actually quite normal and accepted. Even in airplanes!

Yet, I don't see any evidence that flight attendants are dropping like flies from breathing all that smoke back then, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Smokers are looked down upon by non-smokers like they are the scum of the earth. That's how it is and it's just going to get worse over time. And there are many more non-smokers. That's just how it is. Many non-smokers will not visit smoker's homes, or go to dinner/events with them if smoking is going to occur. Basically, they lose some companionship over the smoking unless the other companions are smokers. Non smokers do not want to be near someone that is smoking, even outdoors(ever notice how they try to change position to get away from the smoke trail?)
Just like good German's shunned Jews.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Just like good German's shunned Jews.
A comparison to the Holocaust is totally inappropriate!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
In MY opinion hotels have the right to dictate their rules....after all they are privately owned.

If you do not like it, you can go somewhere else.

I am a Conservative by the way...Not a Liberal.

And that is just my opinion.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Um...you do know that up until, oh, about the late 1980's or early '90's, smoking on the job was actually quite normal and accepted. Even in airplanes!

Yet, I don't see any evidence that flight attendants are dropping like flies from breathing all that smoke back then, do you?
The research speaks for itself:

Pulmonary Function Abnormalities in Never Smoking Flight Attendants Exposed to Secondhand Tobacco Smoke in the Aircraft Cabin
***This cohort of healthy never-smoking flight attendants who were exposed to SHS in the aircraft cabin showed pulmonary function abnormalities suggestive of airway obstruction and impaired diffusion.

Associations between respiratory illnesses and secondhand smoke exposure in flight attendants: A cross-sectional analysis of the Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute Survey
***Flight attendants experience increased rates of respiratory illnesses compared to a population sample. The frequency of symptoms of nasal congestion, throat or eye irritation is associated with occupational SHS exposure in the pre-smoking ban era.

Plus much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not comparing today's America with the Holocaust. I'm comparing the attitudes of anti-smokers with the prejudice toward Jews demonstrated by the "good" German's of the day.

Jews were shunned, belittled, attacked, thought of as less than human, reviled, made fun of and treated with disdain. They were forced out of cinemas, night clubs, restaurants, hotels and even parks and playgrounds.

Can you honestly say the anti's don't treat smokers the same way?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Yes, it is, and it doesn't even make sense, smokers aren't being persecuted or avoided simply for being smokers. People avoid smokers because the smell gets in their hair and clothes and is difficult to remove, for a non smoker that's highly unpleasant, which is clearly much different than hating, and attempting to exterminate a race of people.

There is also more to smoking than possible eventual cancer, I spent Christmas day with my fiancee's family with many smokers and my breathing was impaired into the next day, and I have healthy lungs. It wasn't a big deal, but I ran up the stairs after putting the laundry in to wash the smokey clothes, and lost my breath which never happens normally, my fiancee who has asthma and severe allergies had to take extra medication for an attack. I was involved in a study of athletes and we would test their lung function the day after going out to smokey places, it was found we had to recommend they stay away from smokers before competing because it had a measurable negative effect on lung performance, and overall performance was also hurt, muscles measured weaker, probably due to decreased oxygen levels. This is why I support it as an employment law, there are many negative effects that happen daily, and will be cumulative over an 8 hour day, 40 hour workweek, and go beyond just the possibility of just increased future cancer risk. A business owner can allow smoking in his property all he wants as long he has no employees.

Last edited by detshen; 12-27-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not comparing today's America with the Holocaust. I'm comparing the attitudes of anti-smokers with the prejudice toward Jews demonstrated by the "good" German's of the day.

Jews were shunned, belittled, attacked, thought of as less than human, reviled, made fun of and treated with disdain. They were forced out of cinemas, night clubs, restaurants, hotels and even parks and playgrounds.

Yes. All the smoker has to do is put out his/her cigarette to use the above businesses and services if they have a no-smoking policy.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
My wife's brother played drums in a polka band for 40 years. Played with Frank Yankovic for years, played with him when he was on johnny Carson.

Anyhow, the years of second hand smoke, from the bar scene, took his life. Not sure what the fuss is, should we end this national addiction and protect those that are not smokers?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:

Has anyone ever forced you out of a place simply because you are a smoker? I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies