Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Bad odor? It's poison.

As a non-smoker, I don't want to be placed in a smoking room where the poison has soaked into the walls, the carpet, the drapes, the bedspread. That poison is emitting into the air for all the breathe it in, even if nobody smoked in the room for the past several days.
Then fer gosh sakes don't give your business and money to a place that permits smoking. Are there none of these around?

In fact, can you (or anyone else for that matter) share a story of recent happening, that "you" were forced into a smoking room because there were no non-smoking rooms available? Please do tell.

If this has never happened to you, or anyone else you know, then what is the problem? You are right, it is poison. That is why I quit. But if I don't want to breath smoke (first, second, or third or fourth cuzzins), then all the hell I have to do is not spend my money where it is allowed.

Of course, I realize I (and many others) were raised in a day and age where every societal message sent was not that of that we were the center of the universe and that we could invent rights at will, and at the expense of the freedoms of others. And (*horrors*)...there even existed the concept of taking responsibility for your own choices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then fer gosh sakes don't give your business and money to a place that permits smoking. Are there none of these around?

In fact, can you (or anyone else for that matter) share a story of recent happening, that "you" were forced into a smoking room because there were no non-smoking rooms available? Please do tell.

If this has never happened to you, or anyone else you know, then what is the problem? You are right, it is poison. That is why I quit. But if I don't want to breath smoke (first, second, or third or fourth cuzzins), then all the hell I have to do is not spend my money where it is allowed.

Of course, I realize I (and many others) were raised in a day and age where every societal message sent was not that of that we were the center of the universe and that we could invent rights at will, and at the expense of the freedoms of others. And (*horrors*)...there even existed the concept of taking responsibility for your own choices!
But...but...but then you wouldn't have the assurance that government can take care of everything? I mean, after all, how's a person to get through the day without government's guiding hand to protect us?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not if it says "special requests are not guaranteed" right in the reservation agreement... sorry, but it's not their fault if you fail to read the fine print!
In case anyone still doesn't understand, I took a screenshot to show you... whether or not a hotel considers smoking vs non-smoking to be a "special request" depends on management, but in my experiences (of not getting a smoking room as requested) they generally do consider it as such. Unlike most/all of the non-smokers here, I actually have tested the theory!

If you're really concerned about getting the exact room requested, I've learned there are two things you can do... either check in at the earliest time possible, or call them early in the day to pay in full & book a specific room. As I often travel with my dog, I always make sure to do one of the above - since it would be not only inconvenient, but could render us "homeless" if I showed up to find no dog-friendly rooms were left.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-25-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin have banned smoking in hotels. This happened last year. Jennifer Granholm is an anti-freedom slob and a left wing zealot. It's no wonder that Michigan elected a Republican this time for Governor.

My wife and I recently went on vacation down south. Coming back north we discovered that we couldn't get a smoking room at any hotel in WI or MI.

Why would these states discourage tourism? Tourism is one of Michigan's biggest industries. It's stupid.

If someone smokes in a hotel room -- IT WILL NOT KILL THE FAMILY IN THE NEXT ROOM. Get it Democrats?

Why is it that whenever LIBERALS are in charge ..... AMERICANS lose their FREEDOM?

Same reason Johnny Dep moved to France....so he could smoke My wife and I are non smokers but agree that the hotel industry should make this decision, not the government. Then again, we are Libertarians, so that just goes with our small government way of thinking

Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farseeker2 View Post
You don't get it. How shortsighted can YOU be?
I'm not. I have principles (regarding freedom) and I can think beyond my immediate wants and needs.

Third hand smoke... LOL... you can get cancer from everything these days. Don't like it, go somewhere else.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Third hand smoke... LOL... you can get cancer from everything these days. Don't like it, go somewhere else.
Heck, my apartment complex has posted signs stating "this facility uses chemicals known by the state of California to increase the risk of cancer." Should I sue, and demand they stop cleaning the common areas & pool? No thanks, I'll take my chances! LOL

Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Same reason Johnny Dep moved to France....so he could smoke My wife and I are non smokers but agree that the hotel industry should make this decision, not the government. Then again, we are Libertarians, so that just goes with our small government way of thinking
I'm a Libertarian too, and issues like this are precisely why I no longer associate with the major parties... although I do admit to registering Democrat, just because they restrict materials & certain primary elections to Dem & Rep in California.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a Libertarian too, and issues like this are precisely why I no longer associate with the major parties... although I do admit to registering Democrat, just because they restrict materials & certain primary elections to Dem & Rep in California.

Too many Demos want the government in all aspects of ones life....not us. The Repubs are hardly much better either......

Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Too many Demos want the government in all aspects of ones life....not us. The Repubs are hardly much better either......
I can't disagree with that! I used to call myself a Democrat, because I thought that's what liberal Californians were supposed to be... then I realized they were no better than Republicans, in terms of stomping on personal freedoms (among other issues). So now I proudly call myself Libertarian, or just an independent thinker who votes with my brain.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin have banned smoking in hotels. This happened last year. Jennifer Granholm is an anti-freedom slob and a left wing zealot. It's no wonder that Michigan elected a Republican this time for Governor.

My wife and I recently went on vacation down south. Coming back north we discovered that we couldn't get a smoking room at any hotel in WI or MI.

Why would these states discourage tourism? Tourism is one of Michigan's biggest industries. It's stupid.

If someone smokes in a hotel room -- IT WILL NOT KILL THE FAMILY IN THE NEXT ROOM. Get it Democrats?

Why is it that whenever LIBERALS are in charge ..... AMERICANS lose their FREEDOM?
Conversely, on a trip home from out west, I booked a room at a hotel in Colorado which advertised it had 100% non smoking rooms. When I opened the door to my room, it was very obvious the previous guest was a heavy smoker. I was so bad it triggered my asthma within moments of opening the door. Management was able to give me a new room.

There were plenty of hotels in the area -- one was immediately next-door. Why couldn't the smoker have inquired into the policy ofbthe adjacent hotel (googled, they have smoking rooms) as opposed to fouling a non smoking one?

I believe hotels should have smoking and non smoking wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies