Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 01:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No but it will inconvenience them. Therefore, they have to force everyone else to adapt and inconvenience themselves in order to avoid that inconvenience.
And that's really it in a nutshell for many of this type.

Some of course have savior-complexes which cause them to embark on a crusade to restrict the freedoms of others "for their own good." And for others it comes down to "it's all about me and moi rights" not be be inconvienced in any way, nor have to take personal responsibility for their own choices. Instead, they will use the heavy-hand of government to restrict the private property rights of others in order to accomadate their personal likes and dislikes.

Of course, many of this ilk are just totally shocked when the "health-police" come after their preferences as well. Never seeing the big picture and the connections. Bu..bu...but...fat food or wearing too much perfume in businesses isnt the same as smoking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Amen!

Smoking also considerably deadens one's sense of smell. I don't think many smokers even realize the strength of the lingering odor that smoking leaves on their person (or in an enclosed space like a hotel room).

I quit 15 years ago and I was absolutely amazed at how bad a smoker smells right after a cigarette. As soon as they enter a room, anyone with an unimpaired sense of smell knows they've been smoking. I used to think if I popped a mint after a smoke, nobody would be the wiser!

I have a buddy at work that proudly states that he doesn't smoke at home anymore...."because my wife thinks I quit".

He actually believes that...LOL
!
LOL I have to agree with you on this part at least. Reminds me of my former father-in-law who claimed to have quit smoking, but would sneak out into his cabinet shop to do so. The rest of us, especially me and my ex, and his wife, would just smile knowingly when he would come back into the house and the smell be all over him. Hell, all of us were former smokers ourselves so we knew damn well what it was! LOL

But as the the main issue, if you notice, many of us who are taking a certain position are former smokers ourselves and very glad we quit. I know I am. We are not framing it in terms of "smokers rights" but rather, "private property rights." Most of us here have said there is no problem with banning smoking in truly public buildings (i.e. courthouses, government offices, police stations, hospitals, etc) where people may have no choice but to enter and conduct business. Likewise no problem with a private establishment (i.e. bar, restaurant, motel, etc) if they want to ban smoking on a voluntary basis. If someone wants to smoke, then they are free to go elsewhere and spend their money.

BUT...that is a two-way street. If on the other hand, a business owner wants to permit smoking and/or allow it on a limited basis then it should be THEIR right to make that decision. They are the ones who put up the money, pay the taxes and license fees, take all the risks, and know their customers better than anyone else and want best suits their business interests. And in that case? Well, those who hate to smell smoke are equally free to go elsewhere. There are plenty of places around to do so.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Smoking is a disgusting habit that infringes on my rights to not want to smell it. So if smokers are finding it difficult to continue their habits then they can A) stay home and smoke up like a choo choo train or B) deal with the changes and refrain from smoking in public places where it is intrusive and a nuisance to others.
Or, better yet. If you don't want to smell smoke, simply patronize and spend your money where it is not permitted. What is so difficult about that?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Her position actually, but yeah - we're pretty much on the same page, even if I misspoke about the airplanes.
I stand corrected!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I have to agree with you on this part at least. Reminds me of my former father-in-law who claimed to have quit smoking, but would sneak out into his cabinet shop to do so. The rest of us, especially me and my ex, and his wife, would just smile knowingly when he would come back into the house and the smell be all over him. Hell, all of us were former smokers ourselves so we knew damn well what it was! LOL

But as the the main issue, if you notice, many of us who are taking a certain position are former smokers ourselves and very glad we quit. I know I am. We are not framing it in terms of "smokers rights" but rather, "private property rights." Most of us here have said there is no problem with banning smoking in truly public buildings (i.e. courthouses, government offices, police stations, hospitals, etc) where people may have no choice but to enter and conduct business. Likewise no problem with a private establishment (i.e. bar, restaurant, motel, etc) if they want to ban smoking on a voluntary basis. If someone wants to smoke, then they are free to go elsewhere and spend their money.

BUT...that is a two-way street. If on the other hand, a business owner wants to permit smoking and/or allow it on a limited basis then it should be THEIR right to make that decision. They are the ones who put up the money, pay the taxes and license fees, take all the risks, and know their customers better than anyone else and want best suits their business interests. And in that case? Well, those who hate to smell smoke are equally free to go elsewhere. There are plenty of places around to do so.

Yes, I forgot to add that, but I agree with all that say this issue is none of government's business. The most I would go along with would be a requirement for the innkeeper to post two Vacancy/No Vacancy signs...one for smoking rooms and one for nonsmoking. That way, folks could keep gettin' up if what they wanted was unavailable.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:32 PM

179 posts, read 141,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin have banned smoking in hotels. This happened last year. Jennifer Granholm is an anti-freedom slob and a left wing zealot. It's no wonder that Michigan elected a Republican this time for Governor.

My wife and I recently went on vacation down south. Coming back north we discovered that we couldn't get a smoking room at any hotel in WI or MI.

Why would these states discourage tourism? Tourism is one of Michigan's biggest industries. It's stupid.

If someone smokes in a hotel room -- IT WILL NOT KILL THE FAMILY IN THE NEXT ROOM. Get it Democrats?

Why is it that whenever LIBERALS are in charge ..... AMERICANS lose their FREEDOM?
Glad you like the fact that you can't check in to a room filled with tar/nicotine and the other carcinogens. Glad you'll be responsible for your family's COPD and asthma. Seen all the coughing done in hospital ER's? I'd rather sleep in a clean room anytime, just like a table to be clean when I eat at restaurants.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No they don't... again, if you read the fine print, it clearly says "special requests are NOT guaranteed." That legally releases them from being sued, if you arrive and find your requested room isn't available. They have to provide a room of some sort, but it doesn't have to be the one you wanted. Period.
Which is a damn good reason to outlaw smoking in hotel rooms; so I don't end up in a room reeking of nicotine.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Which is a damn good reason to outlaw smoking in hotel rooms; so I don't end up in a room reeking of nicotine.
Yeah, let's just outlaw all bad odors.

You people really don't get it. How shortsighted can you be?

Old 12-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
First, majority rules.
Second, don't confuse public and private.
Most of this and its corrollary points, I notice, have already been well addressed by SamBarrows. But to add a couple of things, I am not confusing public and private. However, it seems you are intentionally trying to blur the lines in order to make your own preferences fit.

Also, to re-emphasize a few points already made by him, your analogies are indeed quite faulty. Just to touch on a few...

Drunk driving is illegal. Smoking is not. And to boot, as often been pointed out in other considerations, public highways are truly public in that people often have no choice but to use them.

Requiring a license to serve liquor? Well, first of all, would you have a problem if a private business were allowed to permit smoking if they applied for a license to do so on the premises first? If not, why not? Or is it just really all about prohibiting smoking anywhere because you don't like it?

You mention it ok in ones own home? That's mighty magnanimous of you to make such a concession...but in some places, the anti-smoking zealots health-police are going after that as well.

On a related tangent, why don't they just push for a total ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of cigars/cigarettes? That is really the ultimate goal for many of that ilk, anyway, so why not just be honest and upfront about it? Of course, Prohibition on alcohol was an awful failure, but seems like every few generations people have to learn certain things by bitter expeience.

Anyway, the bottom line is that in a truly free society as classically understood, then the rights of the private business owner supercede the so-called "rights" of others not to be inconvenienced when the latter have the free choice to go and/or spend their money elsewhere.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:26 PM

125 posts, read 194,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Good, I wish every state would ban those cancer sticks from the motel rooms. You want to smoke, go outside if its that important to you. I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke. The more indoor areas than ban it, the better.
What right have you got to ban smoking? I smoked (about fifty a day) for more years than I care to remember, finally stopped four years ago, through my choice. I have no problem with other people smoking around me, in fact I enjoy the smell of the cigarette smoke but am not tempted to take up the habit again. We all have rights and that includes smokers. How about banning obese people? That puts a much bigger drain on the health services, at least smokers pay tax on their cigarettes, there is no tax on food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies