Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 10:48 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,097 times

Advertisements

Since when is it the fault of liberals that smoking is now made to be more difficult in this country?

Smoking is a foul, unhealthy, and dangerous habit that is a negative influence on all our lives. It causes serious health problems, drives up the cost of medical care, and presents environmental problems for our citizens.

I agree that I dont want to stay in a hotel that allows smoking in rooms----smoke is not contained----when you walk in the hallways you smell the smoke and it is unpleasant and unhealthy. For those who wish to smoke, talk a walk outside----or if its cold go to your car and puff away.

Why are liberals responsible for trying to make it harder to smoke in hotels??? This is a project and undertaking that provides health benefits and improvements for everyone---libs and conservatives----why does it always come down to an idealogical stance-----slogans and idealogy are now really hurting this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Since when is it the fault of liberals that smoking is now made to be more difficult in this country?

Smoking is a foul, unhealthy, and dangerous habit that is a negative influence on all our lives. It causes serious health problems, drives up the cost of medical care, and presents environmental problems for our citizens.

I agree that I dont want to stay in a hotel that allows smoking in rooms----smoke is not contained----when you walk in the hallways you smell the smoke and it is unpleasant and unhealthy. For those who wish to smoke, talk a walk outside----or if its cold go to your car and puff away.

Why are liberals responsible for trying to make it harder to smoke in hotels??? This is a project and undertaking that provides health benefits and improvements for everyone---libs and conservatives----why does it always come down to an idealogical stance-----slogans and idealogy are now really hurting this nation.
Why is it an ideological issue? Well, because it's not about smoking. Everyone agrees that smoking and secondhand smoke are bad for you. The issue is whether business owners and consumers should be allowed to make their own decisions or government should make their decisions for them.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Because without larger principles we are nothing. If everything was evaluated without a focus on the big picture, we wouldn't have a number of the freedoms we have in this country.

It's not about ideology vs logic. It's about big picture vs small picture.

Shutting down the KKK would be an improvement for everyone, no? Great idea, if you feel like ignoring the "ideology" of free speech.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why is it an ideological issue? Well, because it's not about smoking. Everyone agrees that smoking and secondhand smoke are bad for you. The issue is whether business owners and consumers should be allowed to make their own decisions or government should make their decisions for them.
When it comes down to matters of public health, I don't think businesses should get the choice to allow their customers to damage other people's health.

A good byproduct of this type of legislation is that it makes it harder for people to smoke, which is better for them. However, that is not why I support such legislation.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why is it an ideological issue? Well, because it's not about smoking. Everyone agrees that smoking and secondhand smoke are bad for you. The issue is whether business owners and consumers should be allowed to make their own decisions No, not always or government should make their decisions for them Yes, regarding some issues.
Answers in red.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Too many Demos want the government in all aspects of ones life....not us. The Repubs are hardly much better either......
I'd say the Republicans are just as bad. Just with different issues. Sometimes even the same issues. It is not like there aren't any Republicans who are pro-smoking ban. Also, some Democrats oppose smoking bans as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

If "third hand smoke" is such a mortal danger, why aren't my kids dead yet? Or, my grandkids? Or, great-grandkids? They ALL have grown up crawling around and playing in my house, which must be ankle deep in "third hand smoke" after 40 years of my wife and I smoking 2 packs a day in it.

(sarcasm on) Third hand smoke! Snort! You suckers will believe anything, won't you? (sarcasm off)

You gotta love anti-smoking propaganda. They used to focus on the actual verifiable threats from firsthand smoking. Then they switched to secondhand smoke which is open to interpretation, but still has some epidemiological basis. Now, they are focusing on a shaky hypothesis with little grounding in actual facts. Next they will be claiming smokers shoot demons from their eyes and that we use the blood of non-smoking children to flavor our tobacco.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:28 AM

442 posts, read 540,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Next they will be claiming smokers shoot demons from their eyes and that we use the blood of non-smoking children to flavor our tobacco.
That would make a good anti-smoking commercial

Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
That would make a good anti-smoking commercial
The anti-smoking movement has borrowed from sexual puritan, classist, and and racist propaganda, they might as borrow anti-Semitic propaganda as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 AM

442 posts, read 540,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
The anti-smoking movement has borrowed from sexual puritan, classist, and and racist propaganda, they might as borrow anti-Semitic propaganda as well.
In all honesty I have no clue what you're talking about, nor am I saying you're wrong, but I'd be interested in seeing examples of each of these. A PM would be fine!

Old 12-26-2011, 04:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Many hotels have terraces, if I was a smoker I would go outside to the terrace to smoke.

Not in Wisconsin, you wouldn't. Smoking is prohibited within what the law calls a "reasonable distance" of a door or window, and balconies or terraces are too close to be "reasonable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies