Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times

Advertisements

I am a non-smoker and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. It is a most unhealthy and even a dirty habit.

Therefore, I am not opposed to banning smoking from hotel rooms. Since smoking itself is not illegal, let the smokers go outside to smoke. Many hotels have terraces, if I was a smoker I would go outside to the terrace to smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am a non-smoker and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. It is a most unhealthy and even a dirty habit.

Therefore, I am not opposed to banning smoking from hotel rooms.
Thus, your entire opinion on this subject is based on personal preferences & other people's health/cleanliness? Going by that, do you also support banning unhealthy foods you don't personally eat? I don't eat beef and it's not very good for you, so I guess I should be pushing for a hamburger & steak ban!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Conversely, on a trip home from out west, I booked a room at a hotel in Colorado which advertised it had 100% non smoking rooms. When I opened the door to my room, it was very obvious the previous guest was a heavy smoker. I was so bad it triggered my asthma within moments of opening the door. Management was able to give me a new room.

There were plenty of hotels in the area -- one was immediately next-door. Why couldn't the smoker have inquired into the policy ofbthe adjacent hotel (googled, they have smoking rooms) as opposed to fouling a non smoking one?
That's a good question, but we won't know without asking them... most of us, I hope, do actually follow the rules! I'm a long-time Californian, so it's actually more natural for me to smoke outside - as most public places & businesses have banned indoor smoking for years now. I've smoked in a few of my rental apartments/homes, but have also maintained 100% outdoor smoking in those where it wasn't allowed (or if I had a non-smoking roommate). We're usually flexible, but this particular issue is more of a "where do the rights of business owners & patrons begin/end" kind of thing.

Quote:
I believe hotels should have smoking and non smoking wings.
That would be a fair compromise, and many hotels already have designated smoking vs non-smoking floors. Somebody will still find a way to complain, though, I guarantee it!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:59 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thus, your entire opinion on this subject is based on personal preferences & other people's health/cleanliness? Going by that, do you also support banning unhealthy foods you don't personally eat? I don't eat beef and it's not very good for you, so I guess I should be pushing for a hamburger & steak ban!
How about a ban on forum posts that offend our notion of freedom?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How about a ban on forum posts that offend our notion of freedom?
That would be nice, but it would render this forum dead.

I officially declare a ban on discussing cigarettes on this forum!! Seriously, whenever this topic comes up, I find myself smoking 3x what I'd normally smoke while reading it... this is NOT good for my attempt at quitting, LOL.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,866 times
Quote:
I officially declare a ban on discussing cigarettes on this forum!! Seriously, whenever this topic comes up, I find myself smoking 3x what I'd normally smoke while reading it... this is NOT good for my attempt at quitting, LOL.

Funny

Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Funny
Funny but true!! Discussing cigarettes just triggers the craving, so I really need to stop participating in these debates.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,268 times
Quote:
Funny but true!! Discussing cigarettes just triggers the craving, so I really need to stop participating in these debates.
Third hand statism causes cancer.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Third hand statism causes cancer.
LOL... no kidding!!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the agreement DOES NOT say anything about non refundable rooms then you have every right to demand a refund if given a smoking room when a non-smoking was requested.

If you used your credit card then you need to dispute the charges and have the credit card company refuse to pay.
sorry jojan, but when you guarantee a reservation, that only gets you the room type you reserved. and since hotels DO NOT SPECIFICALLY reserve non smoking rooms as they are a special request, the only thing you can do is cancel the reservation with in the allotted time frame, and try a different hotel. some properties will let you choose not to stay if you dont get a non smoking room when you requested one, but that depends on a number of things, such as;

will they be able to resell the room? if you check in at say 4pm, and they dont have a non smoking room and you want to go elsewhere, then chances are they will let you out of the reservation. if you check in at around midnight, chances are you are going to have to pay for the room for one night as a guaranteed no show.

it also depends on if they have a number of rooms to rent, or if they are running full.

again a non smoking room is a request, nothing more. i have worked in the hotel industry for 25 years in a number of properties across the country, i know what i am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies