Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 04:49 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times

Advertisements

If ya cant smoke a cig, how are ya going to kill the smell of the joint ya smoked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:50 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Since when is it the fault of liberals that smoking is now made to be more difficult in this country?

Smoking is a foul, unhealthy, and dangerous habit that is a negative influence on all our lives. It causes serious health problems, drives up the cost of medical care, and presents environmental problems for our citizens.

I agree that I dont want to stay in a hotel that allows smoking in rooms----smoke is not contained----when you walk in the hallways you smell the smoke and it is unpleasant and unhealthy. For those who wish to smoke, talk a walk outside----or if its cold go to your car and puff away.

Why are liberals responsible for trying to make it harder to smoke in hotels??? This is a project and undertaking that provides health benefits and improvements for everyone---libs and conservatives----why does it always come down to an idealogical stance-----slogans and idealogy are now really hurting this nation.
Man, do you ever read the news? It's hardly just liberals who are pushing the smoke-Nazi agenda. Good ol' "conservative" GOP legislatures and governor's are right in there too. One, Mike Huckabee (the darling of the Evangelical right) even went so far during his campaign as to say that he sees nothing wrong with using the power of government to force people to adopt "healthy" habits.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post

You gotta love anti-smoking propaganda. They used to focus on the actual verifiable threats from firsthand smoking. Then they switched to secondhand smoke which is open to interpretation, but still has some epidemiological basis. Now, they are focusing on a shaky hypothesis with little grounding in actual facts. Next they will be claiming smokers shoot demons from their eyes and that we use the blood of non-smoking children to flavor our tobacco.
They won't be satisfied until smokers are herded into "smoking cessation" camps for forced, involuntary quitting.

Or, better yet, just shoot smokers on sight.

Actually, I'm encouraged by the responses in this thread. More and more people, even non-smokers, are recognizing that we're at the point of going too far and are beginning to voice concerns over the taking of the liberties and civil rights from smokers. Thank you for standing up and speaking out!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sounds like you'll only be happy if smoking is outlawed completely, and all buildings that have ever been smoked inside are demolished. Have you ever rented a home or apartment, or bought a home that wasn't brand new? If so, do you know if any former occupants ever smoked a cigarette in them? And if they were smoked in at some point (even years ago), did you suffer health problems as a result?
All I can say is....when I had a "smoking room" at a hotel, it smelled SOOOOO strong of smoke in the walls, carpet, drapes, bed, etc. It smelled as if you took a full ash tray and held it 1/8 inch from your nose. This smell was so strong it could knock you over when you opened the door to the room. I never smelled a home, or apartment, or any public establishment that was even remotely close to the strong smell in that hotel room. I don't know if it is because the hotel room is small or because folks puffed and puffed away in it. But it was horrendous. And it was not the odor that I was worried about, but the poison that was causing the odor.

I actually never went back to that hotel chain, ever again. Not just that location, but all locations.

As far as the folks saying their kids didn't die from third hand smoke. Smoking and related 2nd and 3rd hand smoke doesn't kill you on the spot...or 10 years later. It accumulates over many years. Even then, there is not a 100 percent chance that it will kill you. However, the more you are exposed to the smoking, and the older you get, statistically, you just might have health issues that are directly related to smoking. But you can die from it.

I have had THREE relatives die of lung cancer, all from smoking. All were between the ages of 46-62. All were in otherwise good health other than smoking and getting lung cancer. It's sad to see someone get diagnosed with it, then suffer greatly and wish they could turn back the clock and never have smoked. Then to watch them suffer, deteriorate and die. It doesn't happen to all smokers, but it DOES happen to some of them. One of my relatives commented that she didn't think it would happen to her. It did. I still miss her. She was beautiful and smart and funny and kind and caring. But she smoked a lot and she died of lung cancer.

Yes, I wish smoking was illegal. And I think everyone that smokes is dumb for doing it. No debate or argument is ever gonna sway me. It pains me to see anyone smoking, knowing that what happened to my relatives can easily happen to any smoker. It's a long term game of Russian roulette that some fools choose to play. And they stink and they look stupid smoking. Fools, each and every smoker, IMO. Bigger fools if they have kids, because those kids will suffer greatly in the future if their parent dies from smoking.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-26-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ya think? Cigarette smoke is not that easily contained. It goes everywhere. Plus the room then stinks, and people are careless with cigarettes and let them burn the furniture, sometimes the whole darn room.

Yes, I think. If you don't like the smell of a hotel room, go somewhere else.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Yes, I wish smoking was illegal.
It pratically already is. As I mentioned earlier, the taxes are so huge you could consider them to be not so different from fines.

Should we outlaw alcohol as well? Alcoholism destroys families and drunk driving causes countless fatalities and injuries.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, I think. If you don't like the smell of a hotel room, go somewhere else.
Not so easy if you are with a group of people (a wedding, convention, training event, work trip) and on a group rate. You could be without transportation due to being in the group...and pretty much stuck at that hotel if you want to partake in the events. Plus, another hotel might be full or far away or a much higher price from what you reserved with the group.

I am starting to see "non-smoking" hotels(the entire hotel) in states other than MI and WI. I guess the hotel chains realize that the non-smokers will go elsewhere if they can and there are too few smokers to cater to them over the non-smokers. We already see non-smoking cars in many rental car fleets.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
I propose a nationwide ban on all bans. We shall ban the practice of banning things.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I am starting to see "non-smoking" hotels(the entire hotel) in states other than MI and WI. I guess the hotel chains realize that the non-smokers will go elsewhere if they can and there are too few smokers to cater to them over the non-smokers. We already see non-smoking cars in many rental car fleets.
So you admit that this is all a waste of time. Thank you.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Next they will be claiming smokers shoot demons from their eyes and that we use the blood of non-smoking children to flavor our tobacco.
dont you do those things though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I propose a nationwide ban on all bans. We shall ban the practice of banning things.
agreed. lets ban everyone who wants to ban something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies