Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 05:06 PM

179 posts, read 141,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah, let's just outlaw all bad odors.

You people really don't get it. How shortsighted can you be?
You don't get it. How shortsighted can YOU be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 05:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah, let's just outlaw all bad odors.

You people really don't get it. How shortsighted can you be?
Bad odor? It's poison.

As a non-smoker, I don't want to be placed in a smoking room where the poison has soaked into the walls, the carpet, the drapes, the bedspread. That poison is emitting into the air for all the breathe it in, even if nobody smoked in the room for the past several days.

It's called third hand smoke.
Third-hand smoke: What are the dangers to nonsmokers? - MayoClinic.com

Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Any hotel that requires a deposit of the first night, has a contract to provide that requested room. Either the hotel fulfills this contract or pays punitive charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Your room is reserved but your request may not be available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No they don't... again, if you read the fine print, it clearly says "special requests are NOT guaranteed." That legally releases them from being sued, if you arrive and find your requested room isn't available. They have to provide a room of some sort, but it doesn't have to be the one you wanted. Period.
sorry jojan but you are wrong. if you reserve a room with a king size bed, you can request a non smoking room, but the reservation if for a room with a king size bed, not a non smoking king room.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Bad odor? It's poison.

As a non-smoker, I don't want to be placed in a smoking room where the poison has soaked into the walls, the carpet, the drapes, the bedspread. That poison is emitting into the air for all the breathe it in, even if nobody smoked in the room for the past several days.

If "third hand smoke" is such a mortal danger, why aren't my kids dead yet? Or, my grandkids? Or, great-grandkids? They ALL have grown up crawling around and playing in my house, which must be ankle deep in "third hand smoke" after 40 years of my wife and I smoking 2 packs a day in it.

(sarcasm on) Third hand smoke! Snort! You suckers will believe anything, won't you? (sarcasm off)

Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

If "third hand smoke" is such a mortal danger, why aren't my kids dead yet? Or, my grandkids? Or, great-grandkids? They ALL have grown up crawling around and playing in my house, which must be ankle deep in "third hand smoke" after 40 years of my wife and I smoking 2 packs a day in it.

(sarcasm on) Third hand smoke! Snort! You suckers will believe anything, won't you? (sarcasm off)
I know, right?? Not to mention, if you enter ANY building more than like 20 years old, chances are it's been smoked in at some point... are people dropping dead like flies, and I'm just not noticing it? Sheesh, the paranoia is getting ridiculous.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Bad odor? It's poison.

Sounds like you'll only be happy if smoking is outlawed completely, and all buildings that have ever been smoked inside are demolished. Have you ever rented a home or apartment, or bought a home that wasn't brand new? If so, do you know if any former occupants ever smoked a cigarette in them? And if they were smoked in at some point (even years ago), did you suffer health problems as a result?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I stand corrected!
Haha... no problemo. It doesn't really matter in terms of this discussion, but I figured it might help to know my gender in future debates. That's what I get for choosing a neutral screen name!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sorry jojan but you are wrong. if you reserve a room with a king size bed, you can request a non smoking room, but the reservation if for a room with a king size bed, not a non smoking king room.
If the agreement DOES NOT say anything about non refundable rooms then you have every right to demand a refund if given a smoking room when a non-smoking was requested.

If you used your credit card then you need to dispute the charges and have the credit card company refuse to pay.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And that's really it in a nutshell for many of this type.

Some of course have savior-complexes which cause them to embark on a crusade to restrict the freedoms of others "for their own good." And for others it comes down to "it's all about me and moi rights" not be be inconvienced in any way, nor have to take personal responsibility for their own choices. Instead, they will use the heavy-hand of government to restrict the private property rights of others in order to accomadate their personal likes and dislikes.
Exactly. If they really cared about the health of smokers, they'd be pushing for better education on the dangers of smoking, and/or outlawing it altogether. But they only care about being inconvenienced or annoyed, when it really comes down to it. They also can't claim to be looking out for their own health, when we all know staying at a hotel with smokers won't kill you - and while they ignore other things that actually do put their health and well-being at risk.

Quote:
Of course, many of this ilk are just totally shocked when the "health-police" come after their preferences as well. Never seeing the big picture and the connections. Bu..bu...but...fat food or wearing too much perfume in businesses isnt the same as smoking...
Oh man, did you see the uproar when San Francisco put restrictions on Happy Meals at McDonald's? Many people thought Happy Meals were being banned altogether (they were only banning the toys), and that was just unacceptable!! How DARE they take away our right to clog our arteries with fast food? Isn't that the individual's decision to make? Well, yes it is... just as it's my right to damage my lungs with smoke, as long as I'm not blowing it in your face - which I never do.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the agreement DOES NOT say anything about non refundable rooms then you have every right to demand a refund if given a smoking room when a non-smoking was requested.

If you used your credit card then you need to dispute the charges and have the credit card company refuse to pay.
Not if it says "special requests are not guaranteed" right in the reservation agreement... sorry, but it's not their fault if you fail to read the fine print!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies