Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 01:33 AM

298 posts, read 389,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Where my freedom begins, yours ends. If you want to smoke and kill yourself, be my guest. I don't need to be subjected to pollutants in my room that I am PAYING for.
Then ask for a non-smoking room, this isn't difficult
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what you guys still dont get is that it costs money to deep clean a room to meet non smoking room standards, and that it is very difficult to pass those costs on to everyone in an industry as competitive as the hotel industry. even if hotel owners were the only ones making the decisions, that doesnt change the cost structure. sorry if you dont like it but that is the way things are.

as for hoping that a hotel as more than one vacancy at any given time, hotel owners try to fill every room every night as best they can, because they can maximize revenues. if a hotel room is empty, the cost of that room does not go away, but rather it drags down the revenue of the other rooms. its like a supermarket having to throw out milk when they go past their freshness date. the supermarket still has to bear the cost of the milk they tossed out.
Dude, I hear you, I just don't care. If it's so freakin horrible then the hotel owners will not allow it. If not, that's their choice, not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Where my freedom begins, yours ends. If you want to smoke and kill yourself, be my guest. I don't need to be subjected to pollutants in my room that I am PAYING for.
Then why did you pay for it? Who forced you to go inside? That's your problem, not mine.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 AM

858 posts, read 708,173 times
Did anyone on this thread ask yet why the smoker can't go outside? I don't understand why that's so hard. You get to smoke and you don't make life miserable for everyone else. It's called courtesy. I remember visiting my grandfather back in the 90's and his apartment building allowed smoking. You got off the elevator and there was a haze in the hallways from everyone smoking in their apartments. It also reaked of cigarettes and I couldn't wait to leave. I completely understand why it's a law to stop smoking in hotels because of that experience.

Also, from the comments of smokers on here, they don't seem to care about affecting the health and general well being of their fellow citizens. Again, that comes with courtesy and I guess some smokers don't have that. I think that's what it basically comes down to. Laws like this are enacted because people don't do what they should be doing anyway. If hotels and other citizens saw smokers going outside or sitting on their balcony smoking all the time then I'm sure there wouldn't have been a push for this law.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Then ask for a non-smoking room, this isn't difficult
We've done that, and gotten rooms that reeked of stale smoke from non-compliant smokers. Nothing like sleeping in an ashtray to make you feel rested.

I don't think people should be forced to quit smoking, but I do think that they should be provided a place to smoke where non-smokers won't be, as much as is feasible.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Did anyone on this thread ask yet why the smoker can't go outside?
Some claimed it was "inconvenient".

Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
If smokers are not free to have the rest of us breath their cancerous smoke, is anyone truely free?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:04 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Some claimed it was "inconvenient".
It isn't that inconvenient, but why should a private business have to cater to what non-smoking customers want over what those customers who choose to smoke want? Shouldn't it be their choice?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
If it's so freakin horrible then the hotel owners will not allow it.
And, nowadays, most don't regardless of any laws.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin have banned smoking in hotels. This happened last year. Jennifer Granholm is an anti-freedom slob and a left wing zealot. It's no wonder that Michigan elected a Republican this time for Governor.

My wife and I recently went on vacation down south. Coming back north we discovered that we couldn't get a smoking room at any hotel in WI or MI.

Why would these states discourage tourism? Tourism is one of Michigan's biggest industries. It's stupid.

If someone smokes in a hotel room -- IT WILL NOT KILL THE FAMILY IN THE NEXT ROOM. Get it Democrats?

Why is it that whenever LIBERALS are in charge ..... AMERICANS lose their FREEDOM?
Really? Ask the fire department how many fires are started by idiots who fall asleep while smoking in bed.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Really? Ask the fire department how many fires are started by idiots who fall asleep while smoking in bed.
Yes, it happens, so should we pass a law to prohibit people from smoking in their homes as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies