Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times

Advertisements

I smoke, and I really don't mind trying to be considerate of others dislike for it. But what is so maddening is that while I try to be considerate usually all you get from the other side is condescension. The same thing is happening in other parts of our life too... we spend a lot of times in RV parks, obviously. We are now coming across RV parks that won't let us stay because they are getting complaints that some of their patrons don't like pets, so they have become pet-free. How long will it be before some group pushes anti-pet regulations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Good. Smoking is disgusting and smoking in hotel rooms permanently damages the rooms since the smoke seeps into everything.

I've lived in a state with an indoor smoking ban for years and of course people bitched about it before it was enacted. Guess what, 10 years later people totally forget that there is an indoor smoking ban in place because they are used to it and now prefer it.

The whole argument that smoking bans will hurt a business or that business will go elsewhere has been proven to be false over and over and over and over again. People didn't go to the burbs or flee the city of Philadelphia to go to the bars once Philly enacted a smoking ban. Business stayed the same.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
Who cares if it damages the room if the only person to stay there in the future is another smoker? The owner can adjust the rate to cover costs.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 AM

For all those in favor of this bill are you also in favor of banning abortion? How about gay marriage?
See both sides are the same. Then there is a group of us in the middle who dont want to run , change , control your lives.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the hotel industry has been pushing more non smoking rooms since the late 70s, before any regulations were put in place, because many of their guests wanted them.
Exactly, so why do we need these laws?

Quote:
the government is just stepping in as a johnny come lately and requiring a certain percentage of hotel rooms be non smoking.
No, in some cases they are not only requiring a certain percentage of hotel rooms to be non-smoking, they are requiring that ALL rooms be non-smoking.

Quote:
and by the way, while i am a non smoker myself, my mother smokes, as does a friend of mine, and i have no issues with them, or other people, smoking.
Yeah right.

Do you agree or disagree with the other anti-smoking poster who said that only "low class" people smoke?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
There's just no point in arguing with these anti smoking tyrants. They're right, smoking is bad, end of story, you must conform. Hypocrites.
They are right - smoking is terrible for you and secondhand smoke is pretty bad as well. That's why it's so hard to argue with them. What they seem to miss is that this isn't about smoking at all but about freedom and about the ability to make decisions for ourselves. They're really saying that they are scared of freedom and of having to make their own choices.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're right, it's not a liberal/conservative issue. Because of the unrelenting, never-ending efforts of the smoke-Nazi's, it's now become a Civil Rights issue.
It's ironic that so many of these people are for marijuana legalization because they think it's their "right" to smoke pot. The reality is they've actually pretty much made smoking illegal, as I pointed out earlier. I don't see a real difference between the huge taxes and fines.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,990,344 times
Michigan Governor - REPUBLICAN

Michigan House - REPUBLICAN

Michigan Senate - REPUBLICAN

Wisconsin Governor - REPUBLICAN

Wisconsin House - REPUBLICAN

Wisconsin Senate - REPUBLICAN

So what you're saying is, it's the fault of Democrats that Republicans, in full control of Michigan and Wisconsin since January 2011, haven't repealed the ban on smoking in hotel rooms.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Who cares if it damages the room if the only person to stay there in the future is another smoker? The owner can adjust the rate to cover costs.
yeah right. you have obviously never worked in the hotel business, owned or operated a business yourself, or owned or operated rental property. just because a hotel room is not labeled non smoking, doesnt mean that only smokers use that room. and if a hotel raises their room rates, business tends to go to other properties where the rates are lower. as i said hotels operate on thin profit margins to begin with, so anytime costs increase it hurts the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yeah right.

Do you agree or disagree with the other anti-smoking poster who said that only "low class" people smoke?
what does it matter what i think, i am NOT anti smoking, i am just a non smoker.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Actualy I do own a business. Why would a non smoker go to a smoking room if he can go to a non smoking hotel accross the street? Same with restaurants and bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies