Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No. I seriously doubt if there's any hotel owner out there who likes having people smoke in his/her hotel rooms because it does ruin the room. By banning it everywhere, it levels the playing field. No hotel owner has to worry about losing business to other hotels if it's banned outright.

And seriously, what are people thinking, wanting to smoke indoors? I haven't seen a lit cigarette indoors since the '90s Smokers need to get over it. Smoke in your own home, car, or outside. I support your right to smoke, but it's such a filthy habit, it should be banned in all public buildings or buildings where the public has access.

What if someone wanted to open a hotel that only catered to smokers? Non smokers are free to spend their money elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Should a restaurant be able to serve food that makes people sick? .
How is this an argument? If the restaurant makes you fully aware that their food is going to make you sick is there really anyone to blame but yourself if you eat it?

Quote:
Or discriminate against certain groups?
Try going to an exclusive club/restaurant and see how far you make it past the front door. While you cannot discriminate based on color, religion etc if the person who owns the place doesn't want to let you in you're not getting in and there isn;t a damn thing you can do about it.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
The fact that hotels are nonsmoking dosnt realy bother me at all. The fact that some many people are ok with the gvmt telling people how to run their businesses is damn near frightening.

Oooo... that dang old gub'ment! Telling people they have to package food without salmonella, inform people of how much sugar, fat and sodium they put in their food, telling us that we have to stop at stop lights, not allowing me to drive 110 on the freeway, not allowing me to burn tires in my back yard all day...dang! I have no rights in this country!

Maybe if people have an issue living in a civilized society, which will always include abiding by rules and laws, they could go find an island without all the amenities offered by civilized society where they had no one to answer to.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So should we ban drinking in hotels?
Why should we? It doesn't smell up the place and ruin walls and fabrics. If you can't see the difference between smoking and drinking, then I can't help you understand.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
telling us that we have to stop at stop lights, not allowing me to drive 110 on the freeway
The government built and maintained the roads and everyone has to use the roads to go about their lives. Everyone does NOT have to patronize hotels where there are smoking rooms and, even if they do, they can request a non-smoking room.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How is this an argument? If the restaurant makes you fully aware that their food is going to make you sick is there really anyone to blame but yourself if you eat it?

Try going to an exclusive club/restaurant and see how far you make it past the front door. While you cannot discriminate based on color, religion etc if the person who owns the place doesn't want to let you in you're not getting in and there isn;t a damn thing you can do about it.

That's a false argument. No restaurant or food provider is going to advertise that they're selling food contaminated with salmonella since no one would buy it. They'd never make a penny. The reason we have laws dictating food preparation, kitchen needs, packaging processes, etc. is because people will cut corners to save money. Then people get sick or die.

If you can prove that you were denied access to a restaurant for being a certain color, religion, gay, etc., you can certainly sue them.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Sorry, but you can't blame this change in the law on liberals. It's good a business position to take. More people ask to have their rooms changed after checking in because the rooms they were assigned smell bad than there are smokers who check in. It also costs the hotels and motels more money to maintain a room where smokers are because they have to dry clean the drapery and bed spreads more often, not to mention they have to paint more often and replace furniture and counter tops with burn marks more often. The hotels and motels can have a smoker's lounge where smokers can go and the management has a chance to sell them snacks and drinks while they smoke and their insurance rates go down. The law is good for their business.
If something is good for business, then why does a law need to exist to require the business to do it?

Why can't a business that isn't making good business decisions simply suffer the natural consequences and change its policies on its own?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
Quote:
Why should we? It doesn't smell up the place and ruin walls and fabrics. If you can't see the difference between smoking and drinking, then I can't help you understand.
Sure it does. Spilled beer smells horible . And again a non smoker can patronize a nonsmoking hotel. Why take that choice away from the consumer?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The government built and maintained the roads and everyone has to use the roads to go about their lives. Everyone does NOT have to patronize hotels where there are smoking rooms and, even if they do, they can request a non-smoking room.
I've been to hotels in the past (years ago) where they asked you if you preferred smoking on non and had no issue with it. I'm guessing that it's most likely the hotel owners who like the ban so they don't have to deal with the smelly rooms.

Again, smokers are on the losing end of this battle. Smoking rates are going down, down, down. Where I live, it's almost exclusively very low class people who I see smoking, and even that's not very common.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Sure it does. Spilled beer smells horible . And again a non smoker can patronize a nonsmoking hotel. Why take that choice away from the consumer?
lol! You're really grasping at straws now. I always know when a smoking supporter is losing the argument. They try to equate the smell of alcoholic drinks to smoke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies