Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not a false argument at all because you're trying to compare this to smoking in which case it's fully known to you that the establishment allows smoking......

So what you're saying is you could make this decision where food is concerned but need government assistance to make this decision for you where smoking is concerned? Why is that?
No, I want the government to regulate food production and restaurants so I don't have to worry about dying from food poisoning. I want the government to regulate where people can smoke so I don't have to smell it when I go to the mall, grocery store, a restaurant, a hospital, etc. I remember as a little kid going into hospitals where people were smoking in elevators! It took government regulation to get to where we are today.

I think the real issue is all the "Ron Paul lovers" out there who can't deal with anyone telling them how or what to do, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm against a lot of other regulations as well...
Regulations can be bad. And they can be good. Good regulation could have prevented the housing bubble/financial implosion that put us where we are today.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think the real issue is all the "Ron Paul lovers" out there who can't deal with anyone telling them how or what to do, ever.

You would be correct in that assumption. Thats is one of the reasons I live where I live. Because the state treats me as an adult fully cpable of making my own decisions.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,263,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin have banned smoking in hotels. This happened last year. Jennifer Granholm is an anti-freedom slob and a left wing zealot. It's no wonder that Michigan elected a Republican this time for Governor.

My wife and I recently went on vacation down south. Coming back north we discovered that we couldn't get a smoking room at any hotel in WI or MI.

Why would these states discourage tourism? Tourism is one of Michigan's biggest industries. It's stupid.

If someone smokes in a hotel room -- IT WILL NOT KILL THE FAMILY IN THE NEXT ROOM. Get it Democrats?

Why is it that whenever LIBERALS are in charge ..... AMERICANS lose their FREEDOM?
Oh no. Now I can't spread second hand smoke and leave my stench behind, and fall asleep with my butt causing the hotel to burn down. Why do these mean people need clean air anyway? Why do I have to walk all two steps outside to smoke? It's not fair! Typical conservative. I would have left out that last sentence but you had to irrationally blame all liberals for preventng of spreading your disgusting stench indoors. Well, I have one word for you: TOUGH! Smoke in your own G** D*** house.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
No, I want the government to regulate food production and restaurants so I don't have to worry about dying from food poisoning. I want the government to regulate where people can smoke so I don't have to smell it when I go to the mall, grocery store, a restaurant, a hospital, etc. I remember as a little kid going into hospitals where people were smoking in elevators! It took government regulation to get to where we are today.

In most places where smoking is not prohibited by a smoking ban, you still won't find people smoking in most malls, grocery stores, restaurants, or hospitals in this day and age. Most private businesses do not allow it.

It didn't take government regulation to get to where we are today, it took learning about the dangers of smoking and secondhand smoke.

I am not a "Ron Paul lover," but really, why do I need to be told what to do when it comes to something that's only hurting myself or those who CHOOSE to breathe in secondhand smoke?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Regulations can be bad. And they can be good. Good regulation could have prevented the housing bubble/financial implosion that put us where we are today.
Higher interest rates and not giving out a lot of subprime mortgages could have as well, but that's a very different topic.

And, FWIW, I'm not 100% anti-regulation.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-21-2011 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
This has been one of my pet-peeves for years. Shouldn't the owner of an establishment get to decide whether it wants to be smoking or non-smoking? Then each customer could choose whether or not to patronize the business...
I am a smoker and most of FL is smoke free. The places that allow smoking aren't that nice or should I say most are dumpy that I have noticed.

To OP why is it a liberal thing?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I am a smoker and most of FL is smoke free. The places that allow smoking aren't that nice or should I say most are dumpy that I have noticed.

To OP why is it a liberal thing?
It's a liberal thing because it is telling us that, as adults, we are not capable of making our own decisions and need nanny government to do it for us. It's a liberal thing because it's pro-business regulation and anti-free market.

BTW, I am also a smoker and I share the same observation. Places that allow smoking aren't very nice and are quite dumpy. I don't like to go to places where smoking is allowed.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
or those who CHOOSE to breathe in secondhand smoke?
lol! Yes, there are so many people who follow smokers around because the love second-hand smoke and CHOOSE to breathe it

Smokers used to be able to smoke in hospitals, offices, malls, grocery stores, and non-smokers (the majority of people) didn't like it. It took an act of Congress to get cigarette ads off TV and regulation to get second hand smoke out of buildings open to the public.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
lol! Yes, there are so many people who follow smokers around because the love second-hand smoke and CHOOSE to breathe it
They choose to go to places where smoking is allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies