Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It ain't similar, it's the same... Now with regards to Cajun and Creole, those are brothers of a different mother.
Yea...black mother, French-Spanish father. Or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Elitist newspaper calls southern food "undignified"

Because "dignity" is what I'm going for when I eat...not.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Epcot.lol. olive garden and carabba's...cheap chains.

NYC is diverse and as a food culture...Indian, Thai, Chinese, kosher, French, Russian, etc....

And plus most of you have to admit a place called gregs pizza in tennessee that serves an italian dinner with "red sauce" is way lame.

The restaurants are limited to boring chains in most parts of the south, unless you are lucky to be in Florida, New Orleans, or a coastal area which has seafood.

Tenn. has "Long John Silver's". lol
The south is chain restaurant heaven. They love that stuff. I remember going to Dallas to visit an old friend, and he and his wife took us to Applebee's....an absolute abomination. Who in the hell would do something like that? I mean, he's from Keller, a burb outside of Dallas so i dismissed it, but NO ONE in NYC, SanFran, Chicago, Detroit, or Philly would ever do something like that. These fools out in the Southwest are nearly as bad. When i'm in the Detroit area, i don't even notice those places. Out here, they're all the rage.

I realize that there are a few places in the South where such an experience wouldn't have happened. No one in my family in Louisiana would commit a crime like that. Applebees? Good lord. I don't even know how those places stay in business.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:16 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I'm a Western Pennsylvania/Ohio border transplant, but I've been down south to visit relatives many times. Gimme fried catfish, hushpuppies and Mississippi mud pie any time over the pierogi and kielbassa folks love here. I never did acquire a taste for it. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch myself, born and bred. Ach now, THAT'S gut fressin'!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've never understood food snobbery. It's all subjective and a matter of personal taste.
I never understood the whole thing about being snobbish over what you eat.

It all comes out the same place in the end and pretty much smells like sh*t.

I think the many posters who use the "who has the most chain resautants and sophisticated palates" to bolster their North vs South/South vs North sense of superiority is proof that many Americans have it waaaay to good.

Last edited by doc1; 12-29-2011 at 04:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 AM

521 posts, read 467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The south is chain restaurant heaven. They love that stuff. I remember going to Dallas to visit an old friend, and he and his wife took us to Applebee's....an absolute abomination. Who in the hell would do something like that? I mean, he's from Keller, a burb outside of Dallas so i dismissed it, but NO ONE in NYC, SanFran, Chicago, Detroit, or Philly would ever do something like that. These fools out in the Southwest are nearly as bad. When i'm in the Detroit area, i don't even notice those places. Out here, they're all the rage.

I realize that there are a few places in the South where such an experience wouldn't have happened. No one in my family in Louisiana would commit a crime like that. Applebees? Good lord. I don't even know how those places stay in business.
^snob right there.

There's nothing wrong with Applebees. It's not hoity-toity but it's a great place to go with the family.
Some folks should be thankful that they can afford their superior attitude.

Last edited by Brian Scates; 12-29-2011 at 04:51 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I read the entire original article and I didn't see the same thing FOX news nor yourself saw. Here in south Louisiana we still buy and use syrup made from sugar cane, a local brand called Steens. It makes a great flavor cake, cookies, and pancake/biscuit topping. There's been a recent movement towards locally grown crawfish and shrimp because of the large number coming from parts of Asia, including China. This means local jobs for local fishermen. I hate Okra but it's a local staple crop among home gardens along with tomatoes, cucumbers, figs, pears, and berries among other foods. In some fine local restaurants, a poor man's desert (bread pudding) is raised up several notches with rum and spices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Could it be any other newspaper but The New York Times? --no--

NYT: Southern Food is Undignified | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Hipsters vs normal people:

In New York City, they eat boiled animal tongues. In the South we use our tongues for licking our fingers.

Southerners eat buttermilk biscuits and sip frosty glasses of sweet tea. New Yorkers nosh bagels and drink seltzer water.

New Yorkers eat fermented soy and tuna tartar – while folks in Tennessee eat fried catfish – with tarter sauce.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Do ya have red lobsters ( dead lobster) out that way? THey tried new england not realizing anyone living within 300 miles of georges bank has no desire to eat frozen alaskan pollock.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
There are some southern foods that aren't deep fat fried. It all depends on the restaurant. Some local favorites included blackened red fish, boiled crawfish, crawfish or shrimp etouffee, red beans and rice, bread pudding, and grits. Grits by themselves aren't all that great. But grits make a great blank palate on which to build a meal much like people do with polenta or rice. Many years ago Cajun families would hide their boiled crawfish in shame. Today it's eaten in other parts of the country and outside USA. Yes, chain restaurants are all over the place but locally owned restaurants are still around, though harder to find. They just don't have the financial capital to buy or lease space in the high traffic areas where the big chain restaurants are located. We do have a community of asians (like India and Korea for example) who've opened restaurants here. Our local diet consisting of rice and seafood helps. I haven't eaten in an Olive Garden in more than two decades. I lived in Italy for two years so I'm highly jaded towards American version of Italian foods. I found a few family owned Italian restaurants locally. Food is very good. Problem is they're lacking the capital to advertise on the level of the chain restaurants.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well yes,you can get all sorts of food almost everywhere,including southern style,but it is STILL Southern.

NYC doesn't really have the same.

When a food is FROM an area,it is then that cuisine.

NYC has a lot of other regions and nations cuisines,simply because it has a lot of people from other regions and cuisines.
So what you are really saying is that the northern States have no cuisine of their own, they just assimilate the cuisine from other areas and other countries.

There is nothing distinctive about any of the food, or they way it is prepared, in the northern States. Therefore, there is no comparison between the southern States and the north. The southern States have a distinctive cuisine, northern States do not. Northern States merely copy and imitate everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies