Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Do our discussions educate and enlighten you? Or do they make us look like an uncivilized people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
I must admit being quite shocked and a little puzzled at the puerile and vicious nature of Political debate both on this forum but also in American Political life.

In fact I would argue there is no political debate but only mud slinging, and personal attacks. I see very little in terms of real facts, statistics and issues being debated in a mature, intelligent way with knowledge of the issues and a genuine desire to move forward. It all seems to be about personality and personal attacks pretty much.

Which is why I bowed out of this forum more or less. I find the whole thing childish and churlish and the level and tone of so called "discussions" feels more like a boxing match than a reasoned dialogue. Which means that until this ceases there will never be a way forward towards proper constructive measures who whatever issues ail the country. It is bad enough in most of Europe but America takes politics to a new low and really does scrape the bottom of the barrel pandering to the lowest common denominator when it comes to politics.

I don't get the feeling a lot of Americans are interested in current affairs, social and economic issues or politics at all but only in trying to score cheap point on petty issues rather than trying to face serious big ones in the face and trying to find a solution. It feels more like a playground both in real politics and the online debates.

A sort of "nah, nah, nah,nah"... Utterly pointless , intellectually disingenuous and totally counter-productive. I often feel I am looking at 3 year olds throwing their own faeces at the opposition.

We are all in a mess but if all we can come up with is stupid personal attacks then there really is no hope at all.

Politics has to be at some level about some consensus, on some issues and genuine belief and concern for progress.

It sounds more like people are willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces in the public arena and private debates too.

There is no dialogue only a shouting match and the one who screams the loudest seems to win. It truly is heartbreaking. Sounds more like petulant toddlers behaviour than adults trying to make a positive difference and effect forward changes for the population at large.

Politics is something which affects us ALL and I will never understand how much disrespect people afford it and how the democratic process we are lucky enough to have compared to so many other Nations is so badly abused and betrayed by petty self concerns.

The one thing which shocks me most about the American Political process though is how corrupted it is when it comes to Lobbyists. Their influence is quite frankly dangerous, nauseating and to me utterly unacceptable.

And I also find it bizarre that personality and looks seem to count more than gravitas, education , intelligence, knowledge, and probity.

It seems you will find it hard to be elected President unless you wear a little flag and make a show of your "Christianity" for example.

Also the sums required to win an Election in the US are absurd and obscene. A candidate should be able to stand whether he has billions or not a penny to his name , simply on the issues and his/her policies towards them.

Believe me it is bad enough in Europe and I know that ( one only has to look at a Buffoon like Berlusconi ) but America seems to take to a different level.

American Politics to me don't seem to be entirely about progress but about scoring points and that baffles me. And yes I do find it quite uncivilised. And it rather defeats the purpose of Politics which is not about self interest, petty scores to settle or personality wars but about issues which affect the people and how to best deal with a problem and find a long term solution. Politics is such an important topic and it is demeaned and dragged into the mud by both politicians and many people. Sullied by a lack of genuine interest.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,720 times
There are numerous non americans that think we're a joke, or that there is something wrong with us. There are a lot of people that cannot understand why we're arguing about giving everyone heathcare. It would be debatable if we were a poor country, but the richest and most powerful country in the world doesn't care about helping its citizens? That's asinine and really shows how bad Americans and American politics are.

Every developed country has a crazy conservative that no one likes, but the united states has too many politicians like this and too many citizens like this. They laugh at the fact that we have a majority that believes 2000 year old fables and use that to determine politics as well.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 AM

24 posts, read 17,801 times
I don't really care about what a bunch of morons who live under false freedom and are granted only privileges by their government think given that they are perfectly fine with only having privileges. As soon as they understand that the only function of government is to oppress behavior then I will start listening to them; however, the current view that healthcare is a right by promising the population the productivity of health care workers for free is dangerous because in order to fulfill the promise they also must promise to place health care workers in forced labor if the government can't pay for it. I think these ideas are dangerous and as soon as the wrong person is in charge this will be exploited to the max and Europe will have its next Hitler. Remember that Europe has been the most savage and bloody region of the world for centuries while the US is the worlds most stable region. They should seek advise from us and not the other way around. As soon as they want to become truely responsible and autonomous adults that don't have to beg the government for a permission slip in order to practice a right, they can move to the US.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
There are numerous non americans that think we're a joke, or that there is something wrong with us. There are a lot of people that cannot understand why we're arguing about giving everyone heathcare. It would be debatable if we were a poor country, but the richest and most powerful country in the world doesn't care about helping its citizens? That's asinine and really shows how bad Americans and American politics are.
You think that it is perfectly acceptable to summarize the enormously complex issue of providing healthcare for over 300 million people to a soundbite of "but the richest and most powerful country in the world doesn't care about helping its citizens?"

That is an incredibly unintelligent argument.

Quote:
Every developed country has a crazy conservative that no one likes, but the united states has too many politicians like this and too many citizens like this. They laugh at the fact that we have a majority that believes 2000 year old fables and use that to determine politics as well.
The vast majority of human beings believe in a deity. And that includes those human beings that you claim are are laughing at us.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
I remember sitting in a bar in Wisconsin in the early 1980s, talking politcis over a beer. There was a foreign guy there, I don't remember where he was from anymore. But I remember we asked him about some things. How did things work in his country, was it true what the politicans said?

Turned out it wasn't true what the politicans said. We believed him. Not the slick Washington guys in their suits. And thats changed.

I thought with the internet, it would become harder for politicans to lie. Now everyone could just log on, and get the real deal. Form scientists, farm workers, engineers and nurses. In many countries. That didn't happen. Instead, in America, it seems like people have retreated from the information, and prefer to believe the lawyers in DC. Instead of "don't know", its become "don't want to know".

The star example is the healthcare debate. Nobel-prize winning economists showed in the 1970s that heathcare is not well suited to market delivery. Americans who have lived in Europe say that health care in Europe is pretty damn good. Europeans say it works. Real-world results show it works. If someone doesn't get care, it makes headlines, and ministers are distressed. In spite of this -many Americans prefer to believe the politicans.

(Granted, many Europeans have difficulty wrapping their heads around the concept that not having health care is a relistic worry in America)

Political debate in America resembles nothing more than European football supporters debating the merits of their respective teams, neither willing to admit the opposition an inch,

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I must admit being quite shocked and a little puzzled at the puerile and vicious nature of Political debate both on this forum but also in American Political life. In fact I would argue there is no political debate but only mud slinging, and personal attacks. I see very little in terms of real facts, statistics and issues being debated in a mature, intelligent way with knowledge of the issues and a genuine desire to move forward. It all seems to be about personality and personal attacks pretty much. Which is why I bowed out of this forum more or less. I find the whole thing childish and churlish and the level and tone of so called "discussions" feels more like a boxing match than a reasoned dialogue. Which means that until this ceases there will never be a way forward towards proper constructive measures who whatever issues ail the country. It is bad enough in most of Europe but America takes politics to a new low and really does scrape the bottom of the barrel pandering to the lowest common denominator when it comes to politics. I don't get the feeling a lot of Americans are interested in current affairs, social and economic issues or politics at all but only in trying to score cheap point on petty issues rather than trying to face serious big ones in the face and trying to find a solution. It feels more like a playground both in real politics and the online debates. A sort of "nah, nah, nah,nah"... Utterly pointless , intellectually disingenuous and totally counter-productive. I often feel I am looking at 3 year olds throwing their own faeces at the opposition. We are all in a mess but if all we can come up with is stupid personal attacks then there really is no hope at all. Politics has to be at some level about some consensus, on some issues and genuine belief and concern for progress. It sounds more like people are willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces in the public arena and private debates too. There is no dialogue only a shouting match and the one who screams the loudest seems to win. It truly is heartbreaking. Sounds more like petulant toddlers behaviour than adults trying to make a positive difference and effect forward changes for the population at large. Politics is something which affects us ALL and I will never understand how much disrespect people afford it and how the democratic process we are lucky enough to have compared to so many other Nations is so badly abused and betrayed by petty self concerns. The one thing which shocks me most about the American Political process though is how corrupted it is when it comes to Lobbyists. Their influence is quite frankly dangerous, nauseating and to me utterly unacceptable. And I also find it bizarre that personality and looks seem to count more than gravitas, education , intelligence, knowledge, and probity. It seems you will find it hard to be elected President unless you wear a little flag and make a show of your "Christianity" for example. Also the sums required to win an Election in the US are absurd and obscene. A candidate should be able to stand whether he has billions or not a penny to his name , simply on the issues and his/her policies towards them. Believe me it is bad enough in Europe and I know that ( one only has to look at a Buffoon like Berlusconi ) but America seems to take to a different level. American Politics to me don't seem to be entirely about progress but about scoring points and that baffles me. And yes I do find it quite uncivilised. And it rather defeats the purpose of Politics which is not about self interest, petty scores to settle or personality wars but about issues which affect the people and how to best deal with a problem and find a long term solution. Politics is such an important topic and it is demeaned and dragged into the mud by both politicians and many people. Sullied by a lack of genuine interest.
Whatever. We can beat you in a war. In fact, we have.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM

266 posts, read 180,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do our discussions educate and enlighten you? Or do they make us look like an uncivilized people?
Europeans think American politics is a comedy show without any substance. Most of our politicians would have to look for new employment in Europe after their first speech.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I find the extremist religious right influence in the GOP really scary.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I find the extremist religious right influence in the GOP really scary.
I find the extremist Left in the democrat party every bit as scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies