Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,544,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Reading comprehension is the key. I was replying to your posts.

The point is this......YOU are the author of your fate.

Who's responsibility are someone else's kids?

It really sucks that so many people are suffering. Many are one or two paychecks away from problems.

Government cannot and should not be responsible for every problem of every person.

You lefties seem to think that the government is there to save everyone from everything.

Your replies have nothing to do with my posts, they make no sense.

When a corporation is given corporate welfare (taxpayer money) for poor business decisions it is called a bailout, and is accepted...... when a citizen needs assistance it is called welfare. It's ok for the gubment to bail out the 1% but lord forbid they help the citizens of this nation. There is something terribly wrong with that logic and I do not and will not buy into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,877,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I didn't care for the title of the article. I've eaten at Ruth Chris and I'm far from rich. So his job is cooking steaks whose fault is that?
His job should provide health insurance for his family. Or Americans should have national health insurance. That's the source of their primary problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Tip better.
No one should be forced to beg for tips in order to go see a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Seriously?? So I should feel badly and not eat out or do anything else for that matter because the person may have fallen on hard times. Should I ask every person I pay for a service if they have financial issues? Ok so next time you go and get gas be sure to ask the attendant and the clerk at the grocery store and the toll booth operator and don't forget the mailman, UPS and every other person you come in contact with every freakin day? Maybe some of her 5 GROWN children should help out.
Or we could just have national health insurance like every other country. No one should work and not be able to feed themselves or see a doctor if sick.

The contempt for two hard working human beings in this thread is just very sad.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,214,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Your replies have nothing to do with my posts, they make no sense.

When a corporation is given corporate welfare (taxpayer money) for poor business decisions it is called a bailout, and is accepted...... when a citizen needs assistance it is called welfare. It's ok for the gubment to bail out the 1% but lord forbid they help the citizens of this nation. There is something terribly wrong with that logic and I do not and will not buy into it.
Which bailout are you calling "corporate welfare"? Are you referring to TARP?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Which bailout are you calling "corporate welfare"? Are you referring to TARP?
TARP was corporate welfare, but I was speaking of this unknown (until recently) little package of corporate welfare.

Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks $13 Billion Undisclosed to Congress - Bloomberg

Old 01-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
TARP was corporate welfare, but I was speaking of this unknown (until recently) little package of corporate welfare.

I'm all for a TARP style bailout for the individual. How would the valuation of individual work though? We would have to break up the individuals into "personal bonds" which are then purchased by the government. The government can then collect coupon payments on these bonds if the individual doesn't want to buy them back. Or the individual can buy them back at a premium just like the banks did. The question is, however, how can the government retaliate if the individual fails to pay the coupons or buy back the bonds? You can't terminate an individual and sell it's assets.... or can you?

Loans will only work if they can be collateralized with assets.

The issue with welfare is that the money is never paid back. Not the case with a loan or TARP.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,102,713 times
Quote:

That's a huge part of why a freaking steak cost's $44.00

The same ones that ***** and moan about "class warefare" are fully in support of endless spending, borrowing and printing of $$$ and think there will be no consequences

They think that's what we need to do because some Kenyan "economist" in the NY Times named Krugman said so

Well you can keep doing the same crap that got ya here or you can think and use a little common sense...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM

How do you figure welfare is "never" paid back? While not paidback in the traditional sense (and not on the same scale) it is paid back....via taxes. Another reason why shopping small and local is most important. More money stays in the community. When you shop big box, more and more money is removed from the community which will eventually bankrupt said community..which is exactly where we are today.

Quote:
I'm all for a TARP style bailout for the individual. How would the valuation of individual work though? We would have to break up the individuals into "personal bonds" which are then purchased by the government. The government can then collect coupon payments on these bonds if the individual doesn't want to buy them back. Or the individual can buy them back at a premium just like the banks did. The question is, however, how can the government retaliate if the individual fails to pay the coupons or buy back the bonds? You can't terminate an individual and sell it's assets.... or can you?

Loans will only work if they can be collateralized with assets.

The issue with welfare is that the money is never paid back. Not the case with a loan or TARP.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Hw do you figure welfare is "never" paid back? While not paidback in the traditional sense (and not on the same scale) it is paid back....via taxes. Another reason why shopping small and local is most important. More money stays in the community. When you shop big box, more and more money is removed from the community which will eventually bankrupt said community..which is exactly where we are today.
Simply because paying taxes does not equal paying back a debt. When the government gives out a loan, the note is recorded as an asset. In order to remove the note from the books, the note needs to be transferred to the borrower or to another entity who will take over the loan. Revenue via taxes does nothing to transfer the note. Revenue is ordinary income.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Simply because paying taxes does not equal paying back a debt. When the government gives out a loan, the note is recorded as an asset. In order to remove the note from the books, the note needs to be transferred to the borrower or to another entity who will take over the loan. Revenue via taxes does nothing to transfer the note. Revenue is ordinary income.
Oh ok...you want to use THAT math? We see what that has gotten us.

And of note: that secret bailout hand no strings.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Oh ok...you want to use THAT math? We see what that has gotten us.

And of note: that secret bailout hand no strings.
You want to challenge thousands of years worth of accounting? The US made lots of mistakes. Accounting 101 is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies