Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

Photo ID's aren't free. It costs money to buy them.

There are some people who either have to decide, buy bread and milk, or get a photo ID so I can vote?

Now, it isn't fair to them. If the government issued every registered voter a FREE voter ID card, then I wouldn't oppose it then.

In essence, its a poll tax. They already do this with automobiles. You can spend 30,000 dollars on a car. But if you don't pay taxes, then tags each year, and a drivers license that costs more money, you can't drive on the roads that the public owns.

Its big government intervention in a simple problem. Very few people vote without ID, most people have ID. Its a minimal number, and not enough to warrant the response many are suggesting, preventing your right to vote without paying the state money.

Poll tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

There are some people who either have to decide, buy bread and milk, or get a photo ID so I can vote?

Now, it isn't fair to them. If the government issued every registered voter a FREE voter ID card, then I wouldn't oppose it then.

In essence, its a poll tax. They already do this with automobiles. You can spend 30,000 dollars on a car. But if you don't pay taxes, then tags each year, and a drivers license that costs more money, you can't drive on the roads that the public owns.

Its big government intervention in a simple problem. Very few people vote without ID, most people have ID. Its a minimal number, and not enough to warrant the response many are suggesting, preventing your right to vote without paying the state money.

Poll tax
You have to ID yourself to get social services if you are THAT broke, so you should also do so to vote.

If you can't take the time to get a state ID card for free then you shouldn't have the right to vote.
You are also supposed to serve in Jury Duty. How can you serve on a jury without identifying yourself? How can you do any banking? How can you access any public services? How do you prevent fraud without identification?

In this case the need for ID out weights the privilege to vote without one.
Sounds stupid that some states would ever allow people to vote unidentified like some do. Sounds ripe for mafia/union thugs IMO.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So does anybody here even know someone of voting age that dosnt have an id?
Someone already answered this, but I'll give another example. My mom's driver's license was revoked due to a head injury. She kept the card, but it eventually expired and she couldn't renew it. We found this out when we flew her out here to CO to stay with us and eventually move into an assisted living center. (The airline let her through anyway, thank G*d! I guess she didn't look like a terrorist.) We were always going to take her to the DMV to get the alternative ID, but never did. The last time she voted, she was living in a boarding home in PA and voted absentee. You can request an absentee ballot and need nothing other than your signature to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm glad they did that in Kansas, because in Wisconsin, they passed the new restrictions, and then closed down DMV's in areas populated by students and low income voters. Those radical right wingers (I don't claim them as real republicans) couldn't have been more obvious that it was politically motivated if they tried. If you think you have to gain an advantage by restricting other American citizens who disagree with you from the polls, then maybe you don't deserve to win. The sooner those nuts are out of the R party, the better.

If the state would provide a free id, free assistance with locating a birth certificate for that purpose, and a ride to the DMV (or bring the DMV to the voters) to get the photo taken, I'd be fine with requiring an id to vote--otherwise it becomes a poll tax. What I'm not fine with is spending that kind of government money for an imagined problem. It's a waste.

As for needing the law to begin with--how many dead people have had their identity stolen to vote--I'm not talking about the stuff that came out this week that hasn't been fully investigated or verified--I mean proven cases over the last 10 years? This is a non issue--it is very rare. If you were that concerned about "zombie" voters, you'd be putting the heat on your secretary of state's office to strengthen the process to take those people off the voter rolls on a timely basis--that would solve your imagined "problem" a whole lot faster than anything else. How will a state id help the process of voter fraud by people who've moved away from the area? It won't, but you fail to mention that part, and that situation is probably more common than "dead people" voting.
I agree with all the above.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Geez, girl, didn't you read my post about Kansas offering pictures for free since not everybody drives? I guess not, huh?
We don't all live in Kansas, Dorothy.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
Hawaii is one of the, if not "the" most liberal state. They miraculously? require photo ID for anyone to vote, and they match it with the computer printout and the person signs the printout, too.

The only possible reason the libs can oppose this is that it will prevent their desired Voter and Election Fraud! Good grief....

not a coinkydink that the libs also oppose and hope to change the votes within any company to decide if they "go union" or not, to remain secret ballots! Sheesh....they want to know each and every person that refuses to support unionization so that they can intimidate/bully them into submission.

Last edited by Sunnysee; 01-13-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Someone already answered this, but I'll give another example. My mom's driver's license was revoked due to a head injury. She kept the card, but it eventually expired and she couldn't renew it. We found this out when we flew her out here to CO to stay with us and eventually move into an assisted living center. (The airline let her through anyway, thank G*d! I guess she didn't look like a terrorist.) We were always going to take her to the DMV to get the alternative ID, but never did. The last time she voted, she was living in a boarding home in PA and voted absentee. You can request an absentee ballot and need nothing other than your signature to get one.

I agree with all the above.
You say nothing is needed for an absentee ballot but a signature. It would be nice to have to sign something anytime you vote. The man in the video I supplied didn't do anything more than agree that the dead person he claimed to be lived at an address that the judge gave him. Dead people voting seems to be more of a problem some places that others. I remember in 2008 that there were many of them in one Ohio county and know that too many dead people could have voted in New Hampshire the other day. I wonder how many did vote in New Hampshire.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Poll tax
Our new law in Kansas say that nobody has to buy their ID and they even have places to get them adjacent to polling places. Now if you can get to the polling place surely you can get the picture ID just before going there.

Those people in New Hampshire kept telling the man that he didn't need any kind of ID to vote so he said he would get one and be back.

I guess you don't remember back when driver's licenses started coming into vogue. Well of course not, you aren't old enough. It came into law in most states before I was born. Also states felt the need for tags for cars before I was born. Do you think that it is only through gasoline taxes that we finance those roads? I hardly think so. Get an electric mobile and use those roads for free in your system.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Because its unconstitutional to make someone pay for material in order to partake in a political election.
Guess by that logic it should be illegal to require someone to get a free id to get a job

Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Because the Democrats are against Big Government intruding into our lives and trampling the rights of Citizens.
Except when it comes to gun rights

Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Guess by that logic it should be illegal to require someone to get a free id to get a job
No, you're talking free; the other poster is talking about requiring one to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies