Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you have to pay for the birth certificate to get the ID, that is a cost. Not to mention time consuming.

You're late to the party; obviously missed a couple of posts that documented elderly people (including my mom, a Republican) whose driver's licenses have expired, have their social security checks on direct deposit. have long had a bank account and aren't out opening new ones, etc.
No that is a cost to get something you need to have regardless. You are reaching here.

Sorry I dont believe for a single second that your mom doesnt need an ID for something in her life and even if her license is expired she still has something to prove it. I hope she isnt driving. Also not sure why you are pointing out that your mother is a republican as if that makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No that is a cost to get something you need to have regardless. You are reaching here.

Sorry I dont believe for a single second that your mom doesnt need an ID for something in her life and even if her license is expired she still has something to prove it. I hope she isnt driving. Also not sure why you are pointing out that your mother is a republican as if that makes any difference.
Well, she's dead, so she doesn't need anything.

Go read upthread. You will see what happened. What a mean, nasty ass*umption that she is still driving.

The freakin' thread title says that DEMS oppose photo ID. I was pointing out that it can affect Repubs too.

I swear, with you RWs, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
The libs remain "most suspect" for not wanting folks to have to be ID'ed to vote. Of course they are the party most-known for Voter and Election fraud.

Hawaii remains one of the, if not "the" most leftist state but they amazingly demand photo ID and it must match the name on the computer printout, and the person must signature it before they sign.

Hmmm.....

Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,456 times
I know a few elderly people that don't have current IDs. They don't drive or engage in activities that require ID. If I didn't drive I could probadly get by without it.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 PM

45,419 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I took my mother to the opthamologist a couple or three weeks before she died a couple years ago (he just confirmed what I knew, she was going blind). She was asked to produce positive ID (again, she was a return patient in a small town, the receptionist lived down the street from her and went to high school with me) in addition to her Medicare card. She used her expired driver's license which was photocopied by the staff.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:07 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:

Go read upthread. You will see what happened. What a mean, nasty ass*umption that she is still driving.

The freakin' thread title says that DEMS oppose photo ID. I was pointing out that it can affect Repubs too.

I am sorry I didnt read that she was passed away and why would I think you are using a person that passed away as an example?

But why are you using someone that passed away as an example.

Bottom line not sure what world you live in that a person doesnt need to be able to verify who they are.

An ID is free when required to vote and the excuse that they have to provide a BC is lame since at some point and time you need some type of something to verify who you are.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:

How absolutely simple would it be for people to get picture IDs when they can get them at the voting place as long as they have some proof who they are? In Kansas the new law went into effect just last Tuesday in a local election and not one person failed to produce a picture ID. Well some of the older ones had to visit the state supplied place to get the free picture ID before they were allowed to vote. They had to go clear over next door to the polling pace to get them.

I don't want to see national ID cards but these are purely state and will have to be used since no court has declared our law unconstitutional, yet. Maybe we need to have that law submitted to the 9th Judicial Circuit so it can be declared unconstitutional.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I know a few elderly people that don't have current IDs. They don't drive or engage in activities that require ID. If I didn't drive I could probadly get by without it.
I have carried a card that has all the ID on my Birth Certificate since 1950. I have never used it for any kind of ID but thought maybe I might some time. I am pretty elderly too, at 79, but I also drive.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I am sorry I didnt read that she was passed away and why would I think you are using a person that passed away as an example?

But why are you using someone that passed away as an example.

Bottom line not sure what world you live in that a person doesnt need to be able to verify who they are.

An ID is free when required to vote and the excuse that they have to provide a BC is lame since at some point and time you need some type of something to verify who you are.
I was using her as an example of someone who did not posess a state ID when she was alive. She had no need for one. Believe it or not, there are many people living in assisted living facilities and such who do not drive, do not go around opening bank accounts, who get their social security checks direct deposited into long-standing bank accounts, who don't go out cashing checks at money exchange places b/c they have no real need for wads of cash, use credit cards for what little shopping they do, etc. My mother in law is such a person.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM

858 posts, read 708,003 times
I have sided with the Democrats on many issues but I am not against requiring voter ID...however I think a compromise can be made. It really does appear to me that Republicans are bringing this up in hopes of limiting voters who generally vote Democrat. I think the fair thing to do is to NOT limit it in this election however hand out voter ID forms to people along with a notice that the next election will enforce it. Likewise, set up major voting places with an ID place so those without ID's can go vote, and then get a photo ID if they so choose...free of charge of course. I think thats a win-win for everyone...unless of course Republicans really are trying to supress voters which will be evident but their answers to my compromise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies