Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yes you have. You just ignored it or chose not to think about it.

Bob is able to enter into marriage.

Jeff is able to enter into marriage.

Sally is able to enter into marriage.

Bob and Sally are able to enter into marriage together.
Bob and Jeff are NOT able to enter into marriage together.

The law treats Jeff and Sally differently, based solely upon their sex. This is sex discrimination.
No, it isn't because Bob and Jeff can't marry regardless of their sexual orientation. It is not because they are gay, because they could not marry even if they were straight. Get it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am a straight male. Can I marry another man?

No, I cannot, so don't tell me the law is different for you and me.
Apply your logic to interracial marriage bans. I take it you very much disagree with our Supreme Court that such bans were unconstitutionally discriminatory? I mean, they treated everybody the same. Everybody could marry a person of the same race, and nobody could marry a person of a different race. Additionally, everybody was treated the same when it came to punishment - both blacks and white were punished equally under the law.

Also, what about DOMA? How is it that DOMA treats everybody the same?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:31 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
I am a straight male. Can I marry another man?

No, I cannot, so don't tell me the law is different for you and me.
Sally, a female, can marry you.
Bob, a male, cannot marry you.

The law is different for Bob and Sally.

Quote:
I have not seen a single post on this thread which would prove that the law treats people differently.
Now you have.

The law is discriminatory based upon sex.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Sally, a female, can marry you.
Bob, a male, cannot marry you.

The law is different for Bob and Sally.

The law is discriminatory based upon sex.
The point is that it is not discriminatory based on sexual orientation.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
It is discriminatory based upon sex and should be changed.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Does that mean you now are acknowledging that such laws are in fact discriminatory (not on sexual orientation, but based on sex)?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Love, maybe.... why does anyone one want to marry anyone?

I am just pointing out that it is legally possible for a gay person to marry another gay person. The law does not care about your sexual orientation. That't the whole point.

Another (free) legal lesson for you. Laws are not only discriminatory if they are discriminatory "on their face." If they are discriminatory in practical implementation and EFFECT, then they can also be discriminatory.

Thus, the fact that the restriction is based on SEX, has the EFFECT of causing discrimination based on SEXUALITY.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Another (free) legal lesson for you. Laws are not only discriminatory if they are discriminatory "on their face." If they are discriminatory in practical implementation and EFFECT, then they can also be discriminatory.

Thus, the fact that the restriction is based on SEX, has the EFFECT of causing discrimination based on SEXUALITY.
Case closed. Move on to another argument.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Does that mean you now are acknowledging that such laws are in fact discriminatory (not on sexual orientation, but based on sex)?
It is not discrimination, because no one is prohibited from marriage, and the same exact laws apply to everyone regardless of their sex, or sexual orientation. If the law applied only to women, but not men, then it would discriminate based on sex, but the law applies to both men and women. Same law applies to everyone.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
It is not discrimination, because no one is prohibited from marriage, and the same exact laws apply to everyone regardless of their sex, or sexual orientation. If the law applied only to women, but not men, then it would discriminate based on sex, but the law applies to both men and women. Same law applies to everyone.
So back to my hypothetical (which you chose not to address). If a law states "One may practice any religion in this state except for Christianity", would you argue it doesn't discriminate since everybody is allowed to practice religion and it applies equally to everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies