Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
And straight couples would be able to marry same sex couples after Gay Marriage is legalized, so no special rights are being afforded.
If it was changed it would obviously apply to everyone, just like the current law.

Does this mean you are the first to see the point here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If it was changed it would obviously apply to everyone, just like the current law.

We all see your point. Nobody but you, however, buys it. As I pointed out, not even the ban gay-marriage side argues it when in court. They acknowledge the discrimination inherent within the law, and then argue why it's good, legal, and necessary. TriMT7 put it better than I could, so I'll quote him from earlier:

//www.city-data.com/forum/22567966-post187.html

"Another (free) legal lesson for you. Laws are not only discriminatory if they are discriminatory "on their face." If they are discriminatory in practical implementation and EFFECT, then they can also be discriminatory.

Thus, the fact that the restriction is based on SEX, has the EFFECT of causing discrimination based on SEXUALITY."

Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:

No, but perhaps you're starting to see the absurdity of the position that "current marriage law does not discriminate."

Again: How come miscegenation laws were considered discriminatory and unconstitutional, when the law technically "applied to everyone equally" on its face?

You sidestepped the question earlier, saying it's about race and not sexuality... but why does it matter? ADDRESS the question.

If you can explain how miscegenation laws are "equal rights", then you may actually get somewhere promoting your idea that "gays have equal rights."

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM

135 posts, read 310,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Only by social taboos, quite honestly. The negative effects of incestual coupling are far overstated and for the severe stuff to honestly happen, you'll have to have generations upon generations of incestual coupling.

I'm just tired of society being governed by outdated taboos.
To each his own, I guess. Just seems weird to me.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleb View Post
To each his own, I guess. Just seems weird to me.
Hence "social taboos".

Old 01-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, but perhaps you're starting to see the absurdity of the position that "current marriage law does not discriminate."
They don't discriminate any more than homicide laws discriminate against murderers. There will always be someone who cries about discrimination, but they are just people who are not happy with the laws. Some cry discrimination because they can't smoke pot. You can't please everyone.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
They don't discriminate any more than homicide laws discriminate against murderers. There will always be someone who cries about discrimination, but they are just people who are not happy with the laws. Some cry discrimination because they can't smoke pot. You can't please everyone.
Homicide laws DO discriminate against murderers.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
To be fair, disallowing pot and allowing alcohol is right lunacy.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleb View Post
As a gay man, I was surprised to see the post about legalizing incestual marriage. I, and all my gay friends, are not in favor of this at all. And, I think that talking of such things will only deter our opponents. I'm sorry, but incestual marriage is just wrong on so many levels.
Surely they will argue that incest laws discriminate against someone, and therefore should be done away with.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Surely they will argue that incest laws discriminate against someone, and therefore should be done away with.
They do. If the couple is consenting, then there should be no laws against their relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies