Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 AM

943 posts, read 782,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not the money. Most inner city schools get the brunt of the money and it's not helping.

Throwing more money at a problem that is not financial will not solve anything.

The results of this charter school show that.
Could you prove that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
All we have to do is improve the infrastructure of inner city schools.

(New computers, new chemistry labs, assigned seating, new uniforms, assign an iPad for each student for EZ Internet research).

These things have been denied to them for far too long.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Could you prove that??
It's called Title 1. Educate yourself and read up on it.

Title I, Part A Program

Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In any case, it would seem that closing the achievement gap would probably be easier if a school doesn't have to meet the same standards as other schools and can limit itself to one race, thereby eliminating a lot of tension.
A lot of people would cry racism at the thought of segregating schools again but I happen to think that this could be a good idea. I don't think it's a coincidence that black academic achievement began sliding downwards when forced school integration became law in the 50s.

And I'll go a step further and add that schools should also try separating the sexes in classes since boys and girls learn differently, and it would also take away a lot of unnecessary distractions.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Not all poor performing students are unruly in class and are cussing at teachers. A lot of the problem is a lack of study skills. I imagine if we compare the hours spent on studying and doing homework, well performing with poor performing kids would show massive differences
I read somewhere Black and Hispanic students watch about twice as much TV as White and Asian students.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
When you starve inner-city schools of the money and give the money to the wealthy schools then what do you expect?

If this continues then African-Americans will have no choice but take to the streets.
The US has been throwing money at under-performing schools for generations and yet the achievement gap continues.

Quote:
Not all poor performing students are unruly in class and are cussing at teachers. A lot of the problem is a lack of study skills. I imagine if we compare the hours spent on studying and doing homework, well performing with poor performing kids would show massive differences
You are correct. It is an inconvenient truth but as I have stated before the problem lies within culture -

Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement
Professor Ogbu reveals in his research that middle-class black parents in general spent no more time on homework or tracking their children's schooling than poor white parents. And he said that while black students talked in detail about what efforts were needed to get an A and about their desire to achieve, too many nonetheless failed to put forth that effort.

'I would agree with Ogbu that there are youth cultural patterns and behaviors that are counterproductive for academic success,'' he went on, mentioning socializing in class and spending too much time watching television. ''But when they engage in those behaviors, they are not purposely avoiding academic success.''

Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Professor Ogbu passed away not too long ago. His research is spot on but not surprisingly the usual suspects instead attacked him instead of dealing with the conclusions of his research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The US has been throwing money at under-performing schools for generations and yet the achievement gap continues.

You are correct. It is an inconvenient truth but as I have stated before the problem lies within culture -

Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement
Professor Ogbu reveals in his research that middle-class black parents in general spent no more time on homework or tracking their children's schooling than poor white parents. And he said that while black students talked in detail about what efforts were needed to get an A and about their desire to achieve, too many nonetheless failed to put forth that effort.

'I would agree with Ogbu that there are youth cultural patterns and behaviors that are counterproductive for academic success,'' he went on, mentioning socializing in class and spending too much time watching television. ''But when they engage in those behaviors, they are not purposely avoiding academic success.''

Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Could you prove that??
Yes. At least in my school district.

Per the article, the highest funded school (which also has the highest poverty rate) receives $10,393 per pupil while the lowest receives $4,406. The highest funded school has about a 50% pass rate on end of grade tests. The lowest funded school has a 91% pass rate.

I'm glad they are attempting to close the gap, but clearly money is not the complete answer.

CMS spending: Bigger bucks go to poorer schools | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/09/1962672/cms-spending-bigger-bucks-go-to.html - broken link)

Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
That article gives a good overview of charter schools, but does not tell us who is running this particular school.

Quote:
Quantity does not equal quality, especially with homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
All we have to do is improve the infrastructure of inner city schools.

(New computers, new chemistry labs, assigned seating, new uniforms, assign an iPad for each student for EZ Internet research).

These things have been denied to them for far too long.
Yeah, that's all. You are incredibly naive if you believe that.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Personally as a parent of a Charter school student I believe it is because the teachers, administrators, and parents expect more of their students than the traditional public schools.

The teachers at my son's school are highly dedicated. Our day is longer. They only have 6 kids per class four days a week and on Friday they have 24 students per class, which is still lower than most classrooms in many urban schools. Our students start at the level they are currently at and work from there. They do not move on from any lesson unless they receive at least an 85% on unit tests. So if they get a 70% in math, they will have to re-do that chapter until they get an 85%. If they get an 80% in reading, they will re-do that unit until they get at least an 85%. One hundred percent of our kids passed our state's reading exam last year. Over 85% passed math and science. Our school is majority black, but we have about 3% white students. Our students also took the ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Standards) because here in GA, proficiency in subjects and by grade level on the state test (CRCT) is not on par with other state's standards, over 80% of our students were on target according to the ITBS in math and over 90% in reading/language arts.

Also want to point out that a public Charter school is still public. They are usually not selective in a sense of that they only accept children from caring backgrounds or who are high achievers. The majority of our students at my son's school were below average last year. Half of his class was below grade level in reading and math (2 of them could barely read at all and they were in the 3rd grade). This year nearly all of them were either on target or above average due to the dedication of our teachers. Many of them lack involved parents. We do not have a large turn out at PTA but we do have a good dedicated group of around 30 families, which is more than what was in my son's neighborhood school that I pulled him from in 2nd grade and their student population was more than double the charter school. Even children from challenged backgrounds can achieve with the correct amount of dedication by teachers. Those parents who are lacking and do not do homework with their kids, we have a free after school homework lab where students are required to come if they continuously do not do their homework.

I also feel that in many traditional schools and even in some charter schools, people just do not expect much from black children, especially black boys. I saw evidence of this in another thread, people do not feel that black boys/men are capable of being high achievers and responsible men. If we expect them to be so and push them to excel, they will excel. My son is above average in all areas. He is in 4th grade and reads at an 8th grade level. He is very proficient in math and wants to be an aeronautical engineer, I am pushing him towards this. We should stop making excuses for this eduational gap and do what we can on all levels, especially as parents to ensure our children succeed academically. We also should require that all schools not just pass or promote children who have not mastered the necessary skills. This is what I see most in majority black schools, teacher who feel bad for the child or who felt that the child worked hard, they may have worked hard and put in a lot of effort but those children need to master a skill or they will be set up for failure due to this "generosity," especially by the middle school grades.

Also wanted to point out that at our school and probably at this school as well, we do have a pretty strict disciplinary procedure. We do not paddle/spank but there are certain levels of discipline and if a child continuously is disruptive they may be expelled from school. Too many public schools have to accept children who are way to disruptive for regular school and I do feel that we need to bring back the remedial schools that schools used to have years ago. I know when I was younger we had a specific school in our city where the "bad kids" went to, kids who didn't know how to act even with caring involvement from teachers and administrators. There is no reason why the bad seeds should be left amongst students with more potential. The remedial schools could at least attempt to teach a skill to those children and the children who want to learn will be left to excel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies