Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think it would do smokers a bit of good to grow up and be real with themselves
Agreed. AND.....Smokers could stand to have a little more respect for those aroundf them that dont smoke.

Quote:
When I did smoke I knew it was killing me.
It only stands to reason that it is an unhealthy habit.

Quote:
I knew not to subject others to the habit
Kudos to you for having manners, something that is becoming very scarce among smokers and non alike.
Quote:

. I suppose you have to keep yourself in a state of denial to go through it day after day. I get that.
Don't pretend that you know mebecause you don't. I'm sure you and others will find it hard to believe, but I actually enjoy smoking MOST of the time. { Cue the "lying to ones self" comments }

Quote:
Hopefully, one day, you'll manage to quit
Hopefuly one day I will. Despite the fact that I enjoy it, it is quite costly and potentialy dangerous to my health.

Quote:
In the mean time, keep the smoke away from kids.
I always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
My whole family has ,the creeps wont budge at all. So smoking will always be contributed to cause of death.not venting just letting folks know the lies being spread. It maybe pointless for you but not us. hope no one in your family does anything not PC that will be attached to their death cert. cause it is wrong,very wrong
It is a question on the death certificate asking if smoking contributed to death. If a person is a known smoker the docter will check yes.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I have chronic respiratory problems due to second hand smoke.
As you have mentioned in your last 5 or 6 posts....what do you want?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Your whole post is pretty confusing.
If you go back and read the previous pages, you will see I issued a challenge to anyone willing to accept. The post will make more sense if you go back and read.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It is a question on the death certificate asking if smoking contributed to death. If a person is a known smoker the docter will check yes.
how come they wanted to know? to fudge the stats? he freaking burned to death not from smoking do they also ask if you ski out of bounds in avalanche areas or skate board on the interstate highways. freaking idiots

Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Agreed. AND.....Smokers could stand to have a little more respect for those aroundf them that dont smoke.

It only stands to reason that it is an unhealthy habit.

Kudos to you for having manners, something that is becoming very scarce among smokers and non alike.

Don't pretend that you know mebecause you don't. I'm sure you and others will find it hard to believe, but I actually enjoy smoking MOST of the time. { Cue the "lying to ones self" comments }
Yea, so did I, but it is the addiction. If you want to see if it's the actual smoking you enjoy or satiating the addiction, then give non-tobacco/nicotine cigs a try. You can find all kinds that are comprised of various leaves, herbs, whatever in a tobacco shop. 2:1 you wouldn't last a week, eh, if a day or two.

Quote:
Hopefuly one day I will. Despite the fact that I enjoy it, it is quite costly and potentialy dangerous to my health.
I'm guessing you're younger than I with the '88. Quitting gets harder the longer you wait. If you are young (24?) please do it now. What I would give to go back to your age and slap myself silly and quit.

Quote:
I always do.
That's good to read, tho, amazingly enough there are people arguing for it, or at least defending it, in this thread. It shouldn't matter how addicted a person gets, reason shouldn't be completely thrown out the window.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Quote:
Still waiting on you to provide me with that study vamos, but so far, you have completely ignored me. I would expect nothing less from a "truth.org" eduacated anti.
Well, obviously, somebody provided you with a list of studies earlier before I could even get around to doing so. The first thing you did was discount several of them because they were associated with the medical community. Oddly enough, I would think that health related research is generally conducted by the medical community and not by Horticulturists of America.

Your response made it pretty clear that you are not interested in reading that SHS is harmful. In that sense, you are no different than any other addict who desperately tries to justify his/her behavior as "not so bad." So, what's the point. It's like showing Obama's original birth certificate to a "Birther." It's pointless.

Tobacco smoke contains various toxins. Inhaling any toxins is, by definition, detrimental to a person's health. I wouldn't think that this is a difficult concept to grasp - and most people around the world agree. You, however, seems to believe that toxins inhaled (by a child) have absolutely no effect. How does that make any sense - rationally, not emotionally?

Quote:
No one here is arguing that at all, you know it, and only an ignoramous would suggest it, so what does that make you?
Well, DUH! Does smoking affect your ability to discern obvious sarcasm? Or is it that you feel so strongly about your position that you are always in "fight" mode? And what does either suggestion make you? Daft? Aggressive? Both?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Yea, so did I, but it is the addiction. If you want to see if it's the actual smoking you enjoy or satiating the addiction, then give non-tobacco/nicotine cigs a try. You can find all kinds that are comprised of various leaves, herbs, whatever in a tobacco shop. 2:1 you wouldn't last a week, eh, if a day or two

I might give that a try.

Quote:
That's good to read, tho, amazingly enough there are people arguing for it, or at least defending it, in this thread.
I could not and never would advocate putting childfren in harms way. What I am advocating for, is less law, and more freedom for the individual citizen. We shouldn't need a nanny watching over us to tell us what we can and can't do in matters of common sense.It would be nice to think that parents would have better common sense than to smoke around their kids, though this may not be the case. However, I will never support legislating it for reasons I have outlined throughout the thread.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-29-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
If you go back and read the previous pages, you will see I issued a challenge to anyone willing to accept. The post will make more sense if you go back and read.
I went back and read and I think I saw the challenge. You want evidence that smoking is damaging that does not come from an organized body, specifically the medical community. While I think that's ridiculous, we can have a discussion. I don't know how familiar you are with pathophysiology and biochem, but I suppose we can have a bare bones conversation about the individual toxins that result from smoke inhalation, what happens in the body, and potential long term effects. Of course, any kind of medical conversation we have is going to be linked to the "medical establishment". Is that what you're looking for?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Quote:
I could and never would advocate putting childfren in harms way. What I am advocating for, is less law, and more freedom for the individual citizen. We shouldn't need a nanny watching over us to tell us what we can and can't do in matters of common sense.It would be nice to think that parents would have better common sense than to smoke around their kids, though this may not be the case. However, I will never support legislating it for reasons I have outlined throughout the thread.
Well, we agree 100%. If you re-read, you'll find that I never mentioned anything about a law or banning any kind of behavior. I was only interested in the rationale for exposing kids to cigarette smoke in a confined space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies