Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times

Advertisements

U.S. News - Iconic skier's death points out U.S. health gap

By Kari Huus, msnbc.com
Since the death of Canadian skier Sarah Burke in January, fans and supporters from around the world have donated over $300,000 – more than enough to cover the massive U.S. medical bill generated by efforts to save her.

Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-30-2012 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,845 times
not sure i see what the point is. if you visit any other country then you take out travel insurance. if you participate in risky sports, then you take out appropriate insurance.

i dont necessarily agree with the american system, but everyone knows how expensive healthcare is in the US, and to come here without the appropriate level of insurance to cover medical expenses, particularly if you engage in risky activities, is frankly insanity.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
not sure i see what the point is. if you visit any other country then you take out travel insurance. if you participate in risky sports, then you take out appropriate insurance.

i dont necessarily agree with the american system, but everyone knows how expensive healthcare is in the US, and to come here without the appropriate level of insurance to cover medical expenses, particularly if you engage in risky activities, is frankly insanity.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely agree. (maybe this should end up in 'great debates' forum)

First, I know it is tragic that a young, talented person loses her life. I sympathize with the family and friends.

Insurance is a key aspect. Both travel and health. I carry it when I travel around the world, because otherwise most countries will send me a bill.

What I find puzzling about the news media article written was the 'U.S health gap'. I didn't know that the U.S. is obligated to provide free health care to anyone, from anywhere in the world, and that is a 'gap'. If that is the case, we should fly over all the injured who particpate in the 'running with the bulls' in Spain, Portugal etc, or those that are injured in Japan's tree-sliding festival.
Though we have tried to be the world's peace-keeper (with marginal success), I don't recommend we also become the world's free healthcare system.

Especially for those that participate in high-risk activities (and thus would be in a high-risk insurance pool, as I am), the burden of the consequences of taking those risks should not be conveyed financially on those that do not participate in them.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

What I find puzzling about the news media article written was the 'U.S health gap'. I didn't know that the U.S. is obligated to provide free health care to anyone, from anywhere in the world, and that is a 'gap'. If that is the case, we should fly over all the injured who particpate in the 'running with the bulls' in Spain, Portugal etc, or those that are injured in Japan's tree-sliding festival.
If that were true how come those of us living here aren't getting it ?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Though we have tried to be the world's peace-keeper (with marginal success), I don't recommend we also become the world's free healthcare system.
Fly them over??? The accident happened in Utah, not in Spain, and no one is saying US is obligated to do anything, the article simple points out the differences between the systems between different countries. Very few countries send out half million dollar bills for hospital visits.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Why didn't she buy the Canadian coverage in America?

An Olympic athlete with loads of endorsements surely had the money to purchase the extra Canadian coverage that covered all medical expenses in the states

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
If that were true how come those of us living here aren't getting it ?

If you are living here, and not paying for health care (i.e. insurance), then do you expect the rest of the population that IS paying for it to subsidize you?
Let's give everyone free health care. Let's give everyone whatever they want because they deserve it.
I want a new Aston Martin... I think that some of the taxes you pay should help subsidize it.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why didn't she buy the Canadian coverage in America?

An Olympic athlete with loads of endorsements surely had the money to purchase the extra Canadian coverage that covered all medical expenses in the states
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H

Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:

If you are living here, and not paying for health care (i.e. insurance), then do you expect the rest of the population that IS paying for it to subsidize you?
Let's give everyone free health care. Let's give everyone whatever they want because they deserve it.
I want a new Aston Martin... I think that some of the taxes you pay should help subsidize it.
You can laugh, but, essentially, that's how it works in the rest of the civilized world. All of them are wrong, and only America gets it right... right. Not.

H

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
Believe me, I know that medical care is what I would consider "over priced".

But the point remains, she got the care even without the ability to pay.

The problem in the United States is just that, we have mandated care, with no way to pay for it.

Thank you Ronald Reagan

I've explained it many times.

Healthcare was mandated, with no way to pay for it. So if a hospital takes any federal money, they have to care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

So how is a private sector facility supposed to make up for such a loss? Well, you charge those with insurance more, or give them procedures that aren't needed.

Then you make up the difference. The problem is that then insurers have to raise their rates, causing more people to drop off the insurance role. Then you have more people getting free care without paying. So then the hospitals have to charge more, and more, and more money. They give more, and more, and more needless procedures.

I don't like Obamacare, but it should at least slow that trend a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies