Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"so they go the ER for the flu, then get a massive bill that they never pay.."

Hey, you may be onto something here.
First, I can transfer all my assets into a blind trust, get the houses out of my name, so I appear destitute. Then I can get free healthcare in the ER. I can get food stamps, and Section 8 housing, maybe some sort of disability or Social Security...all paid for by your generosity, by paying your taxes and insurance premiums.

Quote:"So sue all you want, send bill collectors all you want, it doesn't matter."

Simplest way is to attach your salary.
Healthcare bills aren't allowed to be deducted from ones pay checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The accident happened in Utah, not in Spain, and no one is saying US is obligated to do anything, the article simple points out the differences between the systems between different countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Leave her lay there and die. Problem solved.
It's a good thing she didn't go to the emergency room at a Canadian hospital...she could have died.

I see the article didn't point out that Canada's "free" health care is under-funded, under-staffed and under-performing.

Quote:
Risk of death with crowded emergency rooms

In an analysis of more than 14 million patients in Canada, researchers found that hospital shifts with longer average waiting times were linked to a higher risk of patients dying, or returning to the hospital for more treatment, in the following seven days.

Death From Neglect In A Canadian Hospital Emergency Room

Quote:
Emergency room death sparks investigation
Emergency room death sparks investigation - Canada - Canoe.ca
Canada's "free" health care is just super.

You get to die in the emergency room after 28 hours without ever having seen a doctor.

Isn't it time America had "free" health care....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What price do you place on a human life?
I asked first, about 2 years ago, and no Liberal on C-D has dared to answer the question, even though I've asked on more than half-a dozen different threads.

Unless and until you are willing to place a price on human life, you will never be able to fund an health care system in the US.

You want to spend $1 Million per person per life-time? Okay, then show me the money up front, because you ain't got $308 TRILLION and you never will have it.

You want to limit that to $500,000 per person per life-time? That would be $154 TRILLION. You ain't got the money for that either.

You want to spend $250,00 per person per life-time?

That would be $77 TRILLION, and sorry, you can't afford that either.

$125,000 per person per life-time is doable, if and only if you fire about 2 Million federal employees (and contractors who aren't federal employees but who work for the federal government and suck up tax dollars just the same), and eliminate a bunch of programs, like HUD.

I don't think you fully comprehend (or appreciate) what 1 TRILLION is. To you people like you, it's just another number, like "5." 1 or 12 or 10 Million or 2 TRILLION, it's all the same to people like you.

The Great Money Fairy, clad in the most shimmering samite flies down on her Unicorn from her Great White Ivory Tower on the Isle of Love in the Sea of Kum-ba-ya and waves her magic wand and money falls out of the sky for everyone.

Pricing...

Mircea

Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not true, do you realize how many people get treated at the ER every year for the flu?

Again, if you make 40K a year, you don't give a damn about your credit report. You have to buy cars at buy here pay heres, and you will rarely ever own a home in most places. So sue all you want, send bill collectors all you want, it doesn't matter.

Thats the point, we have many people who can't afford insurance, can't afford care, so they go the ER for the flu, then get a massive bill that they never pay. The hospital then charges others more to make up the difference, because you can't pay the bills with other peoples IOU's
That is the hospital's choice. They are not required to do that by law.

Quote:
Giving flu shots to tots cuts ER visits by a third - Health - Children's health - msnbc.com

She didn't clarify anything, she is reading the words, not acknowledging reality.

If you walk into the ER, they treat you as if your life depends on it, regardless of what you actually have. Its law.
"She" is right here, don't talk about me like I've died or something.

Of course giving flu shots cuts down on flu cases.

Quote:
Isn't that about the proportion of uninsured in this country?

Nearly 50 million Americans uninsured, CDC says – - CNN.com Blogs

Almost 50 million Americans are without health insurance– 3 million more than a year ago, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The report finds one in five people were uninsured during some portion of the last 12 months.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,797 times
Quote:
Healthcare bills aren't allowed to be deducted from ones pay checks.
Oh yes they are!!!!!

I worked in a hospital, a collection agency for a hospital and had hospital and other medical bills go to collection... Yes.. they can deduct, they can sue, they can put liens...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Trip to the emergency room for a toothache costs man more than $1,300 - Tampa Bay Times

AS STATED

You'll be told you have to pay through the nose for it. As stated, they can sue you. As stated, they can send bill collectors after you. As stated, your credit rating would be ruined.

But, as stated, most Americans don't give a damn about their credit rating anyway, because its already ruined.

"He returned for gum therapy, but not the rest. The projected cost, he says, was about $3,500. "I don't have that much money,'' he said, and no dental insurance."

Heres what the ER said

"His symptoms could be life-threatening,'' explained Chris Duffy, Coast Dental's spokeswoman. Extreme dental infections can close a windpipe.

"With swelling and the level of pain he described and what we knew about his dental history, we knew he had to be seen immediately," Duffy said.

So, anything can be considered life threatening, and the ER has to take you, period.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"So, anything can be considered life threatening, and the ER has to take you, period"

Anything can, but let's be practical (actually, gum issues can be life-threatening). If it is determined not to be life-threatening, and you have no insurance (or ability to pay), and it is a FP hospital, they will call you a taxi. Trust me on this one.

We used to call them GOMER's (Get out Of My Emergency Room), or KLINGONS (those that you had a hard time getting rid of).

Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,797 times
If you walk intoa NFP emergency room and say my finger hurts -they are obligated to see you. They cannot turn you away, regardless of your ability to pay.
Hospitals also tack on ridiculous charges based on your "level" or care. A simple "my finger hurts" can rack you up over $1000 just in a hospital bill - that does not include the doctors fee or any lab work or any xrays taken. That is usually independent of the hospital.

Health insurance alone for families is preposterously expensive so many with families don't even elect to have it. These same families generally qualify for state medical care for their young children.. (the children ARE taken care of).

An adult who is having teeth issues CAN have that fixed, generally it is covered by the state aid for pulling of teeth only - not fixing gums, no root canals, nothing - just pulling.

Obama care is not going to fix the problem. The problem lies in the base human of greed. The doctors are still going to charge you whatever they can - they have their $300,000+ salary to maintain. The hospitals will still charge whatever they can - after all their administrators still need to make over $500,000 a year and the drug companies will keep charging as much as they can.. Nothing in Obama care fixes this... it only looks at the middle man - your insurance that HELPS cover these costs.

The healthcare in the US is very good in comparison to countries that have socialized medicine - those countries ration medicine, they ration care, they ration proceures based on your life expectancy and contribution to society. A huge article went through many years ago about the rationing of healthcare in Europe. It happens now - it will only get worse.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Oh yes they are!!!!!

I worked in a hospital, a collection agency for a hospital and had hospital and other medical bills go to collection... Yes.. they can deduct, they can sue, they can put liens...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely agree...

A long time ago I had a gf that had a collection agency... wow, they are ruthless (I was scared of her ). Any debt can be collected. They just keep escalating. I hope your house is homesteaded, and you don't mind liens being placed on you, or sitting down in front of a judge.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
U.S. News - Iconic skier's death points out U.S. health gap

By Kari Huus, msnbc.com
Since the death of Canadian skier Sarah Burke in January, fans and supporters from around the world have donated over $300,000 – more than enough to cover the massive U.S. medical bill generated by efforts to save her.

Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link
she had great fan. to bad she wasnt smart enough to get ins. I tough canadians had free health care, why are they not covering their citizen when the are visiting other countries? do you think the Iconic skier's death was cause because of American health system. Maybe the American health system that took care of the skier, should sue the canadian government. dont understand whats the beef here!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM

54 posts, read 72,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's a good thing she didn't go to the emergency room at a Canadian hospital...she could have died.

I see the article didn't point out that Canada's "free" health care is under-funded, under-staffed and under-performing.

Death From Neglect In A Canadian Hospital Emergency Room

Emergency room death sparks investigation - Canada - Canoe.ca
Canada's "free" health care is just super.

You get to die in the emergency room after 28 hours without ever having seen a doctor.

Isn't it time America had "free" health care....

Mircea
"Under-funded, under-staffed and under-performing" relative to what?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
People should Undertstand we here in Canada do not have "free" healthcare Rather we pay for it with higher Taxes to fund it...

Why does everyone assume it is Free and BTW it was a sad tragedy that Sarah Burke passed away as she was a pioneer in promoting her sport.

Also it was thought that Red Bull who sponsered her had purchsed her comprehensive health insurance but later found out they did not and well I have no problem as a Candian funding a fellow Canadians healthcare/Hospital bills.

Helping each other out and looking out for one another is a good thing IMO

P.S.

We have a preventive Healthcare System that is set up to PREVENT people from getting super ill/Sick in the first place and thus not costing tons of money.

Since it is cheaper in the long run to prevent a heart attack or type 2 diabetes then wait till they almost die from it before we treat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies